Crime Do Americans live in abject fear and terror of each other? Man guilty of murder for shooting dead woman in car that accidently came onto his driveway

This is one of many such stories. Americans are one of the most fear driven populations on the planet.
But there are so many people in this country that this scenario is statistically extremely unlikely. But I'm a guy that will travel to pretty much any country and not worry about crime etc. Unless its a war zone or natural disaster... its fine.

Two shots fired from a shotgun. Like WTF? Are people so terrified and in fear of each other that if someone accidently drives onto a driveway they just come out and open fire without checking who it is regardless?
Thankfully this scum will likely only be leaving jail in a box.

Did you actually read the article? Two SUV's full of strangers drive up your long driveway way out in the country, blockng your car in and sit there long enough for you to get your gun, go out the house and shoot at them?

It's easy after the fact to say 'oh we drove all the way up there by accident.' But who knows wtf the those people were up to.

It's not like some unbelievale thing to think 'ah fuck this is a home invasion.'

It's not like those never happen.

ALBANY, N.Y. — An Albany man said he was robbed at gun point after four people broke into his home, according to the Albany Police Department.

Albany police said they were called to the man's home, near Elberon Place and South Lake Avenue, around 10:05 p.m. on Wednesday, November 29.

This one just happened like three weeks ago.

Did you actually read the article? Two SUV's full of strangers drive up your long driveway way out in the country, blockng your car in and sit there long enough for you to get your gun, go out the house and shoot at them?

It's easy after the fact to say 'oh we drove all the way up there by accident.' But who knows wtf the those people were up to.

It's not like some unbelievale thing to think 'ah fuck this is a home invasion.'

As someone who lives in the country and has a decently long driveway, I'd definitely be arming myself in this scenario as well. Though, rather than going out blasting, I'd just ask them to leave my property via my security system.

Yes. Half the country is terrified that the govt is taking their guns away and herding them into FEMA camps to turn them into soylent green.
Fact - US gun laws have been liberalizing for decades and the govt has been making it more and more easier for people to own guns legally but somehow republicans still continue to spread the myth that guns laws are getting tougher and the govt is on the verge of banning guns. And at the same time pro gun types are spreading hysteria of having highest crime wave ever (when its also been dropping for decades) and guns are necessary to protect themselves.

Crime has increased since 2021-2 because of the poor economy but its not anywhere near the peak in the 70s-80s.
Not sure what point you were going for with that, but if it's easier and easier to legally own a gun and gun ownership is increasing, and crime is dropping, then it sounds like it's working. And that's before mentioning that gun crimes are still overwhelmingly committed with illegal guns, despite legal gun ownership increase.

This all makes sense right up until he shot at them, which just doesn't make any sense at all....

Obviously you can't just shoot people for being in your driveway even if you live in the country.

This all makes sense right up until he shot at them, which just doesn't make any sense at all....

Obviously you can't just shoot people for being in your driveway even if you live in the country.

Certain places you can if you have no trespassing signs up and they open your gate iirc.

As someone who lives in the country and has a decently long driveway, I'd definitely be arming myself in this scenario as well. Though, rather than going out blasting, I'd just ask them to leave my property via my security system.

Yeah. The law is the law and according to the law, he should have waited until it was too late.

Given the defence is claiming the gun went off by accident, I'd say manslaughter is more appropriate.

It wasn't some kind of home invasion, it was a group of young people and women accidently pulling into a drive, then politely leaving when they realized it was the wrong house.
Guy was a married man, by all accounts 'normal'. There is no excusing it and it would seem representative of wider paranoia, fear and total disregard for others and an overentitled, delusional self-importance. You don't have the right to open fire just because someone came on your drive. Guys whole defence was the bs that 'gun went off by itself' so they didn't even attempt to argue that he was afraid and thought it was a robber giving him notice by pulling into the driveway.

- Lax gun laws? Here beside guns being epensive to the avarege earner, the rules to getting one are a litte harder than USA. Even this way, you get some wakos.

Yeah. The law is the law and according to the law, he should have waited until it was too late.

Given the defence is claiming the gun went off by accident, I'd say manslaughter is more appropriate.
Just seems odd to me that he would fire at them. Where I live, it's very common for people to pull into my driveway and quickly reverse back out. Plus, I've had medical emergencies take place in my driveway and, just a few weeks ago, a teenager lost control and hit a telephone pole in front my neighbor's driveway. I was armed in both situations, but never felt threatened. Different locations, hard to judge I guess.

I also question why any responsible gun owner would possess a weapon that "fires even without a trigger pull".

It wasn't some kind of home invasion, it was a group of young people and women accidently pulling into a drive, then politely leaving when they realized it was the wrong house.
Guy was a married man, by all accounts 'normal'. There is no excusing it and it would seem representative of wider paranoia, fear and total disregard for others and an overentitled, delusional self-importance. You don't have the right to open fire just because someone came on your drive. Guys whole defence was the bs that 'gun went off by itself' so they didn't even attempt to argue that he was afraid and thought it was a robber giving him notice by pulling into the driveway.
Well no shit it was a group of young people. You think it's more worrisome if it was a group of senior citizens pulling up?

Not sure where you're getting that he didn't think it was a home invasion. He testified that he did, and intentionally fired a warning shot, and the 2nd shot was the accidental one when was moving closer. That is likely bullshit because he ended up being wrong and you can't just shoot because of suspicion.

As far whether thinking it was a home invasion was some totally out of left field paranoia or a realistic concern, it wasn't some house in a subdivision and some girl just turning around in the driveway. It was a nearly 70 year old man who lives in the sticks with a very long dirt driveway with probably close to 0 unexpected visitors, and certainly 0 groups of 2 SUVs and a motorcycle with a bunch of 20 year olds driving all the way up his driveway at night. Actual home invasions are orders of magnitude more common than cases of someone getting shot for driving to the wrong house. Obviously you can't shoot based on suspicion, which is why he was convicted, but he was right to be suspicious.

There are over 1.65 Million home invasions per year which accounts for about 66% of all 2.5 Million burglaries that happen every year according to the FBI.

Back