Media Do you hold Anderson Silva's positive PED test against him?

Do you hold Anderson Silva's positive PED test against him?

• Total voters
I have always thought Anderson was too harshly criticized for getting popped late in his career because he had so many haters that wanted him nowhere near the GOAT table that he had so clearly earned a seat at the discussion for.

In reality, he fought a ton of top guys that also used as some point, and almost all of the people at the GOAT table (from within his era of dominance) had used and been caught for something, at some point. Legends and champs use PEDs. It's always been part of the game. If you are taking out every athlete that has ever cheated or used a PED, there is almost nobody left. Anderson is not different, but he gets treated like a demon because people hated him so much because he wasn't the popular white, English fluent savior the meat head fans love so much.

Not sure if serious. You realise they "enhance performance" and that its cheating. Mind blown. Cheating is ok on sherdog.
They are serious. These idiots are real, as depressing as that is.

No amount of steroids can give the reflexes he had. So, no.
Well, he was juicing for years, and they at least contributed to the reflexes he had. So, yes.

I don't hold it against them. You do your time and it's a clean slate. If you're going to hold it against Jon then you have to hold it against TJ, silva, Ortega, Diaz, gastelum. Thc is against the rules just like roids
Stupidest post of the week, you made it with only one day left!

Last edited:
I have always thought Anderson was too harshly criticized for getting popped late in his career because he had so many haters that wanted him nowhere near the GOAT table that he had so clearly earned a seat at the discussion for.

In reality, he fought a ton of top guys that also used as some point, and almost all of the people at the GOAT table (from within his era of dominance) had used and been caught for something, at some point. Legends and champs use PEDs. It's always been part of the game. If you are taking out every athlete that has ever cheated or used a PED, there is almost nobody left. Anderson is not different, but he gets treated like a demon because people hated him so much because he wasn't the popular white, English fluent savior the meat head fans love so much.
He has ALWAYS been popular since his first UFC fight. Are you trying to be racist, dumb, or both?

He has ALWAYS been popular since his first UFC fight. Are you trying to be racist, dumb, or both?
I didn't say he didn't have fan. Look how old my account is. I was there, man. I said he had very spiteful haters that made no secret that they disliked a foreign, non English speaking champ making a fool of the division. Back then, nobody was woke and people were pretty openly racist all the time.

I didn't say he didn't have fan. Look how old my account is. I was there, man. I said he had very spiteful haters that made no secret that they disliked a foreign, non English speaking champ making a fool of the division. Back then, nobody was woke and people were pretty openly racist all the time.
I take back my reply to @humdizzle. You just won stupidest post of the week!

Late 2010-early 2011. Do all the mental gymnastics you want there. Also, every fighter ever wasn't dumb enough to have PEDs in their house on camera.

You, unsurprisingly, failed to comprehend what I was saying.

I posted a video of it in plain sight. YEARS before the leg break. Please keep up, this is old news.

The video you cling to is indecisive speculation. He didn't piss hot until after the leg break.

You don’t know that

Yes, I do. It's mandatory at the highest level. This sport was built on juice, boys.

How do you know that?

It is known.

Holy shit, are you for real with this?
<Dany07>

If you understand that he was able to pass tests while taking something, then you understand that every other fighter in history was also capable of doing so.

You're trying to condemn Silva to a career of PED use based on one failed test at the end of his career, right? If that is so, you have to acknowledge that not pissing hot doesn't equate to clean. Even for your favey.

It is known.

If you understand that he was able to pass tests while taking something, then you understand that every other fighter in history was also capable of doing so.

You're trying to condemn Silva to a career of PED use based on one failed test at the end of his career, right? If that is so, you have to acknowledge that not pissing hot doesn't equate to clean. Even for your favey.
No, I don't care that he did PEDs, I think most guys were on PEDs back then, I just don't agree when people make these claims that everyone was/is on PEDs when it's just an assumption based on nothing but their own common sense logic

Especially in the USADA era, do you think everyone is still on PEDs? If so do you have any type of reason/evidence beyond you just know?

No, I don't care that he did PEDs, I think most guys were on PEDs back then, I just don't agree when people make these claims that everyone was/is on PEDs when it's just an assumption based on nothing but their own common sense logic

Especially in the USADA era, do you think everyone is still on PEDs? If so do you have any type of reason/evidence beyond you just know?

It's mandatory. Very well known. Microdosing is more common now, but the cheaters are always ahead of the testers. Not popping doesn't equate to clean.

If you don’t disregard him then you yourself are a pos and probably cheat at things in your own life lol

I am fine with PED use objectively. But when some use and some dont (due to rules) it does become a black mark. For Silva its just a knock against his longevity, not his peak ability. Silva was super dominant for a handful of years and never got popped. His later issues does not take away from that run. Its like Fedor being KO'd by Bader. Its just a minor data point when comparing the crème de la crème of MMA.

Anderson Silva fought in an era full of PED users with minimal testing. If everybody around you is using it, what are the chances your favorite fighter isn't ?

The only fair comparison is to break down pre USADA era and post USADA champions.

PEDs are a plague upon combat sports, no question. USADA testing has done a great job at cleaning up the vast majority of the sport.

And I'd say they're a relevant issue in all discussion about the P4P GOATs, though I don't take the discussions too seriously. They're just fun.

But I'm curious what the general consensus of Anderson Silva's positive PED test after the Nick Diaz fight.

[Go ahead and vote in the poll above, if your opinion is already solidified]

Lets look back exactly what he tested positive for -

IMG_2497.0.0.JPG

https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/...-tested-positive-for-two-types-of-performance

"Anderson Silva not only tested positive for Drostanolone metabolites in a Jan. 9 out-of-competition drug test, but traces of the banned substance Androstane were also found within the legendary champion's system, according to Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) executive director Bob Bennett.

Drostanolone is a common form of anabolic steroid. Androstane is a form of endogenous steroid hormone. Both substances are banned according to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code."

That's pretty cut and dry, right? If you're of the opinion that any PEDs positive test throws into question if the fighter was always on PEDs and this was just the first time they got caught. And Silva was not using an obscure PED that no one knew about, but a steroid & steroid hormone. Two PEDs.

But there's a sympathetic argument towards this not harming his legacy. Before the Diaz fight, this happened to him 14 months before -

anderson-silva-broken-leg-10.jpg

R.5c212939c300ebc1811307ec10ed6965

tumblr_myk3ptC1br1rkoffro1_400.gif

Given the fact he went through THAT - possibly the most painful injury in combat sports - & an entire year of recovery that went into his fight camp for Diaz... its kinda understandable he'd take anything to aid in the healing [though if steroids aid in healing what injuries is another topic].

And he's never tested positive for anything before, or since.

So what's your opinion?

yup same as i go for jon jones

Back