Did you guys have to pay for your Varsity Letterman Jackets in high school?

Graduated from high school in 07, we had to pay for ours. I didn’t ever wear mine but my mom wanted to wear it at my wrestling tournaments. Letters were free. My jacket was pretty loaded cuz I wasn’t a can.

946d8e8a404b2622046b158872be9141.455x341x1.jpg

I lettered in Varsity Baseball. Yep had to pay for my jacket but my letter and patches were free. The girls loved wearing my jacket during sporting events.

I went to a super progressive high school where you picked your own classes like it was college and there were no rules, no detentions (you had a 'conversation' if you were in trouble, which was almost worse), tons of freedom and free time, called teachers by their first name, etc. No one would have worn them, but I don't even know if they had letterman jackets. Got to keep my warm ups for basketball (still wear the snap away pants around the house sometimes in the summer because they're comfortable and breath a lot) and our windbreaker for baseball (both had our names on them anyway). Can't remember if we paid for them or not. Probably did.

Last edited:
Been a while since I was in high school, but I think you had to buy the jacket, and the letters or patches on it had to be earned.
This is how it was at my school, which was in a small brokeass school district. I didn't have a jacket because I didn't want to pay $200 for something that I would wear for one or two years and never again in my life. Anyone could go buy a jacket, but letters had to be earned and were given by the school.

I went to a super progressive high school where you picked your own classes like it was college and there were no rules, no detentions (you had a 'conversation' if you were in trouble, which was almost worse), tons of freedom and free time, called teachers by their first name, etc.

Did you go to Commie High?

Did you go to Commie High?

Lol no. It was a private school. I went to public school for a few years when I was young, then went to an old school, bastion of elitism private school for like 7 years, then transferred to the hippie school after my freshman year. I do remember that at the conservative private school, some people did wear letterman jackets, but I didn't get one there either because I hated being associated with the place and knew I'd be leaving.

We got the letters and had to patch them on ourselves to a 200$ jacket... >:/ it makes me mad just thinking about it

Still I wish I got one

At our school in order to earn a Letterman jacket for football you had to be on the Varsity team and play at least half of the games, you didn't have to start.

The jackets cost 150 bucks though so you earn it but you still had to pay for it.

My cousin got his Letterman for Football/Wrestling and told me the school gave it to him free of charge but you could only get one jacket your entire school you so he waited to get one, his has Football and wrestling on the back, and he has patches from the wrestling tournaments he won or placed on his sleeve and two for his football recognition on the other sleeve.

What were some of the criteria for your Letterman jackets and did you have to pay for them or did the school give them to you free? Every school is different.
I paid for my jacket but the bjs that followed were free.
<JonesDXSuckIt>

I went to a super progressive high school where you picked your own classes like it was college and there were no rules, no detentions (you had a 'conversation' if you were in trouble, which was almost worse), tons of freedom and free time, called teachers by their first name, etc. No one would have worn them, but I don't even know if they had letterman jackets. Got to keep my warm ups for basketball (still wear the snap away pants around the house sometimes in the summer because they're comfortable and breath a lot) and our windbreaker for baseball (both had our names on them anyway). Can't remember if we paid for them or not. Probably did.

If you don't mind, tell us a bit more about the hippy school. Did it work - all this freedom? Which things you liked and which ones not? Etc

If you don't mind, tell us a bit more about the hippy school. Did it work - all this freedom? Which things you liked and which ones not? Etc
Well it's run on the philosophy that kids want to learn. Most of the kids there followed that theory. Slackers tended to weed themselves out by not passing. I loved it. High percentage of nerds, but whatever. Still had a fair amount of hot chicks (school was very small, my graduating class had like 55 or 60 kids). School resources were off the charts, including sick gym facilities. Even after baseball and basketball practice, I'd usually stick around if I didn't have singing rehearsal or anything else to do. Kids would be there at all hours working on whatever they felt like, or just hanging out playing cards or causing (mild) trouble, just because you had free reign of the building and most rooms even when zero faculty was around (like the art rooms, computer lab, music rooms, the theater, only rooms that really got locked were the science labs and even them you could get the key if you asked for it and had a reason). I'd go use the photography lab whenever I felt like. Also used to fuck my girlfriend in the dark room when no one was around. If you were bored in class, just walk out and go get some food, walk in the woods, take a drive, go to the gym, whatever.

Teachers were great, but if you fucked off, it was on you. There were people who got through it without a lot of discipline, but you had to be really smart to make it that way (the assignments and expectations were really difficult, you just got a lot of time since it was usually long papers and projects). It definitely allowed for more procrastination than other schools, but less busy work and you had to bust ass once you got started if you waited. Besides, the place cost a fortune. Very few kid's parents were spending that kind of money for the kid to just say fuck it (plus getting accepted was really difficult as well, and scholarship kids weren't fucking up that opportunity. You were guaranteed to get into at least a decent college if you graduated, half my class went Ivy league or the equivalent). Picking your own classes was fun too. You had some required classes, but mostly after sophomore year you decided what you studied. Between that and all the emphasis on writing papers I was WAY more prepared for college than most of my college friends. It was definitely unlike any school I had gone to, or heard of, previously.

Last edited:
Back