Media Did Khamzat Chimaev finally bite off more than he could chew?

Who knows. After all, it's a fight in a sandbox, meaning no weigh-ins and PED control for the homeboy. Also, Whitaker is an ex-WW, which figures, as Khamzat prefers to fight lightweights at WW and WWs at MW. On the other side, the fact that there's still time for Whitaker to go through a full camp doesn't bode well for Khamzat.

Who knows. After all, it's a fight in a sandbox, meaning no weigh-ins and PED control for the homeboy. Also, Whitaker is an ex-WW, which figures, as Khamzat prefers to fight lightweights at WW and WWs at MW. On the other side, the fact that there's still time for Whitaker to go through a full camp doesn't bode well for Khamzat.
Yea I think the initial plan was to give Cannonier to Khamzat to try and fast track him to a MW title shot then Dana and co realized Cannonier used to be a HW.

we will find out now. this kills people speculating that he's a genuine title contender or if he is just a ranked gatekeeper

He’s definitely getting a leap up the division with this match making. Glad Whittaker accepted. I actually can see this being competitive.

I think if this was the Whitaker prior to the first Izzy fight maybe Whitaker wins.
imo whittaker's game revolves around his opponent looking to wrestle. any time a superior kickboxer faces him he's kind of out of his league in a kickboxing match. forcing khamzat to box when he wants to hold rob against the fence is where i see this going

Back