Does anyone else think the Cerrone matchup with Tony is the worst of all options available?

LoadedZeus

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I just dont see the point of this fight... Sure cerrone beat Iaquinta, but hes recently just got back in stride. Based on all hes done for the company, he should fighting conor and tony should be fighting gaethje with conor matched up, that fight would sell like crazy.

If not, then it would make sense to have Tony vs Conor then have Cerrone vs Gaethje for the number one spot, makes it a much more interesting matchup with both guys duking it out trying to proving who belongs with the division top 2 or 3 elite.

Instead, we got Tony vs Cerrone. I just dont get it, im super happy Tony is back but this seems like a step backwards. Cerrone just doesn't seem like an exciting matchup the same way Gaethje, Conor, or Khabib are, Tony is a favorite for sure. What do you guys think? Its gonna be a fun matchup but would much rather see Tony fight any of the other guys mentioned, just a bit upset. If he loses somehow, then its easy for them to push him to the bottom and if conor gets matched up against anybody else, he jumps in front of tony for title since tony only beat cerrone lol. Obviously conor is a pussy but tony and the fans deserve better matchmaking, Im not as excited as I thought I would be. Anyways war Baba Yaga, lets go

I think it's a perfect match up. Cerrone is chasing that title and Tony has the opportunity to build himself back up to title contention.

It will be interesting as Cerrone is a slow starter and Tony gets knocked down every fight.

Conor doesn't appear to currently be a available option since him and the UFC can't agree to terms for his next fight
Gaethje only just fought in March and probably isn't looking for a fight

I'm just happy 155 fights are happening
Tony X Donald is a banger imo and i'm actually looking forward to 238 now

I think Cerrone vs Ferguson is arguably the most exciting match up to make...

Well neither guy is fighting for the belt next (not unless they want to wait for a while at least). Cowboy really wanted the Conor fight but Conor didn't take it for whatever reason. Dustin, Conor and Tony are the only ones ahead of Cerrone rn in the rankings. Dustin is fighting Khabib and Conor is fucking around.

This fight actually makes the most sense with Conor out of the picture. The winner should be guaranteed a TS.

I don't care too much about the matchup. Just want to see Ferguson compete more frequently to solidify his place in the rankings.

I just dont see the point of this fight... Sure cerrone beat Iaquinta, but hes recently just got back in stride. Based on all hes done for the company, he should fighting conor and tony should be fighting gaethje with conor matched up, that fight would sell like crazy.

If not, then it would make sense to have Tony vs Conor then have Cerrone vs Gaethje for the number one spot, makes it a much more interesting matchup with both guys duking it out trying to proving who belongs with the division top 2 or 3 elite.

Instead, we got Tony vs Cerrone. I just dont get it, im super happy Tony is back but this seems like a step backwards. Cerrone just doesn't seem like an exciting matchup the same way Gaethje, Conor, or Khabib are, Tony is a favorite for sure. What do you guys think? Its gonna be a fun matchup but would much rather see Tony fight any of the other guys mentioned, just a bit upset. If he loses somehow, then its easy for them to push him to the bottom and if conor gets matched up against anybody else, he jumps in front of tony for title since tony only beat cerrone lol. Obviously conor is a pussy but tony and the fans deserve better matchmaking, Im not as excited as I thought I would be. Anyways war Baba Yaga, lets go
No problem with this fight it’s win win for both fighters and fans.

Cerrone is a bigger name than Gaethje and he just beat Mike Perry, Al and another guy. It's the next best fight for Tony outside of a title shot.

Its by far from the worse option. You have 2 contenders fighting . Why would we hate on that

You can't really fuck up any combination of Tony/Cowboy/Gaethje/Conor.

I don’t like the match up as Tony hasn’t fought a top 10 since 2017 and 2 weeks ago Cerrone wasn’t one either. Tony vs Justin is the match to make as Cerrone doesn’t have a chance.
On the good side this card was really week until they added this match.

Who needs a point? It’s a fight almost everybody is looking forward to

Let me put it this way, if there was a poll asking who should Tony fight next, between Conor, Gaethje, and Cerrone, I would bet that Cerrone would have been the least picked option. Thats the matchup we got. Its still awesome and I love Cerrone as well, but damn it would have been nice to see Tony fight one of the other two instead, Cerrone will have to do.

Obviously Khabib as well, every mma fan wants to see that for years now, probably one of the most anticipated matchups of all time but its gonna be a bit of a wait for that one

Should be an amazing fight. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cowboy won. He matches up well with Tony

I think it's a great fight that I'm excited to watch, but I do agree with TS. Where the fuck does this leave Gaethje? I think him vs Ferguson was arguably the most exciting matchup in the division, now who the hell is he supposed to fight? IF Conor fights again I think the Diaz trilogy is the only fight we'll see him in.

Should be an amazing fight. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cowboy won. He matches up well with Tony
Really? I feel like he's always struggled vs guys who pressure him. He is amazing at range but no so much if he gets backed against the cage.

I think it's a great fight that I'm excited to watch, but I do agree with TS. Where the fuck does this leave Gaethje? I think him vs Ferguson was arguably the most exciting matchup in the division, now who the hell is he supposed to fight? IF Conor fights again I think the Diaz trilogy is the only fight we'll see him in.
Gaethje vs Pettis

Are you kidding me? I can’t fucking wait for this. Cowboy is one of the greatest warriors in the history of the sport. And so is Tony. Let them bang.

In terms of Conor And this is coming from a fan of his. I just don’t think he has that fighters mentality anymore. He used to be so active, and would take on anybody. Now it is all about the money, the media coverage, whatever. He’s just not the same.

Back