Does the south have any redeeming qualities?

Depends where in the south you're talking about. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and all of Louisiana except for New Orleans could be wiped off the map and nothing of value would be lost, but there are a lot of other areas of the south that I love. Asheville NC is one of my favorite cities in the US, and the western NC/eastern TN area in general is absolutely gorgeous. I'm also a bit partial to Charleston SC, most of Georgia, and the Chesapeake Bay area (although, that area is just as much Northern as it is Southern IMO).

What kind of question is that?

Friendlier people, better weather, great food, their accents can be good or bad (no real in-between), they do fairly well now in the realm of hip hop music, great cost of living, overall laid back demeanor.

As always I yield these questions to people from NY and LA

Native New Yorker and former Texan resident. I'm speaking from experience, not Hollywood stereotypes.

the south has a vibrant and thriving opioid subculture..

We got big booty bitches like Beyonce.

E9KUK7EVkAs3ttJ.jpg

They scared, man @Smokes ... They scared... You KNOW they scared..

Last edited:
Most of the fattest people in the nation come from there. They love their Fried foods, bbq, beer etc. Also stop by Atlanta Airport one day if you're bored.
Ever fly Atlanta to Vegas on a Friday night? It's always entertaining to put it mildly.

SEC Football
Pretty women with Southern accents
Country Music
Southern Hospitality

I've lived a few places, from GA originally. I've been trying to get something set up to head back to that part of the country for awhile. People can make fun, but it has no impact on the good things I've always enjoyed about being there.

After travelling the world in the USAF, my wife and I decided to come back here. Since her family lives in Germany, it's a direct flight back to the in-laws from Atlanta.

The people are nice and you'll always hear a "Ma'am or Sir" when you're speaking to someone. I was at a eye appointment and a lady was pushing a wheelchair towards a door. I sprang up and held the door open. At first she literally jumped back and then looked shocked.

She said "I'm from up North and people don't do that up there." I said "Ma'am it's how we're raised down here and it's pretty much the standard." She had a look of awe on her face as she passed by.

It's not perfect by any means, but I don't think I could live anywhere else except Japan or Germany.

Where do you live chumlee
It seems to me that the American South doesn't have any redeeming qualities besides good food.

Are there any other good things about it?

After travelling the world in the USAF, my wife and I decided to come back here. Since her family lives in Germany, it's a direct flight back to the in-laws from Atlanta.

The people are nice and you'll always hear a "Ma'am or Sir" when you're speaking to someone. I was at a eye appointment and a lady was pushing a wheelchair towards a door. I sprang up and held the door open. At first she literally jumped back and then looked shocked.

She said "I'm from up North and people don't do that up there." I said "Ma'am it's how we're raised down here and it's pretty much the standard." She had a look of awe on her face as she passed by.

It's not perfect by any means, but I don't think I could live anywhere else except Japan or Germany.
This... its the little things

I love it. And agreed. I've lived in 3 states not in the south and three countries other than the US and that región is still my preferred location. I have been living in countries many might not want to live in (many do), but I have enjoyed them. They aren't home though.

The biscuits, I love the biscuits.
Speaking from Britain I obviously love biscuits, but I don't think it's the same thing, because my hob nob would never go with gravy. Actually maybe I don't know what you mean by gravy either.

I should research this.

It seems to me that the American South doesn't have any redeeming qualities besides good food.

Are there any other good things about it?
I lived in sort of the "borderline" South for about 10 years altogether. First in Northern Virginia and then in South Florida. I've never lived anywhere like Alabama or Mississippi or Arkansas. My mother was born and raised in South Carolina, but I've never spent much time there, just drove through. I'd say there are redeeming qualities everywhere. I still miss So Flo to a certain extent, but there are more opportunities elsewhere educationally, financially, etc. But being able to go to the beach and swim in January was nice. :)

Back