Does reverse pec deck count as a pull?

mr.sandman

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Im trying to keep 1 to 1 ratio for pushes and pulls because its supposed to be good for shoulder health. But in reality during some periods of time I want to hit chest and shoulders with separete exercises (ohp / bench) but for upper back only do pullups. This made me think. Does reverse peck deck count as a pull? In reality i dont use the pec deck machine but i have a super high quality chest expander with 7 10kg springs and i use that for the pull apart movement. But the movement pattern is basically same. This is a staple in my training routine.

So what you think guys. Does this count as a pull and i can do bench press - pullups - ohp - reverse pec deck without feeling bad?

I know pull-apart even says "pull" in the name but i never thought of it as a pull like rows or pullups. I mean if reverse peck deck is a pull, are lateral raises a push? :'D

Last edited:
If it’s engaging the back as a primary mover it’s a pull. Targeting the chest it’s a push.

For example a laterial raise is a push for targeting the mid delt. A bent over fly is a pull for targeting the rear delt / upper back despite being the same physical movement.

It’s about the muscle group more than the actual motion.

Since its smaller muscle group isolation I don’t think an antagonistic pull is overly important compared to a compound lift. If you’re getting face pulls, rear delt flyes and other stuff in you should be good so maybe add them (for prehab).

Last edited:
Im trying to keep 1 to 1 ratio for pushes and pulls because its supposed to be good for shoulder health. But in reality during some periods of time I want to hit chest and shoulders with separete exercises (ohp / bench) but for upper back only do pullups. This made me think. Does reverse peck deck count as a pull? In reality i dont use the pec deck machine but i have a super high quality chest expander with 7 10kg springs and i use that for the pull apart movement. But the movement pattern is basically same. This is a staple in my training routine.

So what you think guys. Does this count as a pull and i can do bench press - pullups - ohp - reverse pec deck without feeling bad?
Great exercise. Can be done better on a bench with dumbbells. Rear delt work is majorly overlooked. Can be on any day you want really. Chest shoulder back

If it’s engaging the back as a primary mover it’s a pull. Targeting the chest it’s a push.

For example a laterial raise is a push for targeting the mid delt. A bent over fly is a pull for targeting the rear delt / upper back despite being the same physical movement.

It’s about the muscle group more than the actual motion.

Since its smaller muscle group isolation I don’t think an antagonistic pull is overly important compared to a compound lift. If you’re getting face pulls, rear delt flyes and other stuff in you should be good so maybe add them (for prehab).
I must correct you. I did some research and this is what i found out: "A lateral raise is an exercise that involves pulling a weight vertically up." So a lateral raise is tehnically a pull also. Kinda logical once you think about it.

I must correct you. I did some research and this is what i found out: "A lateral raise is an exercise that involves pulling a weight vertically up." So a lateral raise is tehnically a pull also. Kinda logical once you think about it.
Technically every muscle pulls ... doesn't really matter what word is used.
IMO reverse pec deck is a better balancing exercise for shoulder health than pullups (for your pressing)

Pretty sure I said the motion is a pull but the target muscle are push muscles. I don’t use reverse pec deck so I just assume it’s to stretch the chest primarily like the eccentric portion of db pec flyes, the antagonistic movement to this would be bent over flyes despite both using a pull motion.

Don’t just search for confirmation biases to get the answer you want. Look at muscle groups and what they primarily do. Comprehend why you’re adding a pull to a push it’s not just the motion. Some exercises can be more neutral but technical only engaging the rear delt is pull and mid-front delt / chest is a push.

I gave you example of a lat raise and rear delt fly being pulls but the muscles being pull and push making them different despite being the same. Research more. A pull should technically be antagonistic muscle in the same movement pattern if balance is what you want.

When I say a push can be more neutral for example if I do OHP in a trap bar I feel my mid and rear delts getting more work than with a barbell or log press (so it doesn’t feel as front delt upper chest heavy). So I specifically use that on my second press day.

IMG_2252.jpeg
IMG_2253.jpeg

Last edited:
@mr.sandman

If shoulder health is a high priority, and it should be, IMO you should consider moving that ratio towards more back work than chest. Like double or close to it, your upper back is a complicated area. It is crucial that everything is working correctly to set the shoulder up properly.
That extra back time doesn't have to be super intense, but even pre-hab type exercises take time and reps.

@mr.sandman

If shoulder health is a high priority, and it should be, IMO you should consider moving that ratio towards more back work than chest. Like double or close to it, your upper back is a complicated area. It is crucial that everything is working correctly to set the shoulder up properly.
That extra back time doesn't have to be super intense, but even pre-hab type exercises take time and reps.
That’s the key thing really with prehab upper back work low intensity. Ideally with face-pulls and rear delt flyes it’s more about keeping tension on the muscles throughout the lift and accumulating volume. Lifters often try to load them up and end up struggling to keep the rear delt engaged and they turn it into a front delt exercise.

I’ll go heavy only with sled face-pulls or certain explosive rowing variations where I’m just doing the concentric portion.

Vote for mace swings on chest and back day.

That’s the key thing really with prehab upper back work low intensity. Ideally with face-pulls and rear delt flyes it’s more about keeping tension on the muscles throughout the lift and accumulating volume. Lifters often try to load them up and end up struggling to keep the rear delt engaged and they turn it into a front delt exercise.

I’ll go heavy only with sled face-pulls or certain explosive rowing variations where I’m just doing the concentric portion.
I have the robert baraban chest expander and its worth every penny in my humble opinion. Handmade in germany from high quality materials.i do the pull-apart as a staple in my weekly routine and the rear felts have come up nicely with a year since i got the thing. Its the only thing i do for rear delts specifically. You can use it for tons of exercises but imo its worth it for just the pull apart movement. Better posture, less shoulder pain and more round 3d looking delts all the benefits of good rear delt work

Back