Do I really need to lift weights in order to be able to fight someone?

Why people emphasize on bench press, deadlifts and squats to beat someone?

It's the wrestling strength we need. Some people have big forearms and can beat you in mercy. No matter if you bench press more than them, they will still beat you in a fight.

Comments?
When I grapple people of similar skill to me I plow through them quickly. Tourneys suck at my age and weight for me. Everyone is fat. THere are effectively zero 40 year old 230 and up folks that aren’t blobs. Part of it is my area but a buddy of mine similar build submitted his entire bracket in like 30 seconds. I’d imagine we could probably enter the black belt bracket and be ok if they’re similarly in shape. Neither of us are black or even brown belt level honestly.

Strength is never a weakness.

To quote Jeff Monson
“Technique is king, but this (flexes bicep) stops a lot of technique.”

When I grapple people of similar skill to me I plow through them quickly. Tourneys suck at my age and weight for me. Everyone is fat. THere are effectively zero 40 year old 230 and up folks that aren’t blobs. Part of it is my area but a buddy of mine similar build submitted his entire bracket in like 30 seconds. I’d imagine we could probably enter the black belt bracket and be ok if they’re similarly in shape. Neither of us are black or even brown belt level honestly.

Grappling is fighting?

Grappling is fighting?
Yes. Do you not watch the ufc? That’s how Royce won all those fights before people started learning jiu jitsu and other forms. If you can grapple you can make 99% of people your bitch. The last 1% fight for a living probably.

For fighting purposes I would always choose faster over stronger.

You do realise weight classes in sports exist because (in the sports which have them) strength is such a factor and (increased size means increase strength) that they have to segregate according to size (weight)....

Sports where speed is the main factor don’t need weight classes.

Meanwhile linear progression can take a skinny 140 pounder into a ripped 155 pounder with bw press, 1.5 bw bench, 2 bw squat, 2.5 bw deadlift (all completely attainable within a few years for the average untrained 5’10 male). So yes, fighters should be lifting, as should anyone who truly values their physical health.

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

― Mark Rippetoe

I personnaly think that, as an amateur athlete ( full time job + children etc... ), Weight training doesn t worth it. It's better to keep your time for striking refinement, shadow boxing, heavy bag, light sparrings and calisthenics.
If you are a pro fighter, of course, being "stronger" is better, but only if you have got time for it. Also, weight lifting is really exhausting and you need to recover.

That s my point of view.

My bad. I forgot where I was.

Because it's powerlifters hobby to bench press squat deadlift

Here there are a lot of powerlifters

To answer yourquestion, you def need to be strong to fight. Training makes strong.

You def need to train fighting to fight well.

So what is your confusion ? Do you train ? What do you train ?

It's the wrestling strength we need. Some people have big forearms and can beat you in mercy. No matter if you bench press more than them, they will still beat you in a fight.

Comments?
Body weight can work everything but the glutes and lower back. But even then you could work those muscles by lifting a partner.
You could become very strong, and very wrestler specific with just a partner.
Ace and Gary style.

Comments?
No. I don't lift at all and im stronger than everyone i train with including pro fighters. I do calisthenics mostly. Hand stand pushups, muscle ups, pistol squats etc. If you mean not doing any type of strength training at all. Answer is yes you can fight but you will lose to people with similar skill levels or even people with slightly lower skill levels. Strength/cardio are the reason men and women don't fight.

No. I don't lift at all and im stronger than everyone i train with including pro fighters. I do calisthenics mostly. Hand stand pushups, muscle ups, pistol squats etc. If you mean not doing any type of strength training at all. Answer is yes you can fight but you will lose to people with similar skill levels or even people with slightly lower skill levels. Strength/cardio are the reason men and women don't fight.

Bench press, deadlift, and squats strength means shit for MMA. That is for a powerlifting sport. It's the wrestling strength that one needs. Not a fan of bench press and deadlift for MMA. Cardio yes, it helps big time. We have seen fighters gassing out.

Bench press, deadlift, and squats strength means shit for MMA. That is for a powerlifting sport. It's the wrestling strength that one needs. Not a fan of bench press and deadlift for MMA. Cardio yes, it helps big time. We have seen fighters gassing out.
My old man was a wrestler. In the sport school his team was training twice per with the oly lifting team Bulgarian style. Problems?

I don't mean shit. It's really good tbh. You need strength training as a fighter, whether it's weights or bodyweight is up to you.

Wrestling strength? Every Olympic wrestler lifts weights like crazy, check snyder, jordan, sadulayev... Don't be dumb. If you don't do strength training of some sort you will be the weakest guy in the room.

best way to fight is to train fighting. say you're into bjj then do that 5 times a week, and you'll be a beast. but if you have a day off then add some weights (or judo or wrestling) on top. it can only help.

this whole do you need to strength train thing depends on the situation and a athlete you are dealing with

for example

you got a wrestler who starts at 6 years old and at 20 will have 18 years of training technique

at that point its good to add strength training because his technical level is so high so strength at this point wont hurt.

on the other hand lets say you got a mma guy who starts as a twenty year old no background

as a twenty year old with no base, hes technically far behind other guys who started in teens or as kids.

so for him the best option is just to train technique because he has to catch that gap in technique with competition (all though starting mma at 20 is late anyway for serious career)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back