Social Do people have an obligation to help others?

Do people have an obligation to help others?

• Total voters
I don't know if it's an obligation per se, but I feel you would need to help people out in your life to fulfill your personal well being.

I believe it's the right thing to do.

That's just my take on it.

brotherskeeper_hero_940x529.jpg
Ayn Rand would strongly disagree with you. A lot of people swear by her ideas

She was also full of shit. So are all the people who swear by her ideas.

I regularly help lost people with the wrong direction........
I had a job in college working "public saftey" where most of the time I would just take the walkie talkie to my house and smoke weed and play videos games but occasionally i would get assigned to a post.

No matter where people asked to go, I sent them to the rec center, which was way off in a corner of the campus.

I was 18. I now see it was extremely immature, but for probably <$6/hr I think it was about fair. If they paid me $10 an hour, maybe then I would have put an effort but also... maybe not.

No obligation but obviously it's a positive thing to do.

"It Depends"

Should be an option.

Yes:
Previous example of old lady falls down, child in danger, "Law of the Sea" (assist any in distress as you are able, even if it's only maintained position near them to vector in SAR assests), victims of accidents if safe for the rescuer.

Optional:
Violent crime against a capable adult (excluding handicapped, infirm, elderly), crimes against property, beggers. Anything from "Yes" aside from "child in danger" if risk of life or limb is great to a civillian...

Kind of a silly question. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, most of the time it depends on who you're helping and what you're helping them with, and very often people try to "help" when they aren't capable and end up doing more harm than good. I'm not going to "help" someone rob a bank or buy a bunch of crystal meth, but if someone needs help with something normal and I'm able to actually help them, I will.

The first two responses are "it depends", which shows it should be a poll option, and why I abstain from the poll.

once at 47-50 I got off the train & going up the stairs I found a $20 bill. I raised it & asked "someone lose a 20? anyone?" no one could be bothered to even acknowledge what I had to say & yelled at me to keep it moving. as I turned around for one last look within my peripheral holding the 20 in my hand I saw a homeless dude. I then handed it to him & went about my day.

No

It's a choice, not an obligation. Completely up to the individual

I had a job in college working "public saftey" where most of the time I would just take the walkie talkie to my house and smoke weed and play videos games but occasionally i would get assigned to a post.

No matter where people asked to go, I sent them to the rec center, which was way off in a corner of the campus.

I was 18. I now see it was extremely immature, but for probably <$6/hr I think it was about fair. If they paid me $10 an hour, maybe then I would have put an effort but also... maybe not.

Nooo I send people in the wrong direction for free, agreed very immature of you!!! Hope you learned that lesson.....

I watched cartoons as a kid, so I learned good character. That said, I've helped a few too many people who turned out to really not deserve help due to them having shit character. This type of person would never lift a finger to help you in return. These days I'm more conscious about being selective when deciding to give help. There are people who no matter how much you help them, you absolutely cannot create any goodwill with them and they will throw you under the bus without hesitation.

Moral obligation, but not legal obligation.

Once in a while in the local news, they mention someone arrested for failure to render aid in hit and runs.

How would you guys help when you see some woman standing at the bus stop waiting and suddenly you see uncontrolled pee coming from her? She pee'd herself and made a pee puddle. There's no convenience store around to buy emergency undies and shorts.

How would you guys help when you see some woman standing at the bus stop waiting and suddenly you see uncontrolled pee coming from her? She pee'd herself and made a pee puddle. There's no convenience store around to buy emergency undies and shorts.
{<tongue}

I don't know if it's an obligation per se, but I feel you would need to help people out in your life to fulfill your personal well being.

I believe it's the right thing to do.

That's just my take on it.

brotherskeeper_hero_940x529.jpg
only if you want to participate in the fullness of gods power which end in love for all of creation and all beings.

but love of God is first.

If you don't help someone you could you're really not helping yourself.

I can only speak for me. Yes, I do have an obligation to others. I've been the recipient of charity, kindness, and grace when I needed it. I repay that by extending those things to others in need when I can.

Dang man.....

You think like mass shooters do I guess... don't punish the people that f***** you over just punish innocent people.

Dang man.....
Mass shooters are trash.
Their numbers suck.

If I ever did a mass shooting I'd get triple digits easy.

This world is lucky I'm a nice guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmaltheknight
Back