Do you feel cheap for using Ezekiel ?

If the Ezekiel choke is cheap then so is every single other choke. Not using something because you think it is cheap will only limit you in your training and comps. Thats one less sub you have in your arsenal and thus one less thing to win with.

So odd this came up. Just yesterday we were at the gym talking about this choke since I got a purple belt with it that day(blue here.) He said he was very suprised and got caught with it since it was "a simple white belt choke that no one uses." I love it from side control, and think its a great tool in my bjj game.

Yah, there is a kind of lameness to it...if you are using it only cause you know you don't have a prayer of passing the guy's guard. Also, I never gravitated towards these things that might become crutches. Same way I never really liked the guillotine...from teh beginning I recognized its potential to be a dumb muscle guy move that anybody with lots of energy and strength could whore for all they're worth, and they do. I am starting to recognize some of the more technical applications for it.

It's a very versatile underused weapon in any Gi arsenal. Most people don't expect it, and when done correctly, you don't have to worry about being a jerk with it in practice.

In competition however, you smash those knuckles in there.

Ezekiel has been proven to be from the top of guard, aka Yoshida in an MMA match, bue not from bottom.

You catch it only when they do not know how to posture

holy shit... you should do it when you mount or sometimes from your guard even from the back... if you do it while being in someone elses guard thats just retarded for the most part.

anyways it is extremely legit and is my go to choke from the mount, nothing cheap about it.

and OP if your laying your forearm across first what your doing really isnt an Ezekial.

if you think its cheap because your getting caught with it and its highly uncomfortable then its because its a sick choke and you need to learn how to defend.

When I did a lot of gi training it was one of my favorite submissions especially against those muscle heads that like to power out of everything. I like it from both guard and mount. Mix it up and it can be a very effective submission in your tool box

I never tried it, not ONE time! I hate it! I think its just lame!

People always think I am cheap for wrist locking them but I know its not cheap, its just frsutration bc they don't think its legal (some think its a small joint lock) or bc it hurts like a bitch.....but I get shit for it all the time.

The Ezekial seems lame to me bc its a choke for those morons who when are in your guard lean all their weight on you (instead of having the common sense to posture up) so they either try to americana you or ezekial choke you. I think its GHEY! (btw I know you can get it from other position too)

thankfully your opinion doesnt mean shit.

although i dont use it i think its a great choke that usually only 1 person at practice can get me in. its great more props to you.

My entire nogi back game is ezekial based.

come on guys. you must all be like 2 month white belts to be calling ezeks cheap. its sad. there is no legal move that is cheap. i hear the same shit for my straight leg locks and i dont give a fuck. tbqh.

majority of people cant defend it and i can hit it decently enough. won 2 matches at grapplers quest with it today as a matter of fact.

no such thing as a cheap choke. thats bullshit that shitty people spread around.

I love it, so many people go for collar chokes if they have guard, well I can defend them pretty well so I let them choke while i pass thier guard and apply an ezekiel :)

LOL at calling Ezekiel "Cheap". Hidehiko Yoshida has some words for you son. lol.

No but seriously, it is a great choke just like any other simple collar/lapel/sleeve based choke.

Why hate on it? Because you get caught in in it all the time?

This is ridiculous...

It is a a very legit choke. If you are in a fight are you not going to do it to save your ass because it is "Cheap". One large aspect of bjj is using what is effective. Guess what...the Ezekiel is very effective.

If someone's guard is so bad that you don't get swept by putting your arm around their head they deserve to be caught by a cheap move.

Its not a cheap move. I use it a lot (probably never from someone's guard) with great success. I've won matches at tournaments with it. Don't sweat the technique.

I don't use it too often when rolling, just enough to get familiar enough with it where I can apply it quickly in a tournament match if I get the chance.

Legit. Cheap if you're in someone's guard, but if they tap to an ezekiel from guard then they should go post on fmylife.com.

no not at all. At our gym that one gets chucked around enough so it doesn't work too often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peyman
Back