Dillian Whyte free to return after positive drugs test?

don't quote me!

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

British heavyweight Dillian Whyte says he is clear to resume his career because an investigation has shown his positive drugs test was caused by a contaminated supplement.

The 35-year-old's rematch against Anthony Joshua in August was cancelled after he returned "an adverse finding" from a test.

Whyte said he unintentionally ingested a banned substance.

"It's been really tough because I knew I was innocent," he told Sky Sports., external

Sky Sports says it has seen documentation from a forensic expert concluding that a nutritional supplement taken by Whyte did not disclose all of its ingredients, which included a prohibited substance.

Whyte said "more than 45 things" were tested, including toothpaste, shampoo and deodorant, to try and find the source of the contamination.

He said: "I'm relieved more than anything, but of course I'm angry as well because it's cost me so much.

"The most important thing is it cost me the chance to beat AJ. Everything else after that is secondary.

"I'm a private person and I had to open up my whole life to the investigation. To clear your name - that is the most important thing and that's what we've done."

The Texas Department of Licencing and Regulation, which licenses Whyte, has been contacted for comment.

Whyte beat compatriot Joshua by decision as an amateur in 2009 to start what became a bitter rivalry.

Joshua beat Whyte by seventh-round knockout in their 2015 professional bout.

Olympic gold medallist Joshua went on to become a two-time world champion, while Whyte lost his only world title challenge, against Tyson Fury in 2022.

Whyte was given a two-year suspension in 2012 for taking an illegal supplement.

A tribunal accepted his claim he did not knowingly take methylhexaneamine (MHA) but said he did not do enough to check the supplement's ingredients.

Whyte had a doping violation charge dropped in 2019 after UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) said the levels of a banned steroid were "very low" and he was not at fault.

Back