Disagreeing with traditional motivational quotes...

The "never give up" and "if you keep trying, your dreams will come true" kind of quotes are silly. Like when someone has a small business that's failing.

"I'm never going to give up! I know this will work out! I just know it!"

Fast forward 2 years and $200k of debt

"Yea, maybe I should have read the writing on the wall 2 years ago"

There is a difference between possible, and probable. If a person wishes to use their life, and try to be the exception or the outlier then that is their right to do so.

However, I agree in giving a reasonable amount of time, and energy to something.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over, and over again but expecting different results."

I would argue that a person's resolve, and energy could be better used elsewhere, if they aren't achieving in their original pursuit.

I would agree to "never ever ever ever give up". However, I would attribute that to life as a whole, more so than one objective. Whatever it is you decide to do, do a thorough job, and keep trying (in life) if that doesn't work out for you.

Yep, thanks for your input. I am trying to lead an inspired life. I can rely on my teammates to help keep me on track. I want to rely on my colleagues as well.
Collective suffering is a very powerful motivator. My teammates know what I’ve been through. I know they have my back. I wish everyone could have something similar.

How so?

Wayne Gretzky was spot on I feel. lol I love that quote actually. Haha
Because there has to be an action (shooting) in order for there to be a reaction (missing). It’s just a stupid quote that doesn’t make sense.

Because there has to be an action (shooting) in order for there to be a reaction (missing). It’s just a stupid quote that doesn’t make sense.

I think Gretzky was referring to the possibilities. Yeah you can't miss if you don't shoot, but you don't hit if you don't shoot either. I think he was alluding to you'll never have success by not trying. This is so funny, because I actually used that quote in a speech I gave in class. Hope the teacher doesn't analyze it too harshly lol

I think Gretzky was referring to the possibilities. Yeah you can't miss if you don't shoot, but you don't hit if you don't shoot either. I think he was alluding to you'll never have success by not trying. This is so funny, because I actually used that quote in a speech I gave in class. Hope the teacher doesn't analyze it too harshly lol
I agree with you on what he was trying to say, he just framed it illogically. He should have said something like “you’ll never score a point if you don’t ever take a shot.”

Like anything else, they're practical sometimes but you can't be too much of a purist.

On a side note, I saw Gretzky score a goal from the drop of the puck against the St Louis blues.

Maybe not a motivational quote but holy fuck, I hate it when people say, "everything happens for a reason."

There's a cause and effect in everything that happens in the world, but that's not what people mean. There isn't some grand design or plan or purpose or meaning to all the bad shit that happens to you in life. Sometimes, you just have to deal with it and move on. I don't understand the need to lie to yourself and pretend it's some hurdle that was set up specifically for you to overcome.

Jiu Jitsu is a great example.
Not really. In jiujitsu, the overarching goal is to improve yourself as a martial artist and make your jiujitsu game as good as possible. Not tapping in the moment and suffering an injury is simply idiotic.

Not really. In jiujitsu, the overarching goal is to improve yourself as a martial artist and make your jiujitsu game as good as possible. Not tapping in the moment and suffering an injury is simply idiotic.
It was meant metaphorically. Tapping is like dying. I don’t advocate dying during practice. I advocate realizing there are no other options other than to give up. (Tap)
Many people don’t tap at the appropriate time. Many people train to the point of destroying their body. Keeping the context is important.
Thank you for your reply.

The whole shit about being "the bigger man".

In most cases it's an excuse to avoid confrontation.

I see some of my colleagues in education retweeting this common quote, “never ever ever ever give up”.
The thing that is bothering me is that many of these people have never even tried to do something extraordinary. I’m not sure how long any of them have suffered in order to accomplish something special.
Also, I feel that some people hold on to things too long. They should give up once and a while. Jiu Jitsu is a great example. I give up (tap) on a regular basis. People stay in abusive relationships because they don’t want to “give up.”
I get it. Some people are just lazy and unmotivated. They give up at the first sign of trouble. Other people are like golden retrievers. They won’t stop chasing a ball even if their bloody paws are falling off.
Some people need to give up on false notions and twisted ideas. Give up on dreams that were never theirs to begin with.
I hope this isn’t coming off as too salty. I don’t ever (ever) give up on my students. They are worth the sacrifice. I just think we need to re-evaluate what is important.

W C Fields had a great twist on a similar motivational phrase.

The original phrase was;
'Tis a lesson you should heed:
Try, try, try again.
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try, try again.
WC Fields said;
W.C.-Fields-Quotes-2.jpg

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take... one of the dumbest quotes ever...

How can you miss a shot you don't take? You can only miss the ones you do take.

He should have said; "You don't hit any of the shots you don't take". Hockey players aren't known for their intelligence.

Fake it till you make it. Fuck I hated hearing that in alcoholics anonymous.

Until you make what? It's a 12 step for the rest of you life program. Fucking dumbass old men and their rhetoric.

The "never give up" and "if you keep trying, your dreams will come true" kind of quotes are silly. Like when someone has a small business that's failing.

"I'm never going to give up! I know this will work out! I just know it!"

Fast forward 2 years and $200k of debt

"Yea, maybe I should have read the writing on the wall 2 years ago"

Ya that only works if follow another well known expression, "Face reality as it is, and not how you would like to see it".

Back