Do yelling when striking help developing a superior power ?

Versez

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In this video chronicle , this French martial art master is teacher how to develop the ‘ki’

lol no

sometimes it's an effective distraction, but kiai is mostly bullshit

controlling your breathing in striking and during combos? that is the real shit

I don't know if it makes me more powerful and stronger or not, but I definitely do it. I love to yell at all times in general. For some reason, I also think that it makes my cardiovascular endurance better.

I wouldn't say yelling in particularity but I've noticed I hit a lot harder if I train while i'm angry which i'm not often mad but when I am and I train the bag goes flying usually and I'm more focused and have much more power and even sometimes more accurate with my strikes. It's very interesting.

When developing power I used to yell when hitting the bag all the time. Eventually you learn to take it down a notch and breathe more efficiently when hitting though

Truthfully, sometimes I'm so gassed that I need to yell for a strike to come out with any semblance of form, technique, and explosiveness. Otherwise, it's not coming out.

The importance is to engage the core explosively when throwing the strike. It's not just combat sport, you will see the same in tennis, athletic throws, powerlifting
It doesn't have to turn into a yell, it can sound differently depending on the person.

It's not the yell that is the source of power, it's engaging the core explosively while throwing that brutally expells the air in the lungs, making the sound.
Focusing on yelling a sharp sound can help to learn how to engage the core explosively with teh right timing.

Yes but you don't want to get caught with your mouth open. Respect to botha for banging with Tyson

Some people vocalize when they are making a supreme effort but it’s not necessary. In fact, the ki often creates an unintentional telegraph.

In this video chronicle , this French martial art master is teacher how to develop the ‘ki’

You want your breathing as effortless as possible while also activating belly breathing which takes a little more effort but actives and protects your core while breathing in and out. Doing a kiai is counterproductive as you loose energy via breathing muscles that dont help in protecting or generating more force. Its a topic I have done some work with athletes.

In short the best breathing is to prolong your rythm via breathing deeper. That also reduces blood pressure, will reduce stress on any level and result in being effective for a longer time. Thats why no proffesional fighter will go around the ring Kiaing be that MT, boxing...etc. Its only done by TMA guys that only know light contact point fighting. Its just a habit they have incorporated from Kata and their tradition but is not based on actual fighting prowess

Back