Elections Donald Trump opposes banning TikTok; to hurt Facebook and prevent Biden from getting a win

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
- Even though Trump moved to ban TikTok (when he was President), he opposes this ban.
- Reason: can't let Biden get a win. Must hurt Facebook

- Despite Trump's opposition to the TikTok ban, Republicans joined Dems (in the House) to approve (2/3rd in favor) the Bill ordering Byte Dance (TikTok's parent company) to sell TikTok or face being banned in the US.

- Die hard Trump supporters like Stefanik and Boebert did not agree with Trump against banning TikTok. But other Trump supporters like Gaetz, MTG and Nancy Mace did agree with Trump and opposed the ban.

--

Here’s a rarity for House Republicans — they just bucked Donald Trump.

Weeks after walking away from a bipartisan border deal at the former president’s behest, House Republican leaders on Wednesday rammed through a bill that could eventually ban TikTok over Trump’s objections.

Republicans who rejected Trump’s warnings on Wednesday included some of his staunchest supporters. Reps. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) and Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) were among the 197 Republicans who voted in favor of the bill — which easily cleared the two-thirds vote threshold it needed to pass the lower chamber.

Trump had warned Republicans against approving the bill that would force Beijing-based ByteDance to divest TikTok within six months or face a ban on the app in the U.S. While Trump believes TikTok is a national security threat, he also said barring it would empower Facebook, which he considers “an enemy of the people.”

The stance marked a reversal for Trump, who had issued an executive order when he was president attempting to ban TikTok. And it came as the prominent Club for Growth and a former senior Trump senior adviser, Kellyanne Conway, were on Capitol Hill advocating for the app.

But unlike with the border bill — which Trump actively pushed Republicans to walk away from to deny rival President Joe Biden an election-year win — the former president did not directly pressure lawmakers to vote against the TikTok legislation, a person close to Trump and granted anonymity to speak freely said. Trump’s campaign declined comment.

--

Biden said he will sign the Bill if Congress passes it. I thought Pres Biden was supposed to be in China's pocket...

Last edited:
Trump meets with a billionaire TikTok investor who is expected to make a large donation and then immediately does a 180 on forcing a sale. I'm sure it's just a coincidence though.

Totally not related...

Trump meets with a billionaire TikTok investor who is expected to make a large donation and then immediately does a 180 on forcing a sale. I'm sure it's just a coincidence though.

Swamp'ist of the Swamp'ist!

It doesn't ban tik tok. If you're going to ban it then ban it, and ban the other social media apps while you're at it.

Either make a bill that criminalizes abuse of user data or transfer to any foreign country, or STFU. Whoa, look out, you force the sale of a shitty app to some other billionaire who then sells the data to China anyway just like airbnb and Facebook already do.

It doesn't ban tik tok. If you're going to ban it then ban it, and ban the other social media apps while you're at it.

Either make a bill that criminalizes abuse of user data or transfer to any foreign country, or STFU. Whoa, look out, you force the sale of a shitty app to some other billionaire who then sells the data to China anyway just like airbnb and Facebook already do.
Virtually every news article, if not all, use the word "ban" to describe this legislation.

It is a ban if the US gov. stops TikTok from opertaing in US - in US app stores and being hosted by Web hosting services in the US.

Money is all its about and fame. Akina walking around with a pocketbook that costs more then a Mercedes these are the connected people with regular people?

All though as much as I can't stand Tic Toc and the majority of people that post on there it shouldn't be "Banned" which isn't what people are calling for but not controlled by Chyna.....

Good points... but we are all in agreement that we should do something with it eh?

All though as much as I can't stand Tic Toc and the majority of people that post on there it shouldn't be "Banned" which isn't what people are calling for but not controlled by Chyna.....
I was ok with banning initially but overall you guys are correct that there needs to be something done though I have no idea about IT nor how it can be restricted/policed.

Good points... but we are all in agreement that we should do something with it eh?
Yeah, but I think everybody also knows that they never will do anything about it. Anybody could write a bill that either actually makes it illegal to sell user data, or at least requires every user be provided a full list of who it's being sold to and a split of the revenue from the sale. They don't, because facebook lobbyists are the ones writing the bills, so we get this slop where facebook and google can still do whatever the hell they want, throttle or amplify information, sell your data all over hell and it's none of your damn business who buys it and you get nothing, but hey, maybe China will have to jump through a few hoops for a few months and create a couple shell companies or intermediary partnerships to pretend to sell the company to a US oligarch, then right back to jacking your data.

Like who's falling for this shit and thought they would actually introduce a bill that was looking out for people and not just their donors?

Last edited:
Yeah, but I think everybody also knows that they never will do anything about it. Anybody could write a bill that either actually makes it illegal to sell user data, or at least requires every user be provided a full list of who it's being sold to and a split of the revenue from the sale. They don't, because facebook lobbyists are the ones writing the bills, so we get this slop where facebook and google can still do whatever the hell they want, throttle or amplify information, sell your data all over hell and it's none of your damn business who buys it and you get nothing, but hey, maybe China will have to jump through a few hoops for a few months and create a couple shell companies or intermediary partnerships to pretend to sell the company to a US oligarch, then right back to jacking your data.
I would say that the issue is foreign entities like China collect this data for a purpose. China is sketchy. I'd be ok across the board though.

I would say that the issue is foreign entities like China collect this data for a purpose. China is sketchy. I'd be ok across the board though.

Like who's falling for this shit and thought they would actually introduce a bill that was looking out for people and not just their donors?
I agree with you for once. Here's the thing, collecting user data and selling it is these companies primary business model. It's how everyone gets to use them for "free". You will not have any success convincing the general public that it's in their best interests to suddenly have to pay fees to access these services (or have them go out of business) when they don't have to pay now. So any politician that tried to ban personal data collection entirely is going to get an earful from heavy social media users. I don't think it takes lobbyists--though they no doubt exist--to prevent that from happening. Too bad though.

What makes Mark Zuckerberg more trustworthy than China? I don't want that hunk of shit selling my data either. Frankly, I'd sooner give it to China who has no authority over me over captain autism throwing down $400 million to purchase elections and handing everybody's shit over to US spy agencies that you can't get away from. I don't want any of them to have it, but at least tell me who has it and share the revenue if you do sell it.

I agree with you for once. Here's the thing, collecting user data and selling it is these companies primary business model. It's how everyone gets to use them for "free". You will not have any success convincing the general public that it's in their best interests to suddenly have to pay fees to access these services (or have them go out of business) when they don't have to pay now. So any politician that tried to ban personal data collection entirely is going to get an earful from heavy social media users. I don't think it takes lobbyists--though they no doubt exist--to prevent that from happening. Too bad though.
Cant they just use ads like everyone else? Selling the data to vendors is a different thing imo.

Back