DO NOT let Cain near that belt again, unless...

Koloth

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
unless he fights and wins two more times until June of 2016, thereby proving that he is able to fight three times a year without getting hurt and pulling out.

There is absolutely no point in an immediate rematch, since 1.) Cain-Werdum wasnt very competitive. After the first close round Werdum beat him masterfully. 2.) there's a lot of exciting matchups that can happen now that Cain is no longer champ but one of the many title contenders at HW, and 3.) if you let him get his belt back he'll just sit out for another year again.

I dont care who he fights, as long as it's not JDS, not Bigfoot and not for the title in his next two fights.

Here's my ideal scenario (the timeline is what's important here, the specific matchups are secondary):

Fabricio Werdum vs. Andrei Arlovski in september 2015
Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne in october 2015
Junior dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem in october 2015
Ben Rothwell vs. Stipe Miocic in november 2015
Winner of Werdum/Arlovski vs. Winner of dos Santos/Overeem in february 2016
Winner of Velasquez/Browne vs. winner of Rothwell/Miocic in march 2016
Winner of Werdum/Arlovski/JDS/Overeem vs. Winner of Velasquez/Browne/Rothwell/Miocic in july 2016

Knowing the UFC, we'll hear soon about how they're leaning towards an immediate rematch.

amen to that ts

cain is great but he killed the hw division by putting it on hold

Cain should fight Stipe, Travis would be an easy fight imo.

unless he fights and wins two more times until June of 2016, thereby proving that he is able to fight three times a year without getting hurt and pulling out.

There is absolutely no point in an immediate rematch, since 1.) Cain-Werdum wasnt very competitive. After the first close round Werdum beat him masterfully. 2.) there's a lot of exciting matchups that can happen now that Cain is no longer champ but one of the many title contenders at HW, and 3.) if you let him get his belt back he'll just sit out for another year again.

I dont care who he fights, as long as it's not JDS, not Bigfoot and not for the title in his next two fights.

Here's my ideal scenario (the timeline is what's important here, the specific matchups are secondary):

Fabricio Werdum vs. Andrei Arlovski in september 2015
Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne in october 2015
Junior dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem in october 2015
Ben Rothwell vs. Stipe Miocic in november 2015
Winner of Werdum/Arlovski vs. Winner of dos Santos/Overeem in february 2016
Winner of Velasquez/Browne vs. winner of Rothwell/Miocic in march 2016
Winner of Werdum/Arlovski/JDS/Overeem vs. Winner of Velasquez/Browne/Rothwell/Miocic in july 2016

You have Alistair Overeem, he of the 3-3 record in his last 6 fights, one win away from a title shot? How the fuck does that make sense?

I agree with those match ups. HW looks exciting for a couple of years at least

Knowing the UFC, we'll hear soon about how they're leaning towards an immediate rematch.

Don't they usually only give immediate rematches if the champion loses in a controversial decision or extremely close fight? What about last night's fight would warrant an immediate rematch?

Why would they give the shot to Arlovski over JDS? I can't think of one rationalization where that makes sense. Not competition beat, not how much the fight will sell, not how competitive the fight would be...

Why would they give the shot to Arlovski over JDS? I can't think of one rationalization where that makes sense. Not competition beat, not how much the fight will sell, not how competitive the fight would be...

Because Arlovski is on a win streak and JDS is not.

You certainly have a point, but the ufc is showbiz first and foremost

Don't they usually only give immediate rematches if the champion loses in a controversial decision or extremely close fight? What about last night's fight would warrant an immediate rematch?

Anderson Silva got an immediate rematch. No one was able to dispute that he got KTFO.

As the Bob Gray dude just said, JDS lost against Velasquez (and it wasnt close), won a close fight against Stipe and is now 1-1 in his last two, 2-2 in his last four. Arlovski has five wins in a row including two first round knockouts of Bigfoot (not that impressive) and Browne (pretty impressive). So he should absolutely get that title shot, especially if you factor in that he's not getting any younger and the fight against Werdum would be a very interesting 50-50 affair.

You have Alistair Overeem, he of the 3-3 record in his last 6 fights, one win away from a title shot? How the fuck does that make sense?

You're right. But:

1.) People wanted to see JDS vs. Overeem for a long time since it promises to be really exciting looking at their styles.

2.) If Overeem could somehow win, he would be on a three fight win streak (over Junior dos Santos!!). Thats plenty good for a title shot.

3.) If you look at his fights you'll see that the record really doesnt tell the whole story:

UFC 141: He beats Brock (Not that impressive given that Alistair was roiding like crazy, Lesnar had medical problems and didnt react well to getting hit. Still, the way he did it was impressively dominant). => This win isnt as great as it looks.

UFC 156: He lost to Bigfoot after technically outstriking him for two rounds only to get caught in the third. He was also coming off steroids while Bigfoot was still roiding like crazy. => This defeat isnt as bad as it looks.

UFN 26: He lost to Travis Browne after technically outstriking him and almost finishing him only to get caught by a kick he did not respect. => This defeat isnt as bad as it looks.

UFC 169: He won over Frank Mir. I dont remember much about that fight except that it was really boring. Mir was of course going through a really bad time in his career. => This win isnt as great as it looks.

UFN 50: He lost to Rothwell. Not 'ands', 'ifs' or 'buts' about it.

UFC on Fox 13: He won over Stefan Struve. No 'ands', 'ifs' or 'buts' about it. He steamrolled him.

UFC 185: He won over Roy Nelson. No 'ands', 'ifs' or 'buts' about it. He technically outstruck him.

You see that he's a very special case in that looking at his record really doesnt paint an accurate picture at all. I'm not even an Overroid fan, but its verly clear that the guy is extremely experienced and one of the (if not the) technically best kickboxer in the HW division atm. So fuck yeah, if he could somehow get through JDS (*haha as if*) he'd definitely deserve a TS.

Arlovski vs Werdum or JDS vs Werdum. Let Cain earn his title shot. So Cain VS Reem.

Arlovski vs Werdum or JDS vs Werdum. Let Cain earn his title shot. So Cain VS Reem.

Hmm I didnt even think of that! Cain vs. Reem would be really fun! It's a sorry thing having to face Cain in his next fight, but the Reem did call him out after his win over Nelson, so let's see how he does :icon_twis

Rubbish..

I wouldn't be against an immediate rematch but I doubt it will happen. One win for Cain then back for Title. He deserves another shot ASAP.

Brown doesn't deserve a shot at Cain.

How does he deserve another shot asap? By fighting four times in 2.5 years (that's once every 1.6 years in case you cant do the math)? By looking like shit after one round vs. Werdum? Fuck no he doesnt deserve another shot ASAP. Let him earn his way back. Asking for two wins is entirely reasonable, its only in very shallow divisions that one win does it. HW at the moment is not that.

Browne was a top3 HW until he lost. Cain was the champ until he lost. There is no other heavyweight that high up in the rankings coming of a loss. They both deserve nothing - cause they both just lost. Let them earn their way back. (Honestly, this is pretty much a 'gimme' fight for Velasquez, so I dont even see why you would oppose it since you're obviously all over dat 'brown pride' dick).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
africancelary
Back