Media Do you hold Anderson Silva's positive PED test against him?

Do you hold Anderson Silva's positive PED test against him?

• Total voters
Fun fact: Anderson popped for PEDs in 2015 when USADA came in. GSP fought only Michael Bisping after a 4 year layoff in USADA era. It was his only fight since Silva popped for PEDs even though he was 6 years younger. Just saying if you judge by post-2015 (Usada era) performances, most of the GOATs don't have very stellar records.

People saying he just used it to come back from an injury and NOT that it just happened to be when he started to fightt under USADA testing,well that shits pretty funny to me.

People love to say thatr Pride fighters under "sanctioned competition" didnt do as well,but Anderson on the other hand,fights under USADA and pops immediatley....hmmm so he NEVER did anything before that? and miraculously fights good again upon leaving ufc? Hmmmmm
Fun fact: Anderson popped for PEDs in 2015 when USADA came in. GSP fought only Michael Bisping after a 4 year layoff in USADA era. It was his only fight since Silva popped for PEDs even though he was 6 years younger. Just saying if you judge by post-2015 (Usada era) performances, most of the GOATs don't have very stellar records.

Also true. Look at Jones once he likely couldnt use vs Reyes and Santos

Also look at Jones vs tall rangey opponents those are his worst fights that he should of lost or damn near almost lost. Reyes, Santos, Gustafsson 1.

I have GSP as all time due to the fact he never popped and never lost to cans. Both his losses he avenged and the Serra loss based off the rematch and their common opponents was just a fluke.

I have not and will not ever care about PED use in sports for about a hundred different reasons. It's an uninteresting cudgel wielded by uninteresting people to discredit athletes they don't like. Boring shit

PEDs are a plague upon combat sports, no question. USADA testing has done a great job at cleaning up the vast majority of the sport.

And I'd say they're a relevant issue in all discussion about the P4P GOATs, though I don't take the discussions too seriously. They're just fun.

But I'm curious what the general consensus of Anderson Silva's positive PED test after the Nick Diaz fight.

[Go ahead and vote in the poll above, if your opinion is already solidified]

Lets look back exactly what he tested positive for -

IMG_2497.0.0.JPG

https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/...-tested-positive-for-two-types-of-performance

"Anderson Silva not only tested positive for Drostanolone metabolites in a Jan. 9 out-of-competition drug test, but traces of the banned substance Androstane were also found within the legendary champion's system, according to Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) executive director Bob Bennett.

Drostanolone is a common form of anabolic steroid. Androstane is a form of endogenous steroid hormone. Both substances are banned according to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code."

That's pretty cut and dry, right? If you're of the opinion that any PEDs positive test throws into question if the fighter was always on PEDs and this was just the first time they got caught. And Silva was not using an obscure PED that no one knew about, but a steroid & steroid hormone. Two PEDs.

But there's a sympathetic argument towards this not harming his legacy. Before the Diaz fight, this happened to him 14 months before -

anderson-silva-broken-leg-10.jpg

R.5c212939c300ebc1811307ec10ed6965

tumblr_myk3ptC1br1rkoffro1_400.gif

Given the fact he went through THAT - possibly the most painful injury in combat sports - & an entire year of recovery that went into his fight camp for Diaz... its kinda understandable he'd take anything to aid in the healing [though if steroids aid in healing what injuries is another topic].

And he's never tested positive for anything before, or since.

So what's your opinion?

At the time he was competing I doubt many were clean. Only the dumb were caught.

Im not holding this at all against him. We wont ever truly know who was or wasn't on steroids. Silva will always remain for me the greatest middleweight fighter i have ever seen.

"yo anderson is so amazing man,makin people look ridiculous,how...HOW does he do it?"

t_e3430dbd76164893bda5ac2ab4a3ca3f_name_440779BACBDF4566AF6B1C78A6A7EB2B.jpg

The fact is 8 out of 10 top fighters are pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with and always have.
Is that so???

Provide evidence. Here are the MW rankings as of now. How many of them have popped?

Robert Whittaker
Jared Cannonier
Marvin Vettori
Alex Pereira
Derek Brunson
Paulo Costa
Sean Strickland
Jack Hermansson
Darren Till
Andre Muniz
Kelvin Gastelum
Nassourdine Imavov
Dricus Du Plessis
Brad Tavares
Chris Curtis

Interesting that majority believe that it's okay to take PEDs when recovering from an injury. Am sure same people think it's okay for Walter White to manufacture meth becuase he's doing it for his family while dying from cancer.

The opinions from fans follow the opinions of the sports promotions. MLB has the asterisks and the Baseball HOF denies pretty much anyone with even a hint of PED usage. Tour De France stripped Lance Armstrong of everything basically. Yet the UFC basically still enshrines and does not retroactively strip those who were caught for various violations.

Like Barry Bonds will never get into the Baseball HOF. But you think that Jon Jones will be denied by the UFC? They put his fight with Gus in the HOF already. Anderson Silva will be known as a GOAT because it is in the interest of the UFC to promote him that way. If UFC ever shifts things like MLB then public opinion will follow suit.

That being said they are all on steroids as Nate Diaz so eloquently put it. They are all guilty anyways. Garbrant kept saying that Dillashaw was on EPO over and over. The sport is dirty. Probably always has been and will be. You watch the UFC knowing it.

Back