Do you fast and why? What are the best benefits and would it affect a teenager?

tonystpierre

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Do you fast and why? What are the best benefits and would it effect a teenager?
I rarely do long fast's but i'm just curious if I should stop altogether since i'm so young. I usually only long fast once a month and it's for usually 30-40 hours when I do.

Last edited:
Fasting is something that you'll get a thousand different opinions on sir.

What are you trying to accomplish with the fast?
Why did you start?
When did you start?

Fasting is something that you'll get a thousand different opinions on sir.

What are you trying to accomplish with the fast?
Why did you start?
When did you start?
I started in september 2020 so I was 13 about to be 14. I Started because I liked to eat my meals in 1 big meal and it was nice to not be bloated all day because of salt and stuff.

I started in september 2020 so I was 13 about to be 14. I Started because I liked to eat my meals in 1 big meal and it was nice to not be bloated all day because of salt and stuff.

As long as you feel good and its not making you feel shitty, you should be cool sir.

I rarely do long fast's but i'm just curious if I should stop altogether since i'm so young. I usually only long fast once a month and it's for usually 30-40 hours when I do.

There are a lot opinions from experts about fasting. Some say it's a miracle cure for everything. Some say it's overrated.

Having done fasting on and off, here's my advice:

Pro's
-the number one benefit I found is it greatly improved my relationship with food. When you fast for 20 hours, the food you eat next is likely to be a very healthy and satisfying meal, as opposed to chips and ice cream.
-it keeps me sharp if I'm trying to get a lot done

Con's
-depending on your weight/calorie requirements, it's really really hard to build muscle or in general achieve high athletic performance if you consistently fast

Overall, if you're just doing it once a month - I think it's a fantastic idea, that's kind of what it was meant for (fasting intermittently). As you're young, definitely wouldn't recommend doing it daily (i.e. 16/8 or (20/4)

You don't need to start dieting at your age. Just avoid excess sugar. You are a teenager. Enjoy your life and workout. You really don't need to optimize everything. Find a good routine and stick to it.

I go through periods of fasting, but I’m 31. I think you should eat a lot of good clean food often and lift weights at your age. You have a window that is unique to teenagers to really grow and get strong, which will stick with you the rest of your life.

I tried intermittent fasting once but couldn't even make it through a single cycle. I felt like I was going to pass out.

I think some people can naturally manage it more than others but I've got a reasonably large build and I'm pretty active so it was never going to suit me.

Don't do IF until you're in your late 20's, probably 30's. The primary reason people do it is to either lose fat or jumpstart energy-- you probably need neither of those things. At your age you need lots of clean fuel.

I do a 36-hour fast once a week. It keeps the waist down. I wouldn't advise teenagers to fast. Their bodies are still growing and they need the nutrients.

I can't comment on a teenager. I intermittent fast. I play with 24-72 hour fast. I am learning more about fasting and the science.

I cane across some science that extended fasts are better than intermittent fasting. I do both and incorporate a combo of both.

I think IF is basically cal restrictions with some benefits of the fasting. New science I came across is suggesting that the full benefits of the fast is from 72 hours. Say, the IF is often not long enough for the full benefits.

Still exploring the Data and science.

I'm still exploring the best way forward.

I doubt you need any fancy diet tricks at your age, just eat reasonably in relation to however you train.

Although I think it's overhyped, I've had an easier time losing weight with IF, usually 14-16 hours. I'm sure I could've done it differently but I tend to like to eat heavy and it's easier for me to eat my way into a surplus if I don't give myself enough hours where I know I won't eat. That aspect also helps build discipline.

It's useful but I don't think there's any real magic to it, same as fasted cardio and low carb/keto/etc. I'd guess all these things work at least some of the way their proponents say but not as much as hyped. I am doing all 3 because I seem to get results from them but I think it's more due my ability to stick to this method comfortably.

IF has been shown to decrease testosterone in young active men

It's not so much it lowers testosterone. Not eating lowers testosterone but you could argue that of your food, water, and a number of things do..

I would recommend refeeds for anybody fasting. Replenish electrolytes. Test your testosterone panel before, during, and after.

Based on my research, I think it's a great tool but people need to do their research. Personally I found a great result from IF. In retrospect, I should havevdid a T panel before, after, and during ad I suggested. I do refeeds.

I am curious about if 6mini meals are better or IF earlier rather than later. Say cutting meals after 4pm vs later? I am curious if IF benefits is in the disciplined regime of lower cals coupled with actual fasting?

I am going to explore extended fasts and eating regularly but no meals after sunsets. If I was to suspect, likely fasting lowers T during but I would argue the benefits likely outweigh the temporary side effects. I am betting my test is higher after coming through to the other side.

I doubt you need any fancy diet tricks at your age, just eat reasonably in relation to however you train.

Although I think it's overhyped, I've had an easier time losing weight with IF, usually 14-16 hours. I'm sure I could've done it differently but I tend to like to eat heavy and it's easier for me to eat my way into a surplus if I don't give myself enough hours where I know I won't eat. That aspect also helps build discipline.

It's useful but I don't think there's any real magic to it, same as fasted cardio and low carb/keto/etc. I'd guess all these things work at least some of the way their proponents say but not as much as hyped. I am doing all 3 because I seem to get results from them but I think it's more due my ability to stick to this method comfortably.

Same. 16:8 ratio with mixed in fasts of 24 48hours. I mix in carb loading and deloading. No keto for me.i noticed weight loss #1 and abs popping. Not looked this good since my early 20s.feels good man.

I think the fasting and the restricted Window for meals combined with strict eating as well as lower cals has been fire.

I'm wishing I did a test panel before, during, and after. I've seen data that suggests 16 isn't long enough for autophagy. Not a doctor or scientist so, I have no clue if or if not?

Extended fasts have been great resets. I also noticed my stomach and appetite shrunk with extended fasts. 50 was my limit. 72 hours is my next target.

Back