did wilder's stock go up or down?

reveler

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
he was so inactive for much of the fight that he really needed a late KO...but maybe that was his strategy all along.
he has terrible defense...but we did see that he took some good punches and recovered.
he really only does damage with the right hand...but he can do it with hooks, straights, and uppercuts.
really inaccurate, spastic, flailing punches when he tries to finish...but only really needs glancing blows anyway.

i think we were all hoping for some questions to be answered with wilder after this fight, but i feel like its the same old two-sided coin with him as it was before the fight.

fury drowns wilder in a long 12 round siege of inside work and (if in shape) can use some speed and length on the outside.

joshua is bigger, younger, and faster than ortiz. ortiz was just missing with punches throughout the fight as wilder basically just backpedaled out of the way; joshua would cover that distance and make wilder pay. plus, we've seen joshua come back both from being knocked down and from punching himself out. the X factor is that wilder has 40 fights and is in his 30s. his technical limitations are etched in stone. joshua is still improving and we should expect him to be better each fight.

Definitely up. But he'll still lose to Joshua and Fury.

I've been pondering this. On the plus side he just beat his toughest opponent and stopped him. He showed good heart in fighting through when he was badly hurt and carried his power into the late rounds. On the downside, he's quite lazy and gives away rounds and that was against a plodder like Ortiz who doesn't exactly have a high work rate and he showed he is vulnerable but then Ortiz does hit hard.

I think that this showing doesn't change so much how a fight with AJ would go down because one of them is getting knocked out. I'd still pick AJ at this point because I think Deontays defensive strategy that worked against someone with a shorter reach wouldn't work as well against AJ who is only 1 inch shorter than Wilder. But a fight with Fury if he got fully fit would be a dominant victory to Fury because Wilder would get badly outboxed and outworked based on this performance.

He beat the undefeated boogeyman by knockout, after showing he can take a punch.

Did his stock go up or down? My goodness what a difficult question.

I've been pondering this. On the plus side he just beat his toughest opponent and stopped him. He showed good heart in fighting through when he was badly hurt and carried his power into the late rounds. On the downside, he's quite lazy and gives away rounds and that was against a plodder like Ortiz who doesn't exactly have a high work rate and he showed he is vulnerable but then Ortiz does hit hard.

I think that this showing doesn't change so much how a fight with AJ would go down because one of them is getting knocked out. I'd still pick AJ at this point because I think Deontays defensive strategy that worked against someone with a shorter reach wouldn't work as well against AJ who is only 1 inch shorter than Wilder. But a fight with Fury if he got fully fit would be a dominant victory to Fury because Wilder would get badly outboxed and outworked based on this performance.
Joshua has a 2” shorter reach than Ortiz and in no way can box as well.

Fury would get his head knocked into the third row.

He showed some inability to deal with a jab and he took a lot of rounds to adjust but he showed some heart and a good chin.

Personally, I've never thought it was good to celebrate a guy for chin and guts. Its a nice way of saying he got hit a lot.

No that's not true. I always thought it was fishy that Ortiz supposedly had a 1" reach advantage over Wilder and I was right they measured Ortiz before the fight and he has a 76" reach and is only 6'3". That explains why Ortiz was struggling to land on Wilder who was able to stay out of range just by stepping back a little. He wouldn't have been able to do that if Ortiz really had an 84" reach.

And there is no way Wilder is landing anything on the Fury that showed up against Wlad. I've not seen anything about Wilders boxing to make me doubt that.

Last edited:
No that's not true. I always though it was fishy that Ortiz supposedly had a 1" reach advantage over Wilder and I was right they measured Ortiz before the fight and he has a 76" reach and is only 6'3"
Apparently 78”. Interesting.

The point stands that he doesnt box as well but that length will be an interesting thing to watch when AJ and Wilder have it out.

Personally, I've never thought it was good to celebrate a guy for chin and guts. Its a nice way of saying he got hit a lot.
I agree, but people were claiming Wilder had a glass jaw so it's still good to have shown it's not true.

Apparently 78”. Interesting.

The point stands that he doesnt box as well but that length will be an interesting thing to watch when AJ and Wilder have it out.
Where did you see 78" I'm only seeing reports of 76"? AJ works harder than Ortiz, Wilder won't be able to give up rounds like he did against Ortiz or he'll be in trouble.

The sad part is, with the current state of boxing, a fight that fucking close wont even be re matched. Ortiz was controlling that fight via slick counter punching and a better jab and then got K.O. I think he deserves a rematch and would love to see it.

Deontay showcased crazy fight changing power last night man...what a beast.

Where did you see 78" I'm only seeing reports of 76"? AJ works harder than Ortiz, Wilder won't be able to give up rounds like he did against Ortiz or he'll be in trouble.
Kinda hard to say what you can and cant do with AJ based on Ortiz. Game plans change for every opponent, and he definitely had one for Ortiz.

As a fighter - up - as he showed a chin and heart and came back from a beating to win.

As a guy I can get behind - flat - I really liked the old calm Alabama Wilder whereas the shit talking Wilder is a bit of a turn off. Doesn’t really matter though, still pumped for an AJ showdown. Gonna go to it too.

Personally speaking it hasn’t. He was a top 2 hw before the fight, and he still is now. The fight went pretty much as I thought; he beat a top fighter but showed his vulnerabilities. This fight just solidifies his position, exactly the same as Joshua’s fight with wlad, and with so many similarities. I’m still about 60/40 in favour of Joshua simply because he is the better boxer and I think it will give him more opportunities to land that Big shot. Nothing’s changed after last nights performance

Now let’s hope wilder and his team can be sensible in the negotiations if Joshua wins. All this crying about being ducked is laughable, Joshua is the guy actively seeking the belts and challenging himself. Wilder only got in on the act last night. the fights there for him but he ain’t getting half share.

The sad part is, with the current state of boxing, a fight that fucking close wont even be re matched. Ortiz was controlling that fight via slick counter punching and a better jab and then got K.O. I think he deserves a rematch and would love to see it.

Deontay showcased crazy fight changing power last night man...what a beast.
There won't be a rematch because Joshua vs Wilder is being put together. Maybe if Parker somehow upsets Joshua but thats not happening.

You stock doesn't go down after the best win in your career.

Goes up, but you kind of get the feeling that you are buying stocks on the margin when you invest in him.

i guess i shouldnt have said stock up/down, because it is a quality win.

i mean, does anyone feel that after this fight, his chances against joshua or fury are better than they were before the fight. to me, its mixed, despite the win.

About same for me, but I’ve always felt he is overrated. Fury and AJ beat him.

Last edited:

Lol seriously? Fury beats Wilder 9/10 times.

Back