Does Lawler even get out of the choke?

MikalP

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Huge Lawler fan, also want Askren to do well. Pretty neutral view.

I feel like the stoppage was obviously wrong in hindsight, but the optics looked like he was out in the moment with his arm dropping limp like that.

But does Askren actually fuck that up even if it isn't stopped? Lawler wasn't really making any effort to improve position and Askren couldn't have really lost that imo. Was it only a matter of time anyway?

exactly.

over a minute left.

and hopefully this puts an end to the"askren looked for a way out against Santos...derr!" BS.

I think it was more of a facelock than a choke.

You don't end a fight because one guy is holding the other guy's head. So, they could have stayed in that position until the end of the round.

A bulldog for another minute...

No way Lawler was getting out of it, askren had him up against the fence and knows exactly how to control fighters

It's not inconceivable that Lawler would have ended up tapping

Impossible...

tumblr_lxumsqzv9X1qfoy7fo1_500.gif

It’s a technical submission (technical stoppage whatever). No one is saying Lawler tapped

Renzo Gracie never tapped to Sakuraba either when his elbow was dangling but no one batted an eye about that ref stoppage

It was a crank and Askren had it on good and he had found his rhythm leading up to it.

It's a shame that we didn't get to find out. Lawler got robbed but Askren got robbed too.

I thought he was out when his hand hit the ground but he popped back up as soon as he broke them up so I’m second guessing. Never been a fan of herb dean but I really can’t disagree with him here. Unfortunate stoppage

Might not be the worst outcome of that for Robbie to lose by bullshit stoppage. His old coach and mentor Miletich got his neck fucked up and needed surgery when it happened to him against Carlos Newton.

He loses a fight, bu5 a lot of people don't see it that way. And he (assumingly/hopefully) isn't injured.

No.

And he knew it so he pretended to go limb

Why would you get out of a choke that is on your chin?

You are literally trained to sit in chokes that aren't super deep. Your opponent burns their arms out

he couldn't do much but Askren can't squeeze forever either. I think he would have waited him out

You don't end a fight because one guy is holding the other guy's head. So, they could have stayed in that position until the end of the round.

I think TS is suggesting that that would be easier said than done.

Back