• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dirty Donald goes Full Fascist and threatens UC Berkley's freedom of speech

A wonderful move if it happens.

Everyone "protesting" on those streets should have been arrested.

Protest is an exercise of the right of free speech. Why should protesters be arrested?

govt attempting to strong arm a public university for doing nothing wrong authoritarian.

the cops are the ones who shut the thing down, not berkeley.
The Federal government gives funding based on meeting certain criteria. It's not just free money to do as you wish. Calling it "strong arming" is not an argument.

There was a protest during which some people became violent.

Really, a whole university loses funding when a few people commit a crime during a protest? Wouldn't that be a neat trick.
The University is supposed to foster an environment of free speech. If they can't do it, the federal funds should go to universities that can.

It makes me angry to see part of my paycheck today going to an institution that has no problem with beating me with a shovel for my political beliefs. That's wrong.

What's worse, protesting or wilfully obstructing government?
Is that a serious question?

First, this was NOT a protest, this was a riot.

2nd, if the grievance is with the gov't, that's where the fight should be brought.

I'm Ojibwe. I look back at the American Indian Movement and see that they had grievances with the gov't, so they fought them. Examples: occupying Alcatraz, occupying Bureau of Indian Affairs in DC, occupying Wounded Knee.... One thing they didn't do, is attack free speech.

Protest is an exercise of the right of free speech. Why should protesters be arrested?

I don't think the speaker would have left if it were a simple protest.

Luckily we have video footage of property damage, people basically being beaten to death, etc. This is called political violence.

Again - everyone on those streets should have been brutally arrested in order to send a beautiful message. Protest all you want, but control your laughable anger and don't let it turn into a riot. What a wonderful state of affairs that would be.

Only funding those educational institutions that agree with your views is, in fact, fascism.
So it's facism to only fund institutions that support an environment of free speech?? lol

Horrible argument. You need to logically think things through.

Milo is not Trump's boy toy, Milo is actually pretty anti-Trump.

Trump is right about Berkeley being anti-speech. The way Berkeley acted was uncalled for. Nothing wrong with Trump here.

Also, those "protesters" not only denied Milo's first amendment right but attacked innocent Milo supporters. These rioters are criminals and should be jailed imo.
I think you're mistaking Milo with Shapiro. Milo is extremely pro Trump.

I don't think the speaker would have left if it were a simple protest.

Luckily we have video footage of property damage, people basically being beaten to death, etc. This is called political violence.

Again - everyone on those streets should have been brutally arrested in order to send a beautiful message. Protest all you want, but control your laughable anger and don't let it turn into a riot. What a wonderful state of affairs that would be.

Right, so SOME people were violent so you think EVERYONE should be "brutally arrested"?

Really, a whole university loses funding when a few people commit a crime during a protest? Wouldn't that be a neat trick.
Yeah only a few were participating in the car fires, assault, fire in the middle if campus, throwing rocks at police and Milo's hotel room window. Only a few.

You're being willfully ignorant. You're defending violence and censorship.

The University is supposed to foster an environment of free speech. If they can't do it, the federal funds should go to universities that can.

It makes me angry to see part of my paycheck today going to an institution that has no problem with beating me with a shovel for my political beliefs. That's wrong.

You don't like the way some of your tax money is being spent? Get in line, buddy. And moreover, get over it.

Only funding those educational institutions that agree with your views is, in fact, fascism.
Who, in this scenario, is proposing that?

If you mean Trump, I think you need to re-read his tweet.

So it's facism to only fund institutions that support an environment of free speech?? lol

Horrible argument. You need to logically think things through.

ALLOWING PROTEST IS FREE SPEECH.

Did you even watch what happened last night? Nobody is against clueless college students pointlessly protesting peacefully. They are against the bullying, intimidation and violence used to shut down someone's right to speak. Last night was not a protest, it was a bunch of Leftist thugs rioting and nothing was being done to stop it.

You're defending violence and censorship.

c856a793cb9254bd49e82c67610a07e311d69d99274a4d7c74602986beef6658.jpg

Right, so SOME people were violent so you think EVERYONE should be "brutally arrested"?

Absolutely. This is how a beautiful message is sent.

A perfect protest is one that is self policed by the participants. They should take responsibility and ensure that it does not get out of control.

A few brutal mass arrests would send a clear message to would-be violent agitators and their passive enablers - keep it under control or get brutally arrested.

What a wonderful state of affairs this would lead to.

Again, you're the only douchebag that is calling what happened yesterday "JUST A PROTEST". If it was "JUST A PROTEST", the event wouldn't have been cancelled. If it was "JUST A PROTEST", then several buildings wouldn't have been smashed, fires wouldn't have been started and people wouldn't have been attacked.

If you aren't going to accept the obvious facts then you are just a disgusting piece of shit that doesn't belong in this discussion.

I think you just accidentally made a case for calling UCB a fascist institution.

Currently UCB receives funding and has blatantly shown it's willing to use violence to shut down a speaker they don't agree with....so why do they deserve fed funding if they refuse to Acknowledge everyone's first amendment right?

Also some food for thought. Here is the definition of terrorism for you.

Terrorism: the use of unlawful violence especially against civilians for political aims.

Just let that sink in.

I just graduated from UC Berkeley, the culture there is emasculating. Ive had 5 classes where students had dogs for emotional support

This. If you refuse to allow someone to exercise their right to free speech, you cannot then complain when you get the same treatment in return.

Don't step on the field if you can't take the hits.:rolleyes:

Back