Does blaydes’ win over aspinall ‘count’?

I've counted. Blaydes threw 9 strikes and I don't know if punching the side of someone's chest counts as landing, but if something like that does, then he's barely got 4.
I counted 3 "landing" myself too, but the official stats say 4 of 10 so I used those to cover my bases and to steelman the "Blaydes was winning" argument.

It’s a win, but shouldn’t really garner any political or ranking capital, unless it happens late and we got to see a few rounds of fighting. Early injuries are frustrating. Gamrot vs Fiz comes to mind. It’s even more annoying when the “winning” fighter acts entitled about it and starts calling for a TS or #1 contender fight. Of course, I may think differently if I was the guy in the cage and I showed up but my opponent couldn’t continue. I’d say that a NC would be appropriate is it’s proven that the injury is legit (torn ACL, MCL, etc). Also understand that if a guy goes into a fight with a known injury, then that’s on him. It’s hard to prove something like that, though.

Did he get paid ? If he got paid it counts.
I could honestly see the ufc trying to withhold a fighters win bonus claiming the fight didn’t really “happen” so you didn’t really “win”

The clear decision is, Blaydes landed more meaningful strikes. You don't think a blow landing on a bodypart counts, I do. Is it as effective as a flush land? No. I count it, you don't. Blaydes has more activity, albeit with less accuracy.

Clearly, Blaydes was winning the fight before the injury.
The 2 punches to the chest, a partially checked leg kick and a jab DO count as strikes, but then you'd have to choose to ignore Tom's knee landing into Curtis's rib cage and unchecked low kicks.

I'm sorry, I must have gone off the implication that using the word "winning" implied some kind of success. Which wasn't happening, clearly. So you don't actually believe the action up to that point merited anything except points then? Gotcha. I just thought that someone trying to say "up on the scorecards" after 15 seconds would be a pretty ridiculous statement to make, when the action itself was inconsequential, but I'm proven wrong by someone actually thinking that's a point worth making.

Back