Does Roger prove that 'old school BJJ' is still as effective as 'modern BJJ'?

Dana_is_your_GOD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Assuming you are very proficient at the old school game, and at least understand the modern game.

Example: You play old school BJJ, but you still counter modern techs.

I'm not sure about "prove". As usual, it depends on the practitioner. I'd like to think so. I'm old school, but I can't ignore de la riva, berimbolo, and leg drags.

Not really
Roger just proved he is just that damn good

There aren't guys in the black belt level who can do the things Roger has done with basic techniques.

Modern versions of old school things still work. Is the knee in closed guard Roger used considered old school? I haven't seen anyone other the Roger use it (saw caio and braulio and Roger teach it. Braulio trains with Roger and caio is a huge fan and tries to steal his techniques)

Yeah, I think so. It is why I mostly believe that more classical practitioners will be more likely to win against the new leg lock meta practitioners. Not that this meta is bad, but in different rules they will lose by points if they decide to bait you and give up position- but nothing ever comes of it.

I think the whole thing is a non-issue in that "old school" stuff isn't really doubted for being effective. Roger is just better at what he does than most are at what they do, and Roger just happens to stick to more fundamental techniques.

Roger knows every single position in bjj, including berimbolo and 50/50, that's why he knows how to defend them.

How many Roger Gracies in the world are there?

man didn't think he would handle buchecha that quickly

What's hilarious about that move roger used is that Buchecha showed it to me in 2011 and used it to beat Dan Moreas the same year. I don't think this is a win for "old school" jiu jitsu. Buchecha has kind of simplified his game. 2011-2013 Buchecha seemed to be all into modern bjj. From what I hear he doesn't train much ,just wrestles and crossfit style workouts until worlds comes around. I've always heard this ,but seeing his match with Rocha proved it. He would hulk out into these horrid positions. I sorta knew Roger might take adv of that nonsense.

What's hilarious about that move roger used is that Buchecha showed it to me in 2011 and used it to beat Dan Moreas the same year. I don't think this is a win for "old school" jiu jitsu. Buchecha has kind of simplified his game. 2011-2013 Buchecha seemed to be all into modern bjj. From what I hear he doesn't train much ,just wrestles and crossfit style workouts until worlds comes around. I've always heard this ,but seeing his match with Rocha proved it. He would hulk out into these horrid positions. I sorta knew Roger might take adv of that nonsense.

I refuse to believe he doesn't train.

The grip Buchecha took while standing wasn't so good...

The grip Buchecha took while standing wasn't so good...

The whole sequence to the submission was set up with the sleeve grip Roger secured on the feet. The entire following minute of groundwork was predicated on that control.

In general, one instance of something doesn't prove anything. It shows that Roger's style can beat Buchecha's style, which is not the same as saying that it's as effective (and not the same as saying that it's less effective either).

At the end of the day, people have different ideas of what old school BJJ consists of. The fact of the matter is that BJJ, since its inception as a relatively young martial art, is a hybrid grappling style. If anything has defined BJJ over the years, it is constant evolution. The BJJ that the US was first exposed to in 1993 was already different from what Carlos Gracie learned from Maeda, because Rolls started cross training with wrestlers and sambists in the 70's. Was Royce Gracie's style not old school traditional BJJ? Then by 2000, watch the Mundials and see how the competition game had evolved in just 7 years. Compare that to 2010, when Roger last won the worlds. The game was even more different. And 7 years later it is even more different. Which category is old school? Which one does Roger fit into?

I think it definitively proves that it *can be* as effective. Old school BJJ can work today at the highest level, there's no doubt.

Whether it is as effective depends on the specific practitioners.

Back