Does blaydes’ win over aspinall ‘count’?

Definitely a loss. Blaydes looked bigger and more on point. A % of Sherbros is making it seem like Aspinall is some sort of GOAT but the dude is a sloppy striker and Jones probably makes it look easy.

Say what? It absolutely did. Blaydes got a #1 contender fight after. Tom fought Tybura.
Tom blew out his knee and was out for a year. Blaydes was already ranked 4 and Tom was ranked 6 when they fought. They certainly weren't going to treat it as a LOSS for Blaydes. Tom was ranked higher when he came back than he was before the Blaydes fight and fought Tybura to headline a UK card for his injury comeback. It was the same thing as if the Blaydes fight never happened.

Yeah it was just like that hellacious beating Hall put on Weidman <surebuddy>

It's on their records, so sure it counts.

I don't think it counts in the sense of it being a legit loss for Aspinall though.

It isn't like Blaydes did something to cause the injury. He didn't even check the kick that Aspinall injured his knee on.

You can say Blaydes won, and Aspinall lost. It's harder to say that Blaydes BEAT Aspinall, because he didn't. There was 15 seconds of even action and then Tom threw a kick that actually landed and hurt himself.

So I think it's fair to say that while Aspinall has a loss on his record in the UFC, he hasn't been beaten in the UFC.

Yeah it's a loss wtf
Jones has a loss too
And Sean lost to chito

A loss is a loss
Well I agree jones has lost but if you’re referring to the matt hamill fight it’s completely different, jones was beating the crap out of him and lost becuase of the angle his strike took.

And then o malley Vera 1, vera actually kicked o malley in the leg to cause the injury. Fluke win but completely legitimate and came as a result of chitos striking

In blaydes aspinall, aspinall threw a kick and his ligament tore. Maybe the flukiest fluke that ever fluked

It's on their records, so sure it counts.

I don't think it counts in the sense of it being a legit loss for Aspinall though.

It isn't like Blaydes did something to cause the injury. He didn't even check the kick that Aspinall injured his knee on.

You can say Blaydes won, and Aspinall lost. It's harder to say that Blaydes BEAT Aspinall, because he didn't. There was 15 seconds of even action and then Tom threw a kick that actually landed and hurt himself.

So I think it's fair to say that while Aspinall has a loss on his record in the UFC, he hasn't been beaten in the UFC.
Yeah that’s what I mean, obviously it goes down as a loss for aspinall and a win for blaydes but should we give blaydes the credit? If aspinsll goes on to become a long reigning heavyweight champion and we then look at his career, do we point to the blaydes fight and say “this loss takes away from his greatness a bit”?

Yeah that’s what I mean, obviously it goes down as a loss for aspinall and a win for blaydes but should we give blaydes the credit? If aspinsll goes on to become a long reigning heavyweight champion and we then look at his career, do we point to the blaydes fight and say “this loss takes away from his greatness a bit”?
Nah. I think if Aspinall goes on to have an all time great career at HW, beats Blaydss in the rematch and becomes a dominant champ, Blaydes' win will go down kind of like Hammill's over Jones is remembered. A legit loss for Jones, but nobody really thinks Hammill BEAT him, so you'll see people meme Blaydes a lot like they do with Hammill. People will bring up his 15 second loss to the "mighty Curtis Blaydes" and stuff as a joke.

Course, this all goes away if Blaydes has his number and wins the rematch.

I mean you hurt yourself during a fight it's simply part of the game. Unfortunate and robs us (and the fighters) of really showing their merits but it's a valid factor.

<WhatItIs>

It’s technically a win, but they didn’t even really fight and Blaydes didn’t to anything to cause the finish. It’s really closer to a NC (or even DQ) than an actual TKO win.

Yes.
Because having to be tough and durable is part of the sport.
If you fall apart easily it counts against you.
Blaydes body was ready :))) and Aspinals wasn't.
It didn't prove Blaydes is a better overall fighter but the loss counts in my book.

But he did do something to cause the injury. He had already landed a combo on an earlier entry by Tom and Bisping even says Tom needs to be careful because Blaydes is landing each time Tom enters. Blaydes wasn't checking the kicks because he was countering the kick with a combo. He had already landed it once. So when Tom threw his kick, Blaydes threw his counter and Tom tried to step back out of range and blew out his knee.

Legit victory for Blaydes.

Nah. I mean it "counts" as in it's a win on Blaydes record and a loss on Tom's and not one that could be overturned, but it didn't really change their ranking or matchmaking trajectory and nobody would argue it as a plus for Blaydes or a minus for Aspinall.

On a side note, I actually thought it was a KO at the time because it looked like Blaydes landed smashed him right on the chin, and didn't see until the replay that the punches didn't actually land. I still don't know that Blaydes didn't have anything at all to do with it, or if those punches made Tom pull back too fast or throw the kick awkwardly, but it doesn't really matter.
No. It absolutely changes the rankings. That was a retarded thing to say

Aspinall should have been banned for life like Derrick Minner. That whole fiasco was bullshit and everyone knows it. Yes UK scrub Aspinall lost. IF Aspinall isn't fighting Blaydes in Manchester. I really could care less what he does next.

Idk, the exchange they had before it ended it looked like Curtis was landing. It's honestly hard to say, I'd have to watch it again.
He was because Aspinall went full retard throwing weak and quick combos right in front of Blaydes, all blaydes had to do was stretch his arm and fist :D

No. It absolutely changes the rankings. That was a retarded thing to say
Oh yeah, Blaydes jumped all the way from #4 to #4 for his next fight, and Tom fell way down the rankings from #6 to #5 for his next fight and was interim champ 4 months after coming back from his injury.

Back