Does anyone do reverse hypers?

HatchetHarry

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve never used a reverse hyper before. No gyms around me have one so I can’t just go out and try it. How do you program them and do you think they have helped your squat or deadlift? I have heard some people say they are dangerous pseudoscience while others swear by them.

I do both Reverse Hypers (technically you can do them over a high table if there's a counter weight) and Back Extensions.

I use both as a way to get some volume/assistance for my lower back. I would say neither is ''dangerous'', they're both great exercises that I combined with my lower body work. The truth lies somewhere in between, it's not dangerous and it's not a magic exercise either.

If you do any variations of Squats (Box, Front, Regular) and Deadlifts (Sumo, Trap, Regular) coupled with Back Extensions and/or Reverse Hypers + abdominal work (AB Roller + Weighted Planks are great) you're pretty much golden for all athletic purposes regarding lower body strength.

they’re not dangerous at all, quite the opposite

they’re not dangerous at all, quite the opposite

Some people claim otherwise and there isn’t a lot of evidence to support the claims of Louie from Westside. The guys from Westside are obviously doing something right though and are strong as hell regardless of drugs/gear. I just cleared some space in my garage gym and have room for one and am debating between one and the rogue echo bike. Not sure what I want.

Some people claim otherwise and there isn’t a lot of evidence to support the claims of Louie from Westside. The guys from Westside are obviously doing something right though and are strong as hell regardless of drugs/gear. I just cleared some space in my garage gym and have room for one and am debating between one and the rogue echo bike. Not sure what I want.
Get a glute ham developer instead. All the benefits of traction without worrying about injury.

Don’t know how much lower back benefit can be gained if your ROM stops at the floor?

This is the model I got. I didn’t want to commit the space to a full size ghd. I used the floor model for the first time yesterday and think it will benefit my squats/deads. It was only $250

This is the model I got. I didn’t want to commit the space to a full size ghd. I used the floor model for the first time yesterday and think it will benefit my squats/deads. It was only $250

That thing looks sweet!

That thing looks sweet!

10ghc00.jpg

73dwmg.jpg

343oe0w.jpg

Still a work in progress but I only workout at home now. I really need more Olympic plates. There is a guy 30 min away on craiglist who sells tons of shit but I haven’t had time to go.

I would say neither is ''dangerous'', they're both great exercises that I combined with my lower body work. The truth lies somewhere in between, it's not dangerous and it's not a magic exercise either.

What's your opinion on Dr. Stuart McGill assement claiming that the reverse hyper can cause back injuries and disc degeneration due to repeated flexion?

10ghc00.jpg

73dwmg.jpg

343oe0w.jpg

Still a work in progress but I only workout at home now. I really need more Olympic plates. There is a guy 30 min away on craiglist who sells tons of shit but I haven’t had time to go.
Looks awesome, lucky you!

What's your opinion on Dr. Stuart McGill assement claiming that the reverse hyper can cause back injuries and disc degeneration due to repeated flexion?
Has he said that in regards to the reserve hyper?

The problem with the "repeated flexion causes disc degeneration" thing is that all the studies were done in vitro, meaning in a lab outside the human body with synthetic bio material. They put it in this machine that flexes thousands of times and then they observe degeneration. However, in vivo, meaning in the human body there's a wide array of mechanisms that allow healing and prevent long term degeneration which is not accounted for. McGill is a mechanic, one of the best, but he doesn't emphasize the finer points in fysiology. While poorly done repeated flexion definitely can impact your back health, depending on a host of variables, there's no evidence to suggest that it's a dangerous movement in moderation and without external loads. Also, you cannot show me a single person who does not have some sort of disc generation, especially with age. Which is not to say that you shouldn't protect your back though.

I say all this as someone who doesn't particularly like the reverse hyper and KNOWS that it doesn't cure all back ailments as it's proclaimed to do by some. It can make it better or worse, depending on the nature of the injury, the timing, the volume, the load and so on. The whole traction thing is nonsense, although I might alleviate pain for some.

10ghc00.jpg

73dwmg.jpg

343oe0w.jpg

That’s an awesome set up. My equipment is just scattered across my basement lol

Obviously he knows a bit more about backs than I do, but I think anything done in excess can be hurtful at some point, just like running, deadlifting, squatting, sitting, etc. I prefer Back Extensions on a GHR machine personally.

Back