Does anyone else feel like they are terrible at BJJ?

Hammer mentioned the thing about new guys. That's when I realized how much I've progressed. Back in the beginning I didn't know anything about positioning. You really don't realize how much you learn until a couple of new guys come in and you roll with them. Not only techniques, but how much more flexible you are and how much your balance improves. Stuff like that.

Stick with it man. I only wish I could train more times per week than I do.

Stick with it. You go through phases, ups, downs, all that fun. I sometimes feel like I have "Grappling Dyslexia" where I do all the new moves backwards and wrong until I get a chance to drill them and really put them into muscle memory, as well as grasp the underlying concept.

Lovesong said:
Ok, so I've been training grappling since September. I've definately decided I'm not a natural grappler. I have a very hard time putting the moves I'm taught into practice during live positional drills and/or rolling. I'm a bit of a slow learner when it comes to techniques.

Others who have started the same time or even much later than me can dominate me on the mat. I am getting better relative to where I started out, but it seems everyone else gets better faster.

It also seems like many people in the internet community are very confident in thier ability.(Whether that's internet bragging or not is questionable)

With all that said, I'm not going to give up BJJ or anything stupid like that. Eventually hardwork is going to pay off. I'm a pretty dedicated person, so it would take a major life event to make me quit BJJ (Serious injury, job relocation, etc.).

The big question is, does anyone else feel the same way, yet continue to grapple anyway? If so, how do you deal with it? I get damn frustrated at times but I keep on showing up to class....

~LS~

i feel the same way sometimes. people go up and down like a roller coaster! dont worry about it. if anything...it should be motivation to get better!

Its baptism by fire
i got my assed whooped day in day out for months
it is all about the little victories that go unnoticed is what you need to be focused on
you last a little longer, a good elbo escape, a good upa, a re-guard-that is what needs to be fucused on. you get bent up on winning all the time you will just get discouraged
just focus on yourself make little improvements on you game fuck everyone else

good days and bad days are part of the game

I think i could be pretty good at bjj if i practiced more.
I do feel that i suck right now though..

But i base it not off of how well you do if your a begginner but how well you get the concepts, I understand alot of the concept and see moves coming and stuff like that. So even if now i cant avoid them, im just glad that i have the eyes for them. one day ill know the escapes.

dont think im terrible just not satisfied yet.

i TOTALLY feel you man.

Before I started I would watch countless UFC events, watch the Gracies dominate and think "wow... that looks so easy... I can do that... I think I would be pretty good and a natural!"

So I went and the first day got my ass kicked horribly by a 115 pound women.

Last night I went (and this is only my 3rd week) and I didn't tap a single person out. I got tapped 3 times and dominated by a guy thats in his 2nd week (but formerly a wrestler so that helped him a lot) and I didn't tap anybody out the whole night. You've been doing it considerably longer, but I feel I am in the same boat. I TOTALLY get what you are saying how you know the holds but its much harder to apply them in rolling than it is when your practicing.

I got tapped tonight by a new guy, maybe 3 weeks in.

He was 50-60 lbs heaveir and a college wrestler, but I'm a goddamn purple belt. We all make mistakes.

Don't give up, eventually you'll "get it"

"lifes tough get a helmet" a qoute from a wise man Eric Matthews from Boy meets world

yea i totally suck at BJJ. i used to train BJJ/MMA grappling 2-3x a week untill a month ago. ive been strictly training standup and plan to fight within the next few months (kickboxing).

if i do come back to training BJJ/MMA, i need to start getting stronger. i feel like thats why i get pwned so much. even if i have all the technique, i still suck because everyone just overpowers me. when it comes to standup, ive been told im one of the P4P hardest hitters in my gym but still cant lift weights.

AS I SAID IN THE POST BEFORE!!!!!!!!!
the begginers should'nt be worried about tapping anybody
just focus on learning the basics
if people are not tapping you left and right you probably need to change schools

Yea you haven't been training long enough to worry about this stuff yet, you'll get better all it takes is time.

Also some people do naturally get things quicker than others, don't worry about it - we can't all be BJ Penn afterall.

Also everyone goes though periods of feeling that they're no good or arn't progressing well. I know I do, but the only way to make progress is to stick in there.

I suck too (hence my SN). Most times I just feel like I'm floundering on the mat. The thing that struck me the most was the "good nights/bad nights" statement. Most times I have a bad night, but every once in a while, I'll pull something off that will turn it into a good night.

Hey, if we had a "Best of the Worse" tourney, you think someone would come in and sandbag??

Everyone goes throught he feelings of doubt, or not being good enough... The difference is.. a pussy will feel that and just accept that he isnt good enough and give up.. a real man accepts it, and does everything he can to change that. KEEP FUCKING TRAINING!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back