Do you think there's more than one universe?

Although this doesn't really equate to what you said in the piece I quoted.
Yes it does. Here is what you said:
(...and the law of physics changeat the 'micro' and 'macro' level. But at what point?) None of that is even remotely true. Where did you get that idea?

I'm mainly talking about the second part, to wit, "...and why does critical mass in a hydrogen bomb create every element that has ever existed in the universe prior to explosion?" What makes you think so?

rj144 was asking me the same question. Please refer to post #138 above.

Yes it does. Here is what you said:

rj144 was asking me the same question. Please refer to post #138 above.
I'm not interested in some youtube video about something that sounds made up. I'd like to hear you explain what makes you think a a fusion bomb makes elements only created in the most energetic processes in the universe before I waste any time on a video.

I'm not interested in some youtube video about something that sounds made up. I'd like to hear you explain what makes you think a fusion bomb makes elements only created in the most energetic processes in the universe before I waste any time on a video.

Yeah, everything on the internet is fake. That would include Sherdog would it not? Yeah, the Leonard Susskind on Richard Feynman video is fake too. Good starting point for an assumption. Nuclear physics is not my area of expertise. I like to read about it. Psychology is my field of study. Ask @rj144 or @ScriptReadsMe about it. I'm asking the same question. How do scientists know that that even occurs? How do they measure 1,000,000th of a second? But I'll take a whack at it: Elements are temporarily formed due to the chain reaction inside the super critical mass?

Let's go further. Why does a Hydrogen atom have only one proton and one electron? Why is the speed of light = 299,792,458 meters per second? Why can't light travel at half that speed?

I have little idea of what's going on in the subatomic world, besides its probabilistic nature. I made a rule not to approach it until I get to the bottom of classical physics lol. I don't understand why universities don't order their courses in the same way physics and mathematics evolved during the last 3 centuries. IMO it's hard to build intuition relating to a concept unless you follow in the same foot steps that led to the elaboration of said concept. Personally I have to see with my own eyes the logical steps taken. My uni has electricity and magnetism (19th century) as a first semester course but Lagrangian mechanics (18th century) as last year undergrad course. Why?? Nothing infuriates me more than things done backwards. What makes things worse is that the mathematics that came along Lagrange mechanics seem to be required to properly understand the content of electricity and magnetism course

It's a song I wrote you stupid shit what the fuck is wrong with you motherfucker piece of shit what the fuck is wrong with making songs its totally normal you fucking loser

Burst.Out.Laughing

I have little idea of what's going on in the subatomic world, besides its probabilistic nature. I made a rule not to approach it until I get to the bottom of classical physics lol. I don't understand why universities don't order their courses in the same way physics and mathematics evolved during the last 3 centuries. IMO it's hard to build intuition relating to a concept unless you follow in the same foot steps that led to the elaboration of said concept. Personally I have to see with my own eyes the logical steps taken. My uni has electricity and magnetism (19th century) as a first semester course but Lagrangian mechanics (18th century) as last year undergrad course. Why?? Nothing infuriates me more than things done backwards. What makes things worse is that the mathematics that came along Lagrange mechanics seem to be required to properly understand the content of electricity and magnetism course

What do you mean E&M is a first semester course? Like the second semester of a freshman physics course or the upper level course for majors?

What do you mean E&M is a first semester course? Like the second semester of a freshman physics course or the upper level course for majors?

Here's the structure of the bachelor's program:
https://admission.umontreal.ca/programmes/baccalaureat-en-physique/structure-du-programme/

The first number associated with a course indicates the year (1,2 or 3rd year of the bachelor's program)
EM was a bad example because I noticed some material left out was covered in another course given the same year. But let me give you a better example

Quantum mechanics 1 is obligatory and suggested to be taken in 2nd year. However, Mechanics 2 (which introduces Poisson brackets and Hamiltonian mechanics) is not obligatory at all and is suggested as 3rd year course. Maybe I'm wrong, but can you even cover QM1 without addressing the stuff covered in Mechanics 2? How do you make the jump from classical mechanics to QM without passing by Poisson brackets and Hamilton. Maybe you can, but from my (limited) understanding they were essential to foundations of QM

I don't understand why universities don't order their courses in the same way physics and mathematics evolved during the last 3 centuries. My uni has electricity and magnetism (19th century) as a first semester course but Lagrangian mechanics (18th century) as last year undergrad course. Why?? Nothing infuriates me more than things done backwards. What makes things worse is that the mathematics that came along Lagrange mechanics seem to be required to properly understand the content of electricity and magnetism course

Because universities want your money. :) They want you to be a student for a long time. Christ, at the rate they are going it will take a few years. ...are you going for a PhD? What university? ...and to think all the information you need is already online. I had a friend Major in Nuclear Physics and it was paid by the U.S. Navy. Smart guy. He put in his 4 years in service and got out. Hated the Navy. Not sure why, but he is now involved in real estate and the sale of tupperware. What exactly do you do with a Nuclear Physics PhD?

I like how nuclear weapons work. I have some Uranium 238 I'm converting to U235. You can purchase U238 and 'yellow cake' online. I'm working on a small bomb. 1 to 3 kilotons, maybe. All information from the internet. Probably 2 more years. Might need your help on a few issues. I live way out in the country. It will be for the 2020 4th of July celebration. I'll have the biggest 'firecracker' in the block. o_O

Last edited:
Because universities want your money. :) They want you to be a student for a long time. Christ, at the rate they are going it will take a few years. ...are you going for a PhD? What university? ...and to think all the information you need is already online. I had a friend Major in Nuclear Physics and it was paid by the U.S. Navy. Smart guy. He put in his 4 years in service and got out. Hated the Navy. Not sure why, but he is now involved in real estate and the sale of tupperware. What exactly do you do with a Nuclear Physics PhD?

I like how nuclear weapons work. I have some Uranium 235 I'm converting to U238. You can purchase U235 and 'yellow cake' online. I'm working on a small bomb. 1 to 3 kilotons, maybe. All information from the internet. Probably 2 more years. Might need your help on a few issues. I live way out in the country. It will be for the 2020 4th of July celebration. I'll have the biggest 'firecracker' in the block. o_O

anigif_enhanced-8724-1397082915-5.gif

Besides renewable energy, maybe some space travel and medical applications? I'm definitely not going for a PhD, for the time being I'm just taking whatever piques my curiosity (just started as an independent student at University of Montreal). As an independent student, pretty much any course of 1st year bachelor's (regardless of program) is accessible. But my next course will definitely be real analysis. Gotta know how to construct proofs else there's no point to anything lol

I think you all should watch Dragon Ball, because there they show there's plenty of universes.

By the way, there will be a professor from MIT that is giving a lecture on precisely this topic (multiverse) on my campus this Thursday. I can't make it due to work but maybe someone in the audience will record. I'll post whatever I can salvage

Here's the structure of the bachelor's program:
https://admission.umontreal.ca/programmes/baccalaureat-en-physique/structure-du-programme/

The first number associated with a course indicates the year (1,2 or 3rd year of the bachelor's program)
EM was a bad example because I noticed some material left out was covered in another course given the same year. But let me give you a better example

Quantum mechanics 1 is obligatory and suggested to be taken in 2nd year. However, Mechanics 2 (which introduces Poisson brackets and Hamiltonian mechanics) is not obligatory at all and is suggested as 3rd year course. Maybe I'm wrong, but can you even cover QM1 without addressing the stuff covered in Mechanics 2? How do you make the jump from classical mechanics to QM without passing by Poisson brackets and Hamilton. Maybe you can, but from my (limited) understanding they were essential to foundations of QM

You don't need to to know Poisson brackets to understand basic QM. Commutators are much more important in QM than Poisson brackets. Also, although it is helpful to know the Hamiltonian formalism to understand the Schroedinger equation, one can just introduce the Schroedinger equation and go from there. I learned QB before I really learned Lagrangians and Hamiltonians or Poisson brackets and it was fine.

By the way, there will be a professor from MIT that is giving a lecture on precisely this topic (multiverse) on my campus this Thursday. I can't make it due to work but maybe someone in the audience will record. I'll post whatever I can salvage

Is it Max Tegnark? His lectures are awesome and they put them on YouTube.

You don't need to to know Poisson brackets to understand basic QM. Commutators are much more important in QM than Poisson brackets. Also, although it is helpful to know the Hamiltonian formalism to understand the Schroedinger equation, one can just introduce the Schroedinger equation and go from there. I learned QB before I really learned Lagrangians and Hamiltonians or Poisson brackets and it was fine.

But with hindsight, would you have done things differently or take the same path? Is there a more efficient and simple way to do these things? I would have done it chronologically, to me that's what makes most sense, but I could be wrong. I don't have your background

Besides renewable energy, maybe some space travel and medical applications? I'm definitely not going for a PhD, for the time being I'm just taking whatever piques my curiosity (just started as an independent student at University of Montreal). As an independent student, pretty much any course of 1st year bachelor's (regardless of program) is accessible. But my next course will definitely be real analysis. Gotta know how to construct proofs else there's no point to anything lol

Ok, but it is like Psychology, you wont be able to do much with a Bachelor Degree in Nuclear Physics. You have a few other options. There are free online Nuclear Physics courses from top universities available. Also, degree online programs. This is what I think @deltapapha is doing. Self paced and it takes a lot of motivation to do it by yourself.

Free Online Nuclear Physics Courses from Top Universities:
Link: http://learningpath.org/articles/Free_Online_Nuclear_Physics_Courses_from_Top_Universities.html

Two undergraduate and two graduate courses in nuclear physics are available for online study through MIT's OpenCourseware:

. Applied Nuclear Physics
. Introduction to Applied Nuclear Physics
. Neutron Science and Reactor Physics
. Introduction to Nuclear & Particle Physics

Complete Guide to an Online Physics Degree - Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral:
Link: https://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/degrees/physics

Course Offerings:

Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
Engineering Mathematics
Fundamentals of Engineering Mechanics and Design
Thermal-Fluid Systems I
Mechanics of Materials
Heat Transfer
Fundamentals of NE
Radiological Engr. Design
Nuclear Reactor Engineering
Computational Design in NE
Nuclear Engineering Seminar
Nuclear Weapons Effects
Instrumentation and Shielding
Radiological Safety
Advanced Nuclear System Design Project I
Advanced Nuclear System Design Project II
Modern Physics

Also, here is the controversial article printed on 'The Progressive' magazine back in 1979 that the United States Department of Energy attempted to censor but failed.

A good read. Link: http://progressive.org/downloads/2722/download/1179.pdf?cb=c4a7db57c9e999ed5e304327da730ae3

Back