Do you feel bad for fans who missed the dawn of MMA?

i remember back in HS, you could buy bootleg PRIDE FC events on VHS off of ebay. One winter break, I did just that, and caught up on all of PRIDE FC, rewatched all of the old UFC events, it was fucking awesome. I didn't leave my living room, I trained simultaneously, and channeled the MMA gods of then. I was one with the PRIDE FC ruleset. it was a good time.

Sound aboot right fam when mans first caught MMA sumtayum I be doin dat widdem TUF rerun shadowbox to dat intro walahi fam sumtym link up wid my yute Big Mac so my guy culd bear witness to da fitness ting mad lit fam shoulda been there 👊💥🐻🔥

Last edited:
Honestly... I feel bad for the guys who were watching shit MMA, being UFC or KOTC, when guys like Kobe, Crosby, ect. were in their primes.

Watching WMMA while playoffs are on hurts my soul.

It was a cool time for MMA for sure, but nothing to be sad about if you didn’t get to rent the newest event at Blockbuster or didn’t have a friend with a “black box” to watch it.

There's a lot of people to feel bad for so I think they're pretty low on the list

True, but I will always remember when I heard the first Led Zeppelin album. Probably the only time I was ever speechless.

I was speechless the first time I watched a video explaining all the riffs they stole lol

Yeah I feel bad fordem. But not as bad as for people whose family member were maimed and killed by Sharks. Sharks ruin familys !!

I was speechless the first time I watched a video explaining all the riffs they stole lol
Everyone did it then, but they were a bit more on the obvious side. Ironically, they never fought these lawsuits and gave out credits or cash. Some of the claims, however, are simple chord progression, which are hard to prove and really are not something one writes. Rick Beato does an excellent breakdown of Stairway to Heaven.

Mid-90s through about 2015 was fun.

Early UFC was largely inaccessible for me. I saw UFC 2,3 and 4 when a friend lent me VHS tapes in '95 but never saw much more until 2005 or so.

Luckily the Monday Night Wars filed the gap. I hadn't watched rasslin' since I was a kid but that was a fun time.

By the time that died off the UFC/Pride rivalry was going. It was a good run.
Same

Not really.

I get into the sport until I was about 17. I was 4 when the UFC first came to be.

Although I do wish I got to seem some Pride Events live when it was at its peak. The same year I started watching MMA Pride was sold to Zuffa.

Not at all. I'm glad kids today are growing up with the knowledge that TMA arent particularly effective and won't prevent them from getting their ass kicked. I'm glad they aren't growing up brainwashed from movies that try to convince them otherwise. I'm glad they aren't getting conned by grifters like Frank Dux.

It's good to watch early MMA, now just about anyone can re-watch fights if they were archived.

I'd say also check out the Superbrawls, K1, Extreme Fighting Championsihps with Conan & John Lewis, Pride fc & behind the scenes as well to see some fighters so afraid of Rickson, they basically lost the fight before round 1.

I feel sorry for people who think 'missing the birth of mma' is important.
<Waaah>

As far as sport and athletic events go and entertainment, it cant really be topped. Like missing the dawn of the Olympic games, Pankration was the ultimate Olympic sport. However, plenty of things in life are more important than sports yes.

I witnessed the dawn of MMA, so I dont really need to watch sports now.

I just do so sometimes for interest and entertainment.

Not at all. I'm glad kids today are growing up with the knowledge that TMA arent particularly effective and won't prevent them from getting their ass kicked. I'm glad they aren't growing up brainwashed from movies that try to convince them otherwise. I'm glad they aren't getting conned by grifters like Frank Dux.
We had Judo and wrestling for more than a century here. TMA teaches respect and discipline in a way that has been lost with a lot of the modern MMA culture, and it will still be useful against untrained people. So yes, the kids these days have access to much more training in what is effective but its not like there were not any effective options available before.

This is true, but what happens is was it important or not Moon landing probably, MMA not so much.

well, going to the moon in itself didn't change anything in our lives and since they could't go to the moon anymore it's like the tecnology that made it possible is lost (LOL), so to put in perspective it was just a show in the end.

That said, who missed the dawn of mma missed the best era of the sport and they lack in perspective (the poll about who's higher in all time great list between BJ and Max is telling) so i'd say that i feel bad for them BUT i feel more bad for me when i have to read their recency biased opinions or the rude, bashing, disrespectful, ignorant comments about the old guard.

Everyone did it then, but they were a bit more on the obvious side. Ironically, they never fought these lawsuits and gave out credits or cash. Some of the claims, however, are simple chord progression, which are hard to prove and really are not something one writes. Rick Beato does an excellent breakdown of Stairway to Heaven.

I'd say the "dodgy" Zep stuff was mostly on the debut pre riches/fame, Dazed and Confused is clearly based on Jake Holmes I'm Confused(which Page had covered live in the Yardbirds previously) and should I think have given him a co writting credit although the whole instrumental mid section(which is more of the song) is original so Page obviously deserves credit as well, Black Mountain Side is clearly based on Bert Janch's vetrsion of Black Watershide BUT thats perhaps an issue that arrangements cannot be copywritted, same with Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Joan Bez's version.

Things like Whole Lotta Love I think people mischaracterize what was happening, it was Plant quoting some Blues lyrics and melody in a track that was otherwise original, the iconic baseline/riff is not at all like WIllie Dixion's You Need Love. That kind of thing was happening a hell of a lot, indeed happened a hell of a lot in blues music before it.

The Spirit case I think is another one of a scumbag lawyer getting involved with the money grubbing descendants of the original artist hoping a pretty incompetant and pro copywrite US court system would help them. He's a bit of an asshole but the whole Robin Thickee/Marvin Gaye case was clearly nonsense as well, writing a song which is deliberately "similar" to a previous song should not mean your liable if they do nto actually share direct musical similarities.

You do have legit stealing of course like Coldplay nicking from Joe Satriani, if your kind you could claim that was subconcious but honestly I think they probably thought they could get away with it.

We had Judo and wrestling for more than a century here. TMA teaches respect and discipline in a way that has been lost with a lot of the modern MMA culture, and it will still be useful against untrained people. So yes, the kids these days have access to much more training in what is effective but its not like there were not any effective options available before.
Who gives a fuck about respect when a bully is whooping your ass because you went to a McDojo instead of learning how to fight? We all saw Karate Kid, the kid spent 90% of the time doing chores. He got conned.

A time when a fighter fought three opponents in a night, and didn’t need a team of coaches months to break down their next opponent and train specifically for that one guy.

My first event was UFC 66 Tito vs chuck 2. Feel like from around then until the end of Conor in his prime was the golden era of mma. It was amazing. So many stars in every division. Even lower ranked guys like Chris Leben and Diego Sanchez were still stars in some ways as they all had charisma. In some ways for me the golden era was in decline as soon as they brought in the Reebok deal. All of a sudden everything became generic. Fighters like chuck and tito had their iconic shorts and it was all part of creating character and making fighters stand out.

Now there's hardly any fighters with any personality and I sometimes find myself skipping some apex fights and only paying attention to the main event as there's so much filler and fighters are barely rememberable anymore. Sure they may be more skilled than the past, but there's less reason to be invested as a fan. Don't get me wrong, love watching fighters like Gaetje, holloway, poirier, perreira, dricus, o'malley and others, but they have nothing on the likes of prime anderson, gsp, conor, chuck. shogun, rampage etc.

Hopefully it will get better and be on an upward trend soon. As at the moment besides 298,299, 300, you have to wait months for decent cards.

I'd say the "dodgy" Zep stuff was mostly on the debut pre riches/fame, Dazed and Confused is clearly based on Jake Holmes I'm Confused(which Page had covered live in the Yardbirds previously) and should I think have given him a co writting credit although the whole instrumental mid section(which is more of the song) is original so Page obviously deserves credit as well, Black Mountain Side is clearly based on Bert Janch's vetrsion of Black Watershide BUT thats perhaps an issue that arrangements cannot be copywritted, same with Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Joan Bez's version.

Things like Whole Lotta Love I think people mischaracterize what was happening, it was Plant quoting some Blues lyrics and melody in a track that was otherwise original, the iconic baseline/riff is not at all like WIllie Dixion's You Need Love. That kind of thing was happening a hell of a lot, indeed happened a hell of a lot in blues music before it.

The Spirit case I think is another one of a scumbag lawyer getting involved with the money grubbing descendants of the original artist hoping a pretty incompetant and pro copywrite US court system would help them. He's a bit of an asshole but the whole Robin Thickee/Marvin Gaye case was clearly nonsense as well, writing a song which is deliberately "similar" to a previous song should not mean your liable if they do nto actually share direct musical similarities.

You do have legit stealing of course like Coldplay nicking from Joe Satriani, if your kind you could claim that was subconcious but honestly I think they probably thought they could get away with it.
Right, Fuck Cold Play. Whole Lotta Love is similar to the Dixon cover of the song by the Small Faces. But yes, it was mostly lyrics and people were doing that back in the 1920s with blues artists. Good conversation!

Back