Do you give any chance to Stipe

Of course there's a chance but everyone talks about Stipe being old, slow, etc., but no one is talking about motivated and focused Jon is on Stipe. Jon really wanted this fight and is really motivated. I think that is more telling than any other variable, certainly more so than Stipe. At HW, power is the last thing to go and Stipe has always had good speed and timing, I think he's still got the skill and abilities stay top 5 even at 41.

Yeah but how's Jon going to finish him? He's not a KO puncher and even at his age Stipe isn't Gane who's just going to get taken down and subbed.
Via blown knee and unable to continue. I actually doubt that happens. In reality I see jones coasting an easy and boring decision.

Yeah but how's Jon going to finish him? He's not a KO puncher and even at his age Stipe isn't Gane who's just going to get taken down and subbed.

Keep distance with leg kicks and use them to weaken Stipe's TDD until the takedown comes easy, much like he did Gus in the rematch. then elbow his face off.

The theoretical cracked chin is irrelevant against Jones. If he's the same fighter that Ngannou just fought he's absolutely got a chance, he could keep it standing, Jones could gas and Stipe could take over.

Jones is the rightful favourite, but this is a legit fight

Sherdoggers are just never rational when it comes to jones

stipe solely sucks because jones hand picked him

stipe just sucks on here now as a way to discredit jones

this absolutely is a legit fight. Stipes boxing and calf kicks will give jones problems. Jones has always had issues with people that can box well

If he shows up in great shape I think we'll see a 5 round snooze fest. Jon doesn't have the power to knock him out unless his chin is gone. Jon probably can't ragdoll him to the ground either. Expect a typical pre HW Jones style fight where he works to pick Stipe apart. If he fights aggressive he will have earned my respect, which means nothing.

I will add that at least on paper, this is the most dangerous fighter Jones has ever fought. He will at least be able to hold his own with Jones wherever the fight goes, but as far as using that reach to control the fight, Jon is the best ever.

To beat Jones?

I give him 0%

Old, inactive, coming out from a huge KO so concused

Jones by whatever he wants

This fight should have been made 3 years ago, now its too late, complete missmatch
Your "Logic" is pretty flawed.
41 isn't that old for HW, especially the HW GOAT. GSP came back after 4 years and at age 36.

Coming off a huge KO? So 3 years isn't long enough to recover from a KO? You are talking like he is Chuck getting KO'd standing by Tito Ortiz. He got KO'd by Francis and everyone gets KO'd by him.

Inactive? Jon sat out for 3 years. He looked good so why does time only count against Stipe? Since Summer 2019 Stipe has 3 fights, Jon has 3 fights.

So say 0% is stupid. If you are that absolutely certain then mortgage your house and bet it all on Jon. post the slips.

A puncher's chance, yes. If he chooses to just swing for the fences instead of playing the stupid fucking games everyone plays. I absolutely am disgusted when a fighter makes it to round 3 of 3, or 4 of 5 and is losing on the cards, and they choose to just stick with the same game plan. I understand it's hard, but when there is only one clear path of victory and people don't take that path, it's sad. This fight most likely won't go to decision. Jon, if he's smart, will disable the puncher's chance with takedowns which will most likely lead to submissions. I think I'm going to go ahead and call a RD 1 sub right now. If not, then Jon is dumb.
Rd 1 sub is the least intelligent analysis I can imagine. Stipe has never been submitted in 24 HW fights. Unless it comes off Jon rocking Stipe in the standup and finishing him with a choke its not happening.

If Jon's gameplan was shooting and playing the Jitz game it would be the dumbest plan ever. Jon trying to get the TD will be a big waste of energy. They are too even in the wrestling compared to the speed advantage Jon has on the feet. Jon will try and pick Stipe apart on the feet and chip away while avoiding the big bombs. That's his easiest path to victory.

He’s not old for hw standards ufc success and lost to Nganou and dc. Both of those would kill aspinall and pavlovich or blaydes or anybody else. jones is the best fighter of all time so a punchers chance. Just like all of jones fights

He’s got a chance for sure. He won’t fold in the first 3 seconds of the fight like some of Jones’s other opponents who shall remain nameless.

He has the ability to do it...but is the body still willing? He looks good in still shots, but we will have to see how he moves and if speed is still there.

Lol @ 0%, nothing is ever that certain in MMA.

Would be funny though if Old Man Stipe pulls it off, a lot of Jones avs will become Stipe avs. The hindsight experts will be out in full force.

Finallt, I know a few people who train/trained with Michael Stipe (midwestern grappling/BJJ scene) and although you’d NEVER know based on his fights, he is a MONSTER grappler. Mopping the floor with legit BJJ BB after BB. All no gi. I asked a legit (albeit corny as HELL) lower level submission grappler - one of those guys who is gonna invert and go for a heel hook right off the jump - and he basically laughed at me for even implying that Stipe doesn’t smash everyone when it comes time to roll, body after body.

THANK YOU for testifying, which backs up something I have tried to tell people many, many times: the rep on Stipe is that he's almost impossible to submit. But of course the wider populace only knows what goes on behind closed octagon doors, and the only time they've seen Stipe defend a submission was against Overeem. And everybody's been too busy lambasting the Reem for not going to ground & pound instead to notice how well Stipe handled it.

Jones will finish him in the 3rd round. Stipe is more washed than washed up we need a new word to describe it

0% chance? really??
we're 2 weeks out of one of the biggest upsets in the history of mma with Strickland beating Izzy and people are saying zero.
<LikeReally5>
Folks never learn. Strickland fight was one of the few fights i said the dude had zero chance of winning. Not making that mistake again.

Back