Do you own your home?

I own an 1800sq foot house (three bedroom two full baths) with an attached garage. It's in a smaller town in Minnesota and worth about $185K, we bought it 20 years ago for about $85k.

We also own a cabin in Northern Minnesota that's on two acres that borders a large public land plot and has lake front. It's about 1600sqft, has a large outbuilding too and is probably worth about $200K

We own nothing on either place , they were paid off about 7 years ago.

I don't care that much about the size of the house but I want enough land where I never have to see a neighbor unless I want to. Having lived in rental buildings for a long time I want a little space.

I'm almost there to buy in cash, need one more year. Hopefully I can pull it off before everything goes to shite.

58559946.jpg

I don't outright own my house as I just bought it last year. It's a three bedroom 1326 SQ ft house on a 7200 SQ ft lot.

I could probably own a mansion in some parts of the country for what I paid for it. Thankfully my wife makes a shit ton of money lmao so between the two of us we do alright.

Fortunately our house is worth about 80k more than what we paid a year ago for it.

When you pay off your house, it's a game changer. I ran out of things to buy a long time ago.
I bought a fixer upper with cash. I slowly made improvements over a year and now I'm debt free with a house. It's so easy to save money now even with making a few extra non-essential purchases.

Bought my first house last October so been 1 year. Bought it for 686k and it’s valued now at 800k

1540sqft…average sized lot, basic backyard in nice Suburban neighborhood in Camarillo CA.

Bought my first house last October so been 1 year. Bought it for 686k and it’s valued now at 800k

1540sqft…average sized lot, basic backyard in nice Suburban neighborhood in Camarillo CA.
You're in horse country!

Definitely some nice areas with lots of horse properties nearby although we have a little more basic area
It's a nice area for sure. Congrats on the purchase.

If I lived up that way I'd be in Solvang all the time, love that town.

It's a nice area for sure. Congrats on the purchase.

If I lived up that way I'd be in Solvang all the time, love that town.
I visited solvang for first time about 2 years ago, awesome place for certain. Definitely a to do list spot for any Californian

I bought my house in 2004 for $155k and have about 5 years left. I bought direct from the builder who was a family friend so got a pretty great deal even before the 2008 crash, with 3bd/2bt on 1.3 acres. Housing market in Washington has gone absolutely bonkers and it’s sitting at $470k~$520k depending on if you’re looking at Redfin or Zillow.

Once the market cools off I realistically think I would get $400k~$450k. It makes me feel bad for first time home buyers trying to break into the market with no existing equity to leverage into these wild home prices.

timing is everything with these homes, got mine for 450 in 2012? over 1M now. 2.2K/7K sq. may not sound big compared to other parts of the US, but it's certainly big for the area I'm in, so cal in a nice city. my only regret was paying off the home too early, really should have bought multiple homes at the time, saved like a mad man during the early 2K's

Own my own home outright (it is a home not a house in my family's mind). Have done so since about 15 years or so. Half acre site out in the country and detached from all other properties so plenty of room for the kids to play in safety outdoors and make as much noise as they like. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms etc. etc.

Currently renting main and top floor of a house in Vancouver BC with my wife and 3 kids. Tons of space but it kind of sucks having another tenant below us.

we’ve been looking for a house to buy for almost a year now but the market has been way too crazy.

Good luck. Hopefully the prices drop for you guys.

Still a lot left on my house mortgage in Burnaby.

If so where do you live, what year did you buy, how big is your house and how much land do you own?

I bought my house in 2012 for about $90,000. It's worth about $140,000 now. Three-bedroom, 2 bath, garage, 1300 sq feet. Sits on 1 acre. Huge backyard. It's slightly above average interior. Needs a little work on the siding.

I have three girls and a wife so I'm honestly thinking about upgrading to a bigger place. My buddy is selling his home, 2200 Sq feet sits on a couple of acres, for about 250k.

I'm still undecided tho because I enjoy the low payment and will have it paid off in less than 10 years. I pull in about 100k a year. My wife makes about 35k, so we do alright especially given our cost of living (North east Oklahoma).

What are you guys and gals living in? What are your thoughts on owning a house?
No I don't own my own house but hopefully someday I will.

Right now living with a family member.

I'm not apposed to living in a mobile if I can get own property.

So, here on the east coast of Canada, the province I live in was not following the trend of soaring home prices and my wife and I, being middle aged when we met, gave no serious consideration to buying a home in 2012.

But just three or four years ago it's like the speculators found this place or something (I blame AirBnB's but I have no proof of that). Prices began to take off exponentially. Check this out from the real estate industry website,
peia_chart05_xhi-res.png

The average home price has doubled in 4 or 5 years. That's crazy.

So, you can imagine our predicament when we were suddenly evicted this summer since our condo was put up for sale on a Tuesday, viewed on Friday, and sold Saturday.

We found a house to buy and we ended up paying significantly over asking. It made no sense to continue to rent and face the same circumstances over and over with higher rents each time and we just went for it even though I felt we got soaked.

The newly-reelected federal government promised some new policies aimed at helping reduce the insane upward pressure on prices but the main issue is plain and simply very high demand and very low inventory.

peia_chart03_xhi-res.png

peia_chart01_xhi-res.png

You can see the clear correlation between the precipitous fall of inventory, starting in 2016, with the steep rise in prices as the average shot up over $200K for the first time, but I don't personally have any sure idea of which precipitated the other. We just plain need more places for people to live in so demand is not so insanely high, whether it is so-called low cost housing or not. Surprisingly, I learned recently zoning of all things is gravely holding back new home construction and more measures like this are needed:
On the state level, California Gov. Gavin Newsom approved a law on September 16 that outlaws single-family home zoning in the state, clearing the way for the building of duplexes on any single-family lots. The progressive measure immediately allows for the creation of 700,0000 more homes in existing neighborhoods. By comparison, California typically permits 100,000 new homes each year. By banning single-family zoning, the state reversed a century-old status quo that protected property values instead of providing denser and more affordable housing.

tl;dr We need better zoning laws and more places built. We paid over $250K for a place that was worth half that 5 years ago. If that sort of growth were to continue, people just starting out in the work place will hardly ever catch up if they want to own a home. Salaries aren't keeping up with that shit.

Paid 130k in 2011 now it's almost 400k on Zillow. I owe about 30k on it still.
Ah man, how did I not know about that site. That would have been a huge help to us. Oh well, we fumbled through anyway and it might come in handy some other time. Cool site.

Very well insulated and private, we never hear him.
Isn't it said, "It's always the quiet ones..."?

Last edited:
Back