Do you look down on people who were spoiled?

Not really. I don't look down on anybody really. I'm down here. All i have is my own principles.

Well, you live in West Sac. So there really is no way for you to look down on anyone.

Please don't kill me.

Only when theyre arrogant and criticize folks that cant afford to take risks and fail, like they can.

I used to date a chick who lived with her parents at 30 and took a year off work to travel around the world, only to have the luxury of going right back to her family's business whenever she was ready. She wouldnt hesitate to look down at people who hadnt been to places she did because they had to stay close to home to pay the bills and keep a job.

Last edited:
Depends how they carry it. I know some kids who were spoiled that became contemptible brats. I know others that kept it humble. I respect the latter version of a spoiled child, not the former.

to put it simply. no.

I Am that spoiled brat. Been driving luxury cars since high school. My dad just bought me a bmw 750 li, my previous was a LS he bought me. He also bought me a nice house in Orange County in cash, it's completely paid off. Parents completely paid for my undergrad schooling although i lived at home and drove an hour + to save them money from dorm/rent. My parents told me many times it's okay if i live on campus or closer to school they would pay but I refused as I thought it would be a complete waste of money.

I'm 28 and they are still buying me nice things all the time. I never ask for anything though. i am incredibly thankful for everything I get and I let my parents know that. My dad owns a business that does well and wants me to take it over. After graduating with a BS in biochemistry I declined my dads offer, I'm currently in grad school a year away from getting my PhD in biochemistry. When I finish i will move back to Ventura county and they will probably buy me a 1.5+ million dollar house, although i insist I don't need something huge or nice. I could have done the billy Madison route or taken over the business and worked with my dad, but I wanted to challenge myself and find a path I enjoyed. Although due to some circumstances I will probably run the business after I graduate.

My friends know my family is wealthy and I'm spoiled but they have never given me crap for it. They will usually defend me if someone (like an outside acquaintance at a party) says something about it. Actually nobody I grew up with (even people I was not friends with ) has ever given me crap for it and I grew up in a small town where everyone grows up knowing everyone. They know I don't ask for any of it and they also know that I'm the type of person who could live without the nice stuff. I don't post pictures of the nice stuff I get on Facebook or tell everyone dude look at my new car when I get one or things like that. I just let things happen to me and to about my business. I don't brag or say anything about money in general. I remember a friend coming to my dads business with me when I wanted to pick something up from there. He comes I with me , he does a complete cartoon jaw drop and says something like "dude I knew u guys were wealthy but wtf ur dad owns all this, you never mentioned it".

Also I wouldn't say money buys you out of tough times. Grad school has been a miserable struggle for me. Although not having to worry about rent or anything financial does lighten the burden, a lot of the things that have been troubling me cannot be changed with money.

Last edited:
so you're friend was focused on sport and academics during school, went to college, got 2 degrees, now goes to law school, has a low opinion of night club bouncers, is grateful for what he's got and all in all is a good guy, yet you still feel the need to judge him negatively because of the money his parents earned?

Wow, TS.

It's not like he excelled in athletics and academia. He was an average student and probably wouldn't even make it out of college without the support he got. I never really associated him with being a spoiled brat until he was kicked out of the popular college bar on his graduation night when he wasn't even that drunk. Turns out he had been hooking up with a bartender there and she was pissed at him because he didn't want to date her and she told a bouncer to kick him out. But some of the stuff he was saying was really something that a spoiled brat and douche would say. Saying things like, "You're a peasant and you'll still be doing this job in 5 years." and "Nice career path, guy."

I dunno, made me think of the other stuff he's said in the past that makes me think that he's really spoiled and wouldn't be where he is today if the circumstances were different.

I do not look down on them. I am more concerned about myself and earning the things that I want.

I wish nothing but the best for everyone else. God bless them.

Your friend sounds awesome, you on the other hand...

Jealousy doesn't discredit anything. I certainly don't try to look down on them, but I could, and have, become jealous over a few idiosyncrasies.

Damn it, man! We have got to stop agreeing with eachother! People are going to think we're alts!

Lol from what I've gathered over time one of us might be a clone of the other.

I think maybe TS get's these thoughts after his friend has done/said something offensive to someone like his example of "you're a peasant".

I grew up with a lot of rich friends. The school I went to was on the same road as some of the largest homes in my city. A school where students would come to school in bmw/audi/benz most of the time, I took the bus or walked. That being said, I can't remember any of my rich friends being snobs. I went to a school where (Besides the cars, we all knew they belonged to the parents) a lot of the rich kids didn't flaunt the money.

I often found the less fortunate kids to be snobs and rude for some reason.

@lakersfan45:

No offense as you've always seemed like a good dude, but growing up with that kind of wealth and security you don't know what hard times are. Even a little.

No problem with lucky kids who realise they're lucky. I knew George Harrison's son as a kid and he was as down to earth as anyone else, despite having a dad who was in the biggest band the world has seen.

I also grew up with an England international footballer for a next door neighbour and have been friends with his son for over 30 years. Now, he's the complete opposite of Dhani (George's son) - shocking sense of entitlement, no sense of perspective and has lived off his parents for 40 years, to the point where he's almost completely incapable of looking after himself.

I don't envy either of them, but they couldn't be more different in their attitudes to the great fortune that befell them. The footballer's son has my pity rather than my envy or disdain, because his refusal to grow as a person and learn to cope with adult life isn't something I'd want to have to deal with. But I do accept that not everyone feels the same - indeed, many people find him incredibly infuriating and won't have anything to do with him.

A sense of entitlement and a lack of perspective are ugly, ugly traits.

Actually, my wife's lack of perspective amuses me no end. She tells people about how poor they were when she was young, despite her going to an international school set up for diplomats, that has its own helipad. Daft cow doesn't know she's born.

I have a friend who would be considered spoiled by most standards. His parents bought him a couple different cars throughout high school, he never had to take a job besides working for the family business and could focus on athletics and grades throughout high school. He got no scholarships to go to college, took five years to graduate with a couple bs degrees, all on his parent's dime with no student loan debt. Then he decides he wants to go to law school and gets that covered as well. He doesn't come across as an ungrateful prick or a spoiled brat who is super selfish, although he sometimes does say derogatory things about bouncers at bars and people like that and he always knows exactly the brand and price of everything that people have, but all in all he's a good cat. However, I can't help but feel a little judgmental towards people who are 22 years old and have never had a real job, get everything paid for and seemingly never go through the tough times. I feel like those types of people don't handle adversity well and eventually won't end up being successful. What say you?

You sound poor.

@lakersfan45:

No offense as you've always seemed like a good dude, but growing up with that kind of wealth and security you don't know what hard times are. Even a little.

yeah i get what you are saying. when i put things in perspective most things i struggle with are just in my head. in reality i'm in an incredibly comfortable situation and given the opportunity to achieve great things. i think thats just it though, i put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed on my own. i had a nasty bout with depression some years back and currently grad school has been the bane of my existence. so maybe not "tough times" is that right expression, but i guess my point is that money cant buy you out of trouble or having problems.

i'm also not completely immune or naive to how others live. ive spent weeks living in a village in guatemala not knowing if there would be water on a day to day basis to take a shower. ive also spent time in some pretty run down places in egypt (when i go to those places i prefer to stay with family even though i could get a hotel or rent a nice place). when i was a kid i'd only get things from garage sales and i used to pick up cans in the street with my brother and bring them to my parents, but i'm not saying we ever lived "poor" - we didnt i was always well taken care of. it was during my teen years that my parents started to become (or at least start spoiling us) really wealthy.

yeah i get what you are saying. when i put things in perspective most things i struggle with are just in my head. in reality i'm in an incredibly comfortable situation and given the opportunity to achieve great things. i think thats just it though, i put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed on my own. i had a nasty bout with depression some years back and currently grad school has been the bane of my existence. so maybe not "tough times" is that right expression, but i guess my point is that money cant buy you out of trouble or having problems.

i'm also not completely immune or naive to how others live. ive spent weeks living in a village in guatemala not knowing if there would be water to take a shower. ive also spent time in some pretty run down places in egypt (when i go to those places i prefer to stay with family even though i could get a hotel or rent a nice place). when i was a kid i'd only get things from garage sales and i used to pick up cans in the street with my brother and bring them to my parents, but i'm not saying we ever lived "poor" - we didnt i was always well taken care of. it was during my teen years that my parents started to become really wealthy.

Yeah I really meant it when I said no offense and that you're a good person, but I probably still came off like a dick. It's just hard to hear about people that have as much as you do when I didn't even have both parents, or a car, or food sometimes etc etc when I was growing up.

You never really know in what way someone has been neglected or otherwise deprived in childhood. Money isn't everything. So knowing that I don't know everything about them, I try not to judge.

I don't look down on handicapped people and spoiled people most often fall into the same category. You have to be really limited to fail to understand that happiness doesn't derive from getting something handed to you but rather from earning it.

Yeah I really meant it when I said no offense and that you're a good person, but I probably still came off like a dick. It's just hard to hear about people that have as much as you do when I didn't even have both parents, or a car, or food sometimes etc etc when I was growing up.

Money sorts a lot of things, but the human condition is about what is relative.

Back