Movies Did you watch Everything Everywhere All at Once?

That's a fair assessment. I haven't the Whale yet, can't say for Hong Chau. Kerry Condon did a great job. I don't watch Marvel movies. Not a strong crop to pluck from.

Banshees of Inisherin deserved more love, especially

Yeah I had Kerry Condon in 2nd place. Wouldn't have had any criticisms really if she had won.

I thought Stephanie Hsu was the best supporting actress performance of the year. I thought Jamie Lee Curtis was pretty good but she simply didn't have enough to do for a nomination to be in order. But again...maybe the quality of the rest of the work over the course of the year almost mandates the nomination.

Same with Judd Hirsch in The Fabelmans. Very good actor but he basically had one scene. It wasn't a fantastic year for movies or for individual performances.

I don’t remember who beat Hirsch and Joe Pesci for supporting actor at the 1980 awards but damn must have been someone good because Hirsch in Ordinary People and Pesci in Raging Bull were excellent. I love Judd (big fan of Taxi) but I get your point entirely. I think Beatrice Straight won the best supporting actress Oscar for network and was in like five minutes of the movie. Like legitimately she has one scene when she calls Bill Holden out for cheating on her with Dunwway. And she’s great in the scene. But that’s it.

Meanwhile there’s “supporting” performances like when Mahershala won for Green Book or Alicia Vikander in The Danish Woman where they are clearly lead performances.

I don’t remember who beat Hirsch and Joe Pesci for supporting actor at the 1980 awards but damn must have been someone good because Hirsch in Ordinary People and Pesci in Raging Bull were excellent. I love Judd (big fan of Taxi) but I get your point entirely. I think Beatrice Straight won the best supporting actress Oscar for network and was in like five minutes of the movie. Like legitimately she has one scene when she calls Bill Holden out for cheating on her with Dunwway. And she’s great in the scene. But that’s it.

Meanwhile there’s “supporting” performances like when Mahershala won for Green Book or Alicia Vikander in The Danish Woman where they are clearly lead performances.

It was Timothy Hutton that beat Judd Hirsch for the same movie...

And supporting vs. lead is another area where the Oscars acts stupid. Al Pacino was declared a supporting actor in Godfather 1.

And supporting vs. lead is another area where the Oscars acts stupid. Al Pacino was declared a supporting actor in Godfather 1.

Damn- how did I forget that lol. Hutton was the youngest winner in that category at the time too I believe. He was terrific. No objection there. And his most powerful scenes might outright be the ones he shared with Hirsch.

Yeah for sure. But that’s where Hollywood politics comes into play too. Like Brando was clearly the more supporting performance than Pacino in that movie but you couldn’t position a massive star like Brando, also the titular character as supporting.

Godfather and Godfather II also had three supporting actor nominees apiece which is crazy to think about but also very deserved. Hell Cazale deserved one for two, would have been nuts if 4/5 choices were from one movie.

He was pretty good in taps. Cruise was better imo.

Started it a few weeks ago on Prime with the woman, and she didn't want to keep watching. I wasn't too into it, either, not sure I'll finish.

Damn- how did I forget that lol. Hutton was the youngest winner in that category at the time too I believe. He was terrific. No objection there. And his most powerful scenes might outright be the ones he shared with Hirsch.

Yeah for sure. But that’s where Hollywood politics comes into play too. Like Brando was clearly the more supporting performance than Pacino in that movie but you couldn’t position a massive star like Brando, also the titular character as supporting.

Godfather and Godfather II also had three supporting actor nominees apiece which is crazy to think about but also very deserved. Hell Cazale deserved one for two, would have been nuts if 4/5 choices were from one movie.

Rocky often gets overlooked in that regard as well. Four nominations (Sly, Talia Shire, Burgess Meredith and Burt Young) and then Carl Weathers creating an immortal character plus Joe Spinell in a role that was bigger than Judd Hirsch's in The Fabelmans.

As for The Godfather...great performances. Between the first two films, Abe Vigoda, GD Spradlin and a few others could have probably been recognized as well given the Judd Hirsch screen time standard.

It was basically a comic book movie, but wasn’t actually associated with any comic/super hero, therefore it won a bunch of oscars.

Yeah Tom Cruise stole the show. You could tell he was going places.

I liked how he got more militant and heel-is throughout the film. He was pretty much cast as a face after that for almost every film up until collateral and arguably magnolia. His two films after that were Legend and Risky I think.

There is probably some alpha multiverse where Cruise made a career out of playing the villain most of the time instead of the hero.

Edit: it was outsiders and losing it.

I liked how he got more militant and heel-is throughout the film. He was pretty much cast as a face after that for almost every film up until collateral and arguably magnolia. His two films after that were Legend and Risky I think.

There is probably some alpha multiverse where Cruise made a career out of playing the villain most of the time instead of the hero.

Edit: it was outsiders and losing it.

He was also pretty villainous in Interview with the Vampire...

He was also pretty villainous in Interview with the Vampire...

Yeah true but when I watch it I always find myself rooting for him for whatever reason. Kind of like the heel who gets so good at it that you start to cheer for him.

I’ve really never heard of until this thread. I’ll check out the trailer then.

I see imdb reviewers are writting movie is overrated.
What are your thoughts ?

Yeah I saw it years ago..

WillingAdorableAllosaurus-max-1mb.gif

I thought it was silly and all over the place, which I guess it was going for but a lot of it was cringe. Some good bits, but if we are setting the bar at best picture then yes overrated.

Top Gun Maverick should've won all the awards, even best documentary

I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. It's a fun movie, but I feel it ran too long. It's cool in a gimmicky way, but ultimately not as memorable as the other recent Asian movie that won best picture, Parasite

Last edited:
Honest question…..would you say it was propped up due to the recent increase on violence against Asian people? I did notice immediately after the show the Twitterverse was raging with Oscar So White tweets again.

I plan on seeing this movie and The Whale as well to see if they were award worthy or they were just throwing some bones out for past discretions.

I mean, it's certainly possible. In a strong year I don't think it is in the running for best picture, but I'm not sure this was an overly strong year. I do think the movie, while not for everyone as it is a bit on the weird side, has a lot going for it... So, even if there was some Hollywood virtue signaling going on, the movie is still good.

I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. It's a fun movie, but I feel it ran too long. It's cool in a gimmicky way, but ultimately not as memorable as the other recent Asian movie that won best picture, Parasite
EEAAO is as American a film as Top Gun lol.

It was as original as Get Out was. Meaning it wasn’t original at all but for some reason will be thought of and presented as such.

Back