Does Khabib's openly expressing his Muslim faith bother you/diminish his marketability?

Now I should preface by saying I am a Muslim myself, but very liberal and don't follow much of its rules besides no pork or drinking, but I'm hardly devout or even in the middle.

That being said, I am also not blind to the current political/social climate and I do wonder if someone like Khabib hurts his marketability and potential star power by being so openly devout. The guys interviews are full of Islamic phrases and he famously takes Ramadan off. (which I understand, ramadan is hard on the body). In your opinion, does him being a Muslim make him less likeable in your view? If you don't like Khabib, is him being a devout Muslim the reason why or one of the reasons why?

Not looking to flame, start a race war, or anything like that, just genuinely curious how people view an openly Muslim UFC champ.

Thanks
what exactly makes you a muslim if you arent following any rules beside not eating pork and drinking alkohol??

i never understood this stupid mentality, religion is not something thats in your blood. its a ideology and a system with strict and defined guidelines to live. i bet my ass that 99% of so called muslims havent even read the quran let alone living after its rules.. idiocracy.

It gives an aura(not an invincible aura) about him, a vibe that pairs well with who he is as a fighter and his region.

It's definitey sellable.
Like a caricature of his self? lol, cool gimic he has then, if he would make some vids of him and his brothers torturing Lobov it would help sell his aura.... Wait...

It’s difficult to gauge how religion might affect fans. Some may root against Khabib because they are anti-Muslim, but they wouldn’t likely have the balls to give the reason. And he may get just as much support from Muslim fans.

I’m not Muslim, and Khabib’s religious expression doesn’t bother me. He seems to live his life true to his faith, in contrast to some outwardly religious fighters whose actions are completely opposite to their supposed beliefs.

Not sure how being a member of the worlds largest and widespread religion would hurt marketability.

i'm against what's happening in the west but i can see that khabib isn't a bad one he just wants to be the best at mma

I'm more neutral toward Khabib, not a hater or a fan. His biggest problem is not religion, its decisions.

He's probably not as popular in Russia as people think because of this

If there is one place religion has no place... it's in the octagon, Joe.

It certainly doesn't help him.

As far as I am concerned he is a moderate so it's perfectly fine.

Talking about God certainly isn t a plus in my book, though. Keep your faith private and STFU.

Now I should preface by saying I am a Muslim myself, but very liberal and don't follow much of its rules besides no pork or drinking, but I'm hardly devout or even in the middle.

That being said, I am also not blind to the current political/social climate and I do wonder if someone like Khabib hurts his marketability and potential star power by being so openly devout. The guys interviews are full of Islamic phrases and he famously takes Ramadan off. (which I understand, ramadan is hard on the body). In your opinion, does him being a Muslim make him less likeable in your view? If you don't like Khabib, is him being a devout Muslim the reason why or one of the reasons why?

Not looking to flame, start a race war, or anything like that, just genuinely curious how people view an openly Muslim UFC champ.

Thanks

I've thought the same thing, wondering if it doesn't hurt him.

I think what's going on is he is seen more as a "Russian" than a "Muslim". If you know what I mean you know what I mean. People go to Ivan Drago first, not Islam, so when they get to Islam, if they are afraid of it, it just adds to the mystique of him being this foreign smesh monster. If he were from say, Morocco and said the things he says about his faith, it would be different. That's how I see his image in America anyway.

If he believes that Allah created the world, then it doesn't bother me, I just think he's wrong. If he were preaching and praising the shit about Islam that I don't like, then I would have a problem with it, the same I would with any other religion.

It certainly doesn't help him.

As far as I am concerned he is a moderate so it's perfectly fine.

Talking about God certainly isn t a plus in my book, though. Keep your faith private and STFU.

Why should someone keep their faith private so they don't offend some snowflake like you ?

Just the 3 months he has to take off. He is bot exactly an active fighter sadly.

Honestly, I think people don't mind because they don't know. If Khabib were brown, people might dislike him for his faith but most of the dopes that follow this sport just think he's some Russian dude. If they don't like him it's just because he's not murrican not because they know that he's a Muslim.

I think it's pretty funny because it bothers people, but they can't openly complain since they'd have to complain about the numerous vocal Christian fighters too.

Just summarises the hypocrisy surrounding religion in general

Him being muslim is the last thing that comes into my mind when I watch him fight

I don’t like the religion but it doesn’t really bother me that he practices it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back