Distal biceps repair surgery. How to keep upper body strength.

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Hey guys. So i had surgery last week. On my left biceps/elbow. Now my arm is locked in 90 degrees angle.

I am looking at 3-6 month of no hard strength training. At least 2 month with no use of my left arm.

How do i keep my muscles and strength in my upper body?

Or am i looking at just doing cardio, legs and core for this periode?

Thanks for any advice.

how did it tear?

Was out of commission without left arm for a bit, ended up doing KB swings just to move weight.

You can also work the other arm if you want

how did it tear?

Was out of commission without left arm for a bit, ended up doing KB swings just to move weight.

The elbow and biceps had felt "tight" for weeks after high volume training of pull ups.

But it was in sparring it snapped. I over extended my arm on a power jab that missed its target

You're going to lose strength. That's inevitable, I'm afraid. All you can do is mitigate the loss.

Upper Body: Single Arm Dumbbell Bench, One Arm Pulldowns, One Arm DB Rows, DB Curls with your good arm.

Lower body: Safety Bar Squats might be possible if you can keep balance by holding a single handle on the yoke. One Arm Kettlebell Deadlifts. Pistol Squats to bench/box.

Don't try to rush the healing process, no matter how tempting it is. That will only cause more injuries and longer away from training. Follow your doctor and/or physiotherapist's advice to the letter.

Good luck.

You're going to lose strength. That's inevitable, I'm afraid. All you can do is mitigate the loss.

Upper Body: Single Arm Dumbbell Bench, One Arm Pulldowns, One Arm DB Rows, DB Curls with your good arm.

Lower body: Safety Bar Squats might be possible if you can keep balance by holding a single handle on the yoke. One Arm Kettlebell Deadlifts. Pistol Squats to bench/box.

Don't try to rush the healing process, no matter how tempting it is. That will only cause more injuries and longer away from training. Follow your doctor and/or physiotherapist's advice to the letter.

Good luck.

Solid advice. Thanks alot

Get BPC157 and TB500 (and maybe GHK-CU) peptides and start doing subcutaneous shots into the elbow area or as close as possible. Depending how much you weight you'll need between 500-1000mcg once or twice per day. BPC and TB will speed up your healing by double. I used 1mg(1000mg of BPC and TB each daily). I also had a family member try both as well after a fracture and the healing was half the time of projected healing.

In the meantime try to do whatever limited training you can. Maybe train lower body with something like a leg press or use other machines to train your body.

Train your non injured arm, it will help reduce muscle loss in your injured arm.

Hey guys. So i had surgery last week. On my left biceps/elbow. Now my arm is locked in 90 degrees angle.

I am looking at 3-6 month of no hard strength training. At least 2 month with no use of my left arm.

How do i keep my muscles and strength in my upper body?

Or am i looking at just doing cardio, legs and core for this periode?

Thanks for any advice.
Not saying to do this, but I know a guy who was back on the JJ mats within 2 weeks of something like this. He pumped himself full of BPC 157. He also happens to be a big guy and just picked his rolls very well. I haven't seen him at training for a bit, so it's likely he caused some issues. He said it was better than his previous PEDs recovery wise.

I would just go absolutely nuts lower body and conditioning wise. That's usually my approach. I did the same after a knee surgery and just did a crap load of pullup work. Never have I been out for two whole months fully though.

There is definitely some good data around maintaining muscle and strength by training the opposite in the literature whilst injured.

The elbow and biceps had felt "tight" for weeks after high volume training of pull ups.

But it was in sparring it snapped. I over extended my arm on a power jab that missed its target
Literal snap, did you hear it on repeat in your head for days after?
The bicep/ forearm combo sounds like it wouldn't completely derail your training, but you don't realize how much you use them until you can't . Majority of pushing / pulling / holding on involves that grip.

Literal snap, did you hear it on repeat in your head for days after?
The bicep/ forearm combo sounds like it wouldn't completely derail your training, but you don't realize how much you use them until you can't . Majority of pushing / pulling / holding on involves that grip.

It was this loud crunchy sound like straight out of a old Steven Seagal movie when the injury happened

It was this loud crunchy sound like straight out of a old Steven Seagal movie when the injury happened

ha. Core memory attained.

Was doing some archer style push up leaning to side and it sounded like someone took a handful of dry spaghetti and slowly twisted it. Arm gave out. Longest 1 second of WTF noise.

Truth is you’re going to lose it in terms of strength. If you have good genetics or diet properly you might not lose much in terms of the mirror.

If you’re doing curls it doesn’t matter.

I would work on my mobility and lower body (pistol squats, lunges and anything that helps with mobility and just do some cardio.)

The good and bad news is this.

If you’re not that strong (novice or intermediate) as they categorize it, it will come back faster and easier so don’t worry that much. If you have advanced or elite strength it’s going to take time and be a bit rough physically and mentally getting back. I bleed so much strength in much shorter periods when my strength is high. Even if I’m doing loads of pull-ups and pushups my absolute strength suffers even if my relative strength goes up.

Nothing you can do right now is going to make your body and nervous system say “I need to maintain and advance this to fight gravity” it’s going to say “you don’t need us anymore see ya later for now” and no damn curls or single arm workouts are going to change that.

Keep your mobility and cardio up while you let yourself heal and consume plenty of protein (and eat healthy).

Edit when you’re able to do some stuff (just not a higher RPE) just use light stuff to work on technique and mobility.

Last edited:
Pretty well covered already, I'll add though.

I'm curious what exactly was the nature of the injury how much tendon vs muscle vs bone was involved and what did they do in the surgery? Regardless of that my thoughts below all apply, it's assumed you will get some specific rehab guidance once the cast comes off.

For at least another week focus on keeping it super stable, there are reasons they put you in a cast, which I'm sure you understand. Somewhat like compounded interest your early contributions have the biggest effect on those reasons. The sacrifice of relative inactivity early on will pay off in the long run more than getting a bit soft right now will hurt you. Think of the initial healing as the base for all the forces going through there for years to come.

And don't try to outsmart the healing by figuring out some way to do back chest or shoulder exercises with the cast on for now, your bicep lengthens and shortens through those ranges whether you want it to or not, passive motion still generates small forces.

That philosophy goes for all recovery components, sleep, hydration, nutrition, PED's etc. Get all that shit perfect right now, no couple of beers with the boys or staying up all night watching movies. You don't strike me as that kind of guy but boredom can lead to poor choices.

One thing to do that may seem like an exception to the stability thing is to wiggle your finger's a lot, Keep your arm stable but open and close your hands, do dexterity movements with your fingers but no load (for some weeks). There are tons of finger patterns that a physio would put you thru, make up your own or look them up. No load means no squeezing a ball or opening hands against rubber bands etc. (yet) The purpose of this is to keep the nerve pathways firing through your arm.

Unfortunately you won't be firing much for the biceps or triceps for a while but at least its something.

After that you can add something that will work the pathways to your bi's but it's very hard to do if you can't already do it, there is an element of risk if you screw up. Extremely hard to do with the triceps in that position.
It's a VERY light flexing of the bicep, a mere flick washout moving your arm or putting any puling force into it. You know how guys flick there pecs while still keeping them loose? Same thing. Might not even be worth trying if you couldn't do it before, or maybe do it with the other arm to learn how to do it safely first. NO STRAIN!

Apologies for the wall of text but the early stages are so important, tiny little things matter and add up. I've been through this stuff many times both personally and with others.

All the best to you.

Two days until my first control at the hospital after my surgery. I keep grinding

Back