Does Sambo always beat BJJ?

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mean look at Khabib. He destroyed two very skilled grapplers at their own game in Thiago Tavares and Rafael Dos Anjos. In the early days of MMA, Fedor raped BJJ God Nogueira. Only example of BJJ pulling through I can think of is Werdum triangling Fedor, and that was because he slipped up I think.
Thoughts?

The sample size is pretty small as not many Sambo guys have gone to MMA, but I'd say not. Guy Mezger lost to Arona and Lil Nog, Rustam Khabilov lost to Bendo via RNC. Aleks Emilianenko lost to Werdum, as did Fedor (you can't compare the records and then make excuses for losses). Sambo is a really good art for throwing people, and combat Sambo especially produces guys who are good at linking striking to clinch grappling and TDs, but BJJ guys still have an edge in position and subs on the mat. I'm really looking forward to RDA - Khabib 2 (assuming it happens) as RDA has improved a lot since the first fight and looks like an absolute killer these days.

But remember: at the the end of the day it's the athlete, not the style. The days of style vs. style are long gone. I don't think BJJ beats wrestling because Werdum choked Cain any more than I think wrestling beats boxing because Cain beat JDS. It's a question of who can execute their game plan successfully, and while styles do make fights that's personal style, not whatever you have a black belt or an Olympic medal or MMS in.

The sample size is pretty small as not many Sambo guys have gone to MMA, but I'd say not. Guy Mezger lost to Arona and Lil Nog, Rustam Khabilov lost to Bendo via RNC. Aleks Emilianenko lost to Werdum, as did Fedor (you can't compare the records and then make excuses for losses). Sambo is a really good art for throwing people, and combat Sambo especially produces guys who are good at linking striking to clinch grappling and TDs, but BJJ guys still have an edge in position and subs on the mat. I'm really looking forward to RDA - Khabib 2 (assuming it happens) as RDA has improved a lot since the first fight and looks like an absolute killer these days.

But remember: at the the end of the day it's the athlete, not the style. The days of style vs. style are long gone. I don't think BJJ beats wrestling because Werdum choked Cain any more than I think wrestling beats boxing because Cain beat JDS. It's a question of who can execute their game plan successfully, and while styles do make fights that's personal style, not whatever you have a black belt or an Olympic medal or MMS in.
Good points, agree completely.
Can't wait for Dos Anjos - Nurmagomedov 2 as well, hopefully Dos Anjos pulls it off, really liking his as a champ.

I mean look at Khabib. He destroyed two very skilled grapplers at their own game in Thiago Tavares and Rafael Dos Anjos. In the early days of MMA, Fedor raped BJJ God Nogueira. Only example of BJJ pulling through I can think of is Werdum triangling Fedor, and that was because he slipped up I think.
Thoughts?
Werdum's ground game is just that good. Sambo does seem more custom fit for MMA than BJJ though.

Only example of BJJ pulling through I can think of is Werdum triangling Fedor, and that was because he slipped up I think.
Thoughts?

"slipped up"? as in slipped right into the triangle?

So, we have Fedor, Pride champ who never fought in the UFC. Even still, I believe Fedor is one of the GOAT, but what other sambo fighters have been UFC champs? And how many BJJ fighters have been UFC champs? I say no, sambo does not "always best" bjj.

Normagomedov isn't a pure sambo athlet. He has a strong wrestling (freestyle) background.

Coachable always beats uncoachable.
Needs to win always beats winning would be nice.
Healthy always beats deathly ill.
Rock always beats scissors.

This time in my neighborhood I saw a gentleman standing on the corner by the pizza place I live near. I saw him there on two consecutive days, and from that point on I assumed I would see him every single day.

TS needs to stick to posting in the heavies.

Last edited:

renzo-taktarov-495x400.jpg

Can we merge this with one of the threads asking if 10p is legit, or if Jiu Jitsu is "basically just judo"

Fedora got a royal ass beaten on the ground by big foot, or was that religious fedor? He also got dominated by arona long before, and got robbed by rings judges (oh sorry the socoring in rings was different, he won by having a lame ankle lock attempt on arona ) if you consider fedor got his ass whoped more times by Bjj guys that not, that was his biggest problem dude had a good armbar from guard, who he always managed to pulled that vs guys with no so much Stellar ground games, he was a beast but his ground game was very rudimentary to say the best.

Maia also raped another undefeated sambo dude on his came back.

Sambo transitioning to mma solely inthink if you compare it to pure Bjj translate much better well combat sambo, thing Bjj is just a base and fighters now days all do Mma from young even if their base is Bjj, Bjj will always be the king on the mat that's just because people train more of the time mat work over other other disciplines that train more time in other areas.

I believe sambo dudes as most Russians are some of the toughest sob around, and kahbib, mother fucker was wrestling bears literally when he was 8, he ain't human.

Last edited:
Rickson losing in a Sambo match wasn't even mentioned?

I'm greatly disappointed.

Fedora got a royal ass beaten on the ground by big foot, or was that religious fedor? He also got dominated by arona long before, and got robbed by rings judges (oh sorry the socoring in rings was different, he won by having a lame ankle lock attempt on arona ) if you consider fedor got his ass whoped more times by Bjj guys that not, that was his biggest problem dude had a good armbar from guard, who he always managed to pulled that vs guys with no so much Stellar ground games, he was a beast but his ground game was very rudimentary to say the best.

Maia also raped another undefeated sambo dude on his came back.

Sambo transitioning to mma solely inthink if you compare it to pure Bjj translate much better well combat sambo, thing Bjj is just a base and fighters now days all do Mma from young even if their base is Bjj, Bjj will always be the king on the mat that's just because people train more of the time mat work over other other disciplines that train more time in other areas.

I believe sambo dudes as most Russians are some of the toughest sob around, and kahbib, mother fucker was wrestling bears literally when he was 8, he ain't human.

So Fedor got his ass handed to him by Werdum and Bigfoot. I'm willing to give you the Arona fight also.
On the other hand he holds victories over Nogueira(2x), Sobral, Rizzo, Monson, Lindland (only counting fighters with at least black belt in BJJ)
So, no he didn't get his ass whooped more often than not. Not even close.

Back