Do parents have a favorite child?

My brother the middle child was very lovable, my sister and I were more difficult. I expect that is part of it.

As a parent now I would say I don't love my daughter and son the same, as in there are different things I love about them. They're different so my love is different. It's not really that one is a favourite.

I know one thing for sure is that mothers love their sons more than their daughters whereas the dads love their daughters more than their sons.

I don't know why though.

Because mothers are the ideal woman to sons and fathers the ideal man to daughters, also all the other messy almost Freudian evolutionary biology stuff.

I was told that I'm a big disappointment. <mma1>
I wish that's worst I heard.
My mom actually told me when I was 14 that I was a mistake and wished she never had me....
Now she tells me what a good man I am, but I'll never forget what she said 28 years ago....

Each of my sisters are my parent's favourite. I'm not too fussed about it, as I was a little shit as a kid, and they both fought over custody, but probably associated all that hatred with me.

My son, who is the eldest, is my favourite child. It is because the day he was born I held him and I felt like my life had meaning for the first time in my life. I love my daughter to pieces, and probably spend more time with her because she is a daddy's girl. But, I had already gone through the life altering cathartic experience years before she was even conceived. Of course, I'll never let either of them know this.

Life has meaning for the first time when you are suddenly no longer the centre of the universe. Responsibility is the meaning of life, or at least where greatest satisfaction/happiness lies.

Life has meaning for the first time when you are suddenly no longer the centre of the universe. Responsibility is the meaning of life, or at least where greatest satisfaction/happiness lies.

Aye

A friend of mine argued that every parent does, but he doesn't have any children so his opinion only goes so far.

I have 2 kids, I don't think I have a favorite... at least not consciously. If I did, I wouldn't treat them any differently.

I've seen many parents admit to their favorite. My F.I.L. always says my wife is his fav.

I wish that's worst I heard.
My mom actually told me when I was 14 that I was a mistake and wished she never had me....
Now she tells me what a good man I am, but I'll never forget what she said 28 years ago....
What the fuck?

When a person has choices, whether it be children, pets, cars, shoes, television shows, colors, etc, there will always be favorites, consciously or subconsciously. Those feelings can change as people age.

With children, it can be the first born because they were there first or the youngest because they are the baby. Middle children don't have either of those advantages going for them but they might attain the favored status by their own good actions or the bad actions of their siblings. It is human nature to think that they weren't the favorite child.

I think this is normal as a father of two daughters, I tend to like the younger one better, doesnt mean I dont love the eldest, i just like the way the youngest warms up to me.

I have 3 boys. I don’t have a favorite. I love them each for who they are despite their individual strengths and weaknesses.

if parents have favorites they are probably a bit superficial and it is for bad reasons. ... no offense poster above me

I have 4 older brothers, yes each of my parent has a favorite

This is the exact same scenario I find myself in except they have become more emboldened at defending their failed project. Imagine a sibling that has been a shit disturber since day one and that has made everyone's life miserable yet somehow YOU, the one who didn't do anything are the enemy.

I imagine you must be one hell of an asshole.

Im the first born son on my moms side even though shes the youngest of three. Yes there is favouritism involved, though I think the love is the same. Im much different than my full blood brother who I grew up with, and were far different again than our half brother and adopted sister raised by my dad who divorced my mom when I was four, just after brother was born.

I never felt the need to fit in anywhere whereas as my bro noticably does, thats always been an interesting aspect to me. The whole sibling birth order personality determinations are pseudo science as far as Im concerned though.

This is the exact same scenario I find myself in except they have become more emboldened at defending their failed project. Imagine a sibling that has been a shit disturber since day one and that has made everyone's life miserable yet somehow YOU, the one who didn't do anything are the enemy.

I'm in the same boat...but i'm waay older than i'm guessing most sherdoggers with many kids, bills, and my own problems...so where it really use to bother the ever living shit out of me the favoritism and the bull shit...now it just bothers me less lol

Youngest of 10 kids here. No doubt I was and am still the favorite. All of my siblings will say the same

Not even a contest as far as even being the favorite son. I'm the only successful, non alcoholic one

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back