Do we really NEED open finger gloves in MMA?

Legend of the Ace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the UFC their constantly having problems with fighter's getting poked in the eye or cut from the glove.

While I understand that the pading on the little baby 4oz. gloves protect the hand from being boken. It also soften the power of the punch striker have 2 make this compromise. I've heard b4 that they need the open finger gloves 4 better grappling ability.

Could they use closed finger gloves and let it affect the grappling ability the way the strikers make the compromise mettioned earlier? Are open finger gloves really that essential? There has 2 be something we can do 2 at least reduce eyepokes & cuts from the glove.

Your opinions plz. I would love 2 hear from an actual mma fighter.

i personally think a shoot style glove that covers the fingers should be used....mobility of the fingers aren't vital....

There are rarely cuts caused by gloves these days. They have piping all around the glove and there are no rough edges like before. Most cuts are caused by elbows or headbutts.

The 4oz glove softens the punch compared to what? Bare knuckle?

A closed fingered glove would affect grapplers way more then the 4oz glove would affect strikers. I'm pretty sure a great deal of people would agree with this.

mma gloves are no disadvantage for strikers, who are used to boxing gloves.
only the guard has to be changed/becomes not so relevant, but all offensive weapons become more effective with smaller gloves.
that doesn't mean i'm too much against closed finger gloves for competition.
i think a change of the rules in form of penalization of open handed strikes should be the first move to prevent eye poking.

A closed finger Glove that still gave you Finger Mobility would be interesting to experiment with but ANY Glove really screws up Grappling.

Even just the cuff of the Glove gets in the way.

i dont think theres anything wrong with them..im not to familiar with closed finger gloves that still give you finger room for properly lock up submissions and stuff...but who knows i could be wrong

Could they use closed finger gloves and let it affect the grappling ability the way the strikers make the compromise mettioned earlier?

Strikers make no compromise - they WANT the 4oz gloves. Did you watch the early competitions?
1) Quite a few of these guys started wearing the gloves before the were mandatory
2) They want to wear them for their own protection. If you'd ever worn one you'd see why - they don't lessen the force of the blow, but they help hold your hand together so that you'll be able to finish the fight instead of being beaten or submitted when you break your hand on that forehead in round 1.

Last edited:
i personally think a shoot style glove that covers the fingers should be used....mobility of the fingers aren't vital....

Yup, for a grappling glove you need mobile wrists and good grip on your hand.

It's all you really need.

Strikers make no compromise - they WANT the 4oz gloves. Did you watch the early competitions?
1) Quite a few of these guys started wearing the gloves before the were mandatory
2) They want to wear them for their own protection. If you'd ever worn one you'd see why - they don't lessen the force of the blow, but they help hold your hand together so that you'll be able to finish the fight instead of being beaten or submitted when you break your hand on that forehead in round 1.

Yes I did watch the early ufcs.(I own every ufc, most prides, etc.) I understand the need for gloves to protect the hand from being broken. I'm not saying there should be no gloves. I do believe they lessen the power of a blow when compared 2 bare knuck. Not every bare knuck. guy in the early days broke their hands in the 1st rd. or fight of the tour.

I'm just really sick of rogan saying there's got 2 be a way make a glove that covers the fingers & doesn't effect the grappling after he sees a guy get poked in the eye.

Sometimes it's really bad & effects the outcome of the fight like rumble-burns 1 or franklin-hendo. both franklin & rumble had 2 have serious eye sug. after.

There are rarely cuts caused by gloves these days. They have piping all around the glove and there are no rough edges like before. Most cuts are caused by elbows or headbutts.

The 4oz glove softens the punch compared to what? Bare knuckle?

A closed fingered glove would affect grapplers way more then the 4oz glove would affect strikers. I'm pretty sure a great deal of people would agree with this.

Yes, I was taking about bare knuckles. That's the only way I've seen people fight without fingerless gloves. I am 4 gloves in mma I just feel there should be better ones 2 at least reduce eye pokes. I know that it's been a while since a fighter's been cut by the gloves.

Back