Media Dominick Cruz: Henry Cejudo is calling out higher-ranked fighters after pulling from the Chito fight

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

“I would say everything made sense about that except that Henry said, ‘Yeah, but I’d like Petr Yan or so and so after,'” Cruz said on The Schaub Show. “He had that whole statement about this and that, but then you give us two opponents that are ranked higher than Vera, which tells me that you didn’t want somebody ranked where Vera was at.

“That’s where he tells his truth, is the thing. It’s like, ‘My shoulder hurts too much for Vera, but if we can get Aljamain Sterling or Petr Yan, my shoulder doesn’t hurt as bad. We can make this work. I can make this work.'”

Two-time UFC bantamweight champion Cruz has fought down the ladder on multiple occasions, defeating Casey Kenney and Munhoz back-to-back, before getting knocked out by Vera last August.

So Cruz says if he can fight lower-ranked opposition, then Cejudo should be able to, as well.

“The way I see Henry is, some fights are worth it for his shoulder and some aren’t,” Cruz said. “So how do you decide that? How do you decide who’s good enough for you and who isn’t? Well, it’s up to the UFC to make those choices. I got the same fight offer he did, and I took the Casey Kenney fight earlier than that, and then I took the Pedro Munhoz fight earlier than that – both on the undercards, by the way, not on a main card that they’re trying to put him on.

“Then I take the fight with Vera. Look, we can’t even get this guy to take one. He’s been out this whole time, he gets a title shot. And now then after that, after the title shot, they didn’t drop him to the bottom of the line.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...+RSS&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Cruz is a height bully ;)

9296a631d25a748b09c5940cc93f7174a1038f15.jpg

Cruz has definitely fought down in the rankings multiple times in order to truly earn his shot at the top. He didn’t even mention the time that, instead of acting like a prima donna and demanding to be right back in a title fight after a long layoff, he took the bout with Mizugaki.

Wasn't Cejudo supposed to fight Merab before he needed surgery anyways?

that was pretty ridiculous from henry , he talked about having to pull out against chito due to injury then started mentioning merab again out of nowhere

What’s next? Dudes getting title shot after being out of action for 3 years?

lv4q7ooi1c151.gif
Difference is dom was a champ who hadn’t lost his belt in the cage until Cody, and wasn’t able to get a rematch becuase of injuries, then took the fight on 2 weeks notice against cejudo when Aldo dropped out

I watched the whole video, and i agree with Dom. Henry isn't doing anything for the division and is just looking out for himself, which I also understand but it is extremely frustrating at times.

I dislike Cruz and want to say he's salty but the reality is he's calling out a rank squatter.
Cruz has the same name value of Cejudo if not more and after he lost his belt he fought Casey Kenney! Casey Kenney was a high risk low reward fight at the time too. Cejudo should be the guy fighting the Umar/Munhoz/Martinez ranked guys. Unless we want another LW situation (Funny that the rank squatters beat the up and comers though)

Difference is dom was a champ who hadn’t lost his belt in the cage until Cody, and wasn’t able to get a rematch becuase of injuries, then took the fight on 2 weeks notice against cejudo when Aldo dropped out
Plus, when Cruz vacated the title, he didn’t immediately fight for the belt when he came back; he took another high-risk-low-reward fight against Mizugaki. Dom is pretty much the only UFC champ to vacate the belt, then have to compete at least once prior to getting another title shot.

Some people may not like Cruz as a commentator, but the guy has integrity and respect for the sport.

Maybe they should rematch each other. Dom has bad knees and Cejudo has a bum shoulder.

I dont see a problem there.

And now then after that, after the title shot, they didn’t drop him to the bottom of the line. They're gonna give him a ranked opponent in the top 5. I had to fight a guy that wasn't even ranked on the undercard as a two-time champ on the prelims.

You can hear the resentment in Dom's voice there.

Henry acting really weird and is mos def rank squatting. Should stick with his youtube videos, because they are great. You are injured or you are not.

IDK, Dom despite being a champ had a spotty career with all the injuries - very inconsistent.
Cejudo is the only 2 division champ and gold medalist in MMA, and after 3 years out had a questionable lost Sterling - the man's earned the privilege of getting the good matches.

That and Dom is probably a little salty after Cejudo whooped em'.

Last edited:
"I wanna ask you what you think first"

Cruz is smart. He knew damn well as soon as he began answering the question Brendan was going to interrupt him with his own answer lmao.

Just like Bisping begging to fight Nick Diaz when he was the MW champ but when actual contenders like Jacare and Romero raised their hand he suddenly needed surgery.
Except bisping was an active fighter. Also jacare was more hype than anything from strikeforce i believe

Except bisping was an active fighter. Also jacare was more hype than anything from strikeforce i believe

nah Jacare was top of the line

but you can only be top of the line for so long before either the game starts passing you by or injuries and wear and tear catch up to you

Back