Elections Do you prefer the American Election or Canadian Election?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The American Election goes on for almost two years I believe. While the Canadian Election only goes a little over a month. The American Election pretty much only has two parties to choose from. While the Canadian Election has about 5 parties to choose from.

Which do you prefer?

1200px-ElectoralCollege2020.svg.png

canada-2019-election.jpg

I like the fact that the Canadian one has a maximum legal duration of 56 days. Let’s face it, a longer campaign doesn’t really change people’s minds as most know which way they’re leaning at the start anyways. I don’t need a prolonged mud-slinging dog and pony show to know who to vote for.

Minority governments are often the results of our multiple parties elections, but that in itself offers a few more checks and balances.

There is really only 2 Canadian parties, the Liberals and Conservatives.

The far left tax and spend commie NDP Party won less seats than the separatist, Anglophone hating Bloc Quebecois party. For those unaware, the BQ only ever wins votes in Quebec and doesn't run candidates in most ridings outside Quebec.

Bringing up the rear are the Greens who are projected to win 2 seats and the PPC with 0.

To say we have 5+ parties to choose from is correct, but it's also not telling the whole story. 3 of those 5 have never been in power Federally, and there is a good chance none of the 3 ever will.

Based on the NDP struggling to win 30 seats, when we have 338 up for grabs, it's not likely we will see them in power any time soon.

The US is better in everyway except the lenght of campaigns.

I definitely prefer the election that doesn’t result in Justin Trudeau leading my country.

The US doesnt technically last 2 years does it?

Trump declared candidacy in Summer of 2015. Elected November of 2016, took office January 2017.

Having an independent organization (Elections Canada) that deals with drawing the ridings (electoral districts) every ten years after the census means we largely avoid the partisan gerrymandering done by both parties in the US.

In my opinion, it's one of the best features of Canadian elections.

Doesn't matter. Both were one by racist White Privilege liberals. Justin Blackface Trudeau and Old White Man Joe Biden
Odd that so much of Canada's newcomer population votes Liberal, hm? If it helps you feel any better, perhaps that's because in Canada's parliamentary democracy, it's actually the party who received the votes and won while Trudeau just happens to be leader. The significance of that distinction should not be underestimated when comparing the US and Canada.

Sure, you can consider Trudeau a terrible representative of the party if you like, but to many, the key question is how good a job do you think each party will do in the coming months/years? Judging by the overall conservative bent in this country to follow their American counterparts into politicizing a public health emergency, the Conservative party appear under duress to lean that way as well. Sadly, the NDP are having trouble getting past the Dear Leader Jack Leighton follower stage and on to broad support from the public at large based on their party as a whole, as reflected in the even more difficult time the Green Party is having in that regard.

One definite plus about the Canadian system over the American one is I love a minority government. They seem to get a lot more done most of the time.

Also, just for the record, the graphic in the OP is not the results of this most recent general election in Canada; it's from an old one.

our national elections are fine.. just need to get rid of the electoral college

I don't know the Canadian system. But If you pick any random country on the world map, chances are that their electoral system is better than the American one.

Canada isn't a real country so obviously their elections would be simple and quick.

Back