Don't be like me. Use your mouthpiece!

danielr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like an idiot, I took out my mouthpiece while I was training and ended up getting kneed in the chin and cracking three of my teeth. I HAD MY MOUTHPIECE WITH ME AND WAS WEARING IT 5 MINUTES PRIOR!

Anyways, don't be like me, wear your mouthpieces! Luckily I have dental insurance, but a mouthpiece costs less than the co-pay.

lol, irony at its finest. I cant stand wearing mouthpieces, they make me gag.

I'll wear them to do mt but not for bjj.

I can't stand it either, but I'm going to wear it from now on.. I pretty much just use it for striking classes, but I'm going to wear it for grappling from now on.

Custom does not hinder my breathing or anything at all.

Make me. I've chipped many teeth in my life, but only once have I chipped a tooth grappling, and that was 12 years ago.

im used to the mouthpiece now. i do all my running/workouts etc with it in.

at my last in-house tourney...i took it out for one of my matches. i ended up biting my tounge SUUPER hard when i was pulled into a guillotine.

I've been seriously considering trying out rolling with one. As long as it doesn't interfere with breathing, I think it'd be great to have the extra security.

-CP

Godamnit, man.

You remind me of how I completely knocked out one of my judo friend's top FRONT TEETH (or the central incisor) from a freak butterfly guard accident. He sprawled out and my knee hit him square on the bottom of the chin.

The noise it made... thought he bit off his tongue. It's gonna haunt me forever.

Protect your grill, fellas!!

While I hate mouthpieces, too, I have recently been using children's size shock doctors. Allows for better respiration (sure feels that way, at least) even though it leaves the molars exposed.

Custom mouthpiece is virtually unnoticeable when you roll.

Get rid of that big mouth of plastic (ordinary mouthguard), buy a custom mouthpiece and you'll never want to roll without it. If anything, it's considerably MORE comfortable and relaxing than rolling without it.

If there's one piece of BJJ equipment I love without reservation, it's my opro mouthguard.

im used to the mouthpiece now. i do all my running/workouts etc with it in.

at my last in-house tourney...i took it out for one of my matches. i ended up biting my tounge SUUPER hard when i was pulled into a guillotine.

Same thing happened to me, took a week or so to heal. Eating was a bitch.

Never worn one (except boxing/MT/MMA).

Never chipped teeth, but have bit tongue & lips on numerous occasions - once after a competition needing stitches.

how much different are the custom made ones?
Are they smaller, or made with less material?
Can you breathe better with a custom one?

Pics?

But seriously, I know how it feels. I fucked up my front two teeth from backyard boxing with my friends. FYI anybody looking to do some boxing with friends, make sure you have mouthpieces and good gloves (the 20 dollar gloves from sports authority don't cut it)

cut the back shorter ..are you using a top bottom or just a top ? I found with the doubles I gag no matter what I use a single now and it's been fine ..the $80 unbreakable one made me gag but the 3 dollar one I got from wal-mart is perfect ..

actualy getting a mouthguard for rolling would be a good idea. when i first started this one guy was telling me he's a lot more scared of knocking out his teeth than he is of tearing a ligament or breaking a bone or something. then the same week i get a good foot or knee to the teeth (can't remember which it was). luckily i was fine, my teeth just felt a little weird for a day or two.

I can't stand it either, but I'm going to wear it from now on.. I pretty much just use it for striking classes, but I'm going to wear it for grappling from now on.

good plan so your used to them when you fight

i have my first fight on aug.22 and i got to get used to it

i have a custom man and it was well worth the money.. i dont even notice it in my mouth and talk normal. ive seen far too many people get there teeth knocked out and accidentally sink teeth into others b/c not wearing one. u can pay 2000 or more for new teeth or 150 for a great mouthguard.

Back