Did Yan beat Aldo in his prime?

Did Volk become the new WEC FW champ after the fight?
Good question - let's see who the lineal WEC FW champ is:
Aldo-Conor-Nate-Conor-Khabib. So it's Khabib, unless you say he vacated the belt when he retired, and it's now vacant.

Was it the second peak?

Second peak, visibly lower than his first one though. Aldo is an athletic freak even as he gets older and shopworn from a long tough career. But he lacks the tenacity and dynamic dynamicism he once had that visibly set him apart from everyone else, and while his game has picked up some technical improvements, he's gas tank has gotten worse with time and he's taken away his kicking, kneeling and overall aggression to help mitigate that. He was on par with Yan and visibly quicker until the fight started to get deeper into the 3rd and by the 4th it was clear Yan would run away with it, Yan a slower starter who pours it on more as the fight goes vs Aldo who's even at his age pretty much the best or one of the best in the world at 135 and 145 for the first 2 rounds.

No. Prime Aldo was a FW, not a BW. If you want to separate his runs in both divisions as separate tenures, then still no. Aldo started his BW career losing to older and chinny Marlon Moraes before the Yan fight (very close fight, but it's not like the fight's going to be a feather in Aldo's cap even if you think he deserved the decision).

Aldo's looked better than he ever did in those first two BW fights over his previous two. If he has a BW prime, this is it.

Good question - let's see who the lineal WEC FW champ is:
Aldo-Conor-Nate-Conor-Khabib. So it's Khabib, unless you say he vacated the belt when he retired, and it's now vacant.
Lineal champions are probably the stupidest thing boxing analysts invented to make themselves seem more useful than they really are.

It’s hard to say because Aldo skill wise has never looked better at BW. But physicality, cardio, and especially durability have declined since then.

But skill wise he was and probably still is improving which is crazy. His boxing has never looked better

I hope Yan fights Triple C next

Attachments

• 9778E651-3A9B-4BE4-AE23-A69EF6DFBC16.jpeg
    9778E651-3A9B-4BE4-AE23-A69EF6DFBC16.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
nah, aldo is just THAT good he can compete and stay competitive with multiple generations of top 5 guys. no cherrypicking easy "name" or "money" opponents.

his conditioning just isnt what it once was, and hes not as dynamic on the feet. his boxing has gotten more controlled and calculated, and he's still just as athletic as everyone else, but hes more 1 dimensional than ever and he can only fight a championship pace for 2 rounds. by the 3rd round he starts to slow down.

if he had his conditioning to go 5 rounds, he would have beat max, volkanovski, yan etc. and whoever else

The first four rounds of that fight was great. All I'll say. The thread weirdo one.

God no. Aldo's prime is when he turned Faber's leg into an elephant's leg. Props to Faber for hanging on despite the pain.

It's just a crazy world and styles make fights.

I don't see any version of Aldo losing to Aljo Sterling. I can't imagine Aldo having his back taken for 3/4ths of a fight.

But Aljo did beat Yan which was a surprise to me.
This version of Aldo loses to Sterling. Aljo gets to him in the later rounds with his grappling. He might have some ugly moments in the first couple of rounds. Aldo is still a hard puzzle to crack, even though he isn't at his best anymore.

Second peak, visibly lower than his first one though. Aldo is an athletic freak even as he gets older and shopworn from a long tough career. But he lacks the tenacity and dynamic dynamicism he once had that visibly set him apart from everyone else, and while his game has picked up some technical improvements, he's gas tank has gotten worse with time and he's taken away his kicking, kneeling and overall aggression to help mitigate that. He was on par with Yan and visibly quicker until the fight started to get deeper into the 3rd and by the 4th it was clear Yan would run away with it, Yan a slower starter who pours it on more as the fight goes vs Aldo who's even at his age pretty much the best or one of the best in the world at 135 and 145 for the first 2 rounds.
He was on par with Yan the first couple of rounds but that doesn't really tell the story. Yan is a slow starter and Aldo is a beast in the first round (or two). When Yan turned it on, Aldo had nothing for him.

This version of Aldo loses to Sterling. Aljo gets to him in the later rounds with his grappling. He might have some ugly moments in the first couple of rounds. Aldo is still a hard puzzle to crack, even though he isn't at his best anymore.
I wish he had a better next opponent. Sure Merab's been hot lately but it still reeks of gatekeeper fight.

I wish he had a better next opponent. Sure Merab's been hot lately but it still reeks of gatekeeper fight.
I agree. Aldo deserves better on a 3 fight win streak including Chito. I think the fight should be Aldo vs Sandhagen. Cory is getting it worse fighting #9, especially since many including me thought he beat TJ.

Back