Double under stack pass defense - late stages

Not bad, though that's not a very good way for the passer to stack to be honest. I use this a lot against the naive stack:

That said, what's harder to defend is the head down double under ala Murilo Santana. I'd be curious how you like to defend that, because it's really tough.

Not bad, though that's not a very good way for the passer to stack to be honest. I use this a lot against the naive stack:

That said, what's harder to defend is the head down double under ala Murilo Santana. I'd be curious how you like to defend that, because it's really tough.

Short answer: head redirection. A lot of the time, the person will transition to the over/under pass from there as well, and I like to hit the crucifix whenever possible, but it's all contingent upon not allowing them to settle their head down low.

I will do a "head low" version at some point in the near future.

Check it out and let me know what you think!
I think your partner should get closer and lower and control hips, rather than wrapping legs. Then it would be interesting to watch how you get out.

I think your partner should get closer and lower and control hips, rather than wrapping legs. Then it would be interesting to watch how you get out.

How does Kurt Ossiander put it - you f'd up a long time ago? But yeah, there are options even from there.

You guys should see my panic and tap technique, or throw my own legs out of the way to give up side mount.

[YT]watch?t=16&v=O4JrSrhKnEc[/YT]

Let's say they clear the legs but are applying much more pressure to your hips, what would you think about using the Marcelo sit up / hand in armpit escape from here?

My
Late response is sit up escape off his elbow - MG style
MidLate -Elbow and butt scoot to sit guard
Mid- Heavy hips to a drag crucifix
Early - Both feet underhook his legs... lots of options
Real Early - Shoulder swim - recover

[YT]watch?t=16&v=O4JrSrhKnEc[/YT]

Let's say they clear the legs but are applying much more pressure to your hips, what would you think about using the Marcelo sit up / hand in armpit escape from here?

Yeah, for sure. I like to push the elbows myself, but it's the same principle at work.

When it comes to countering Miragaia style passing with the head low, I'm a big believer in snap-downs, e.g. what Trans does to Santana here:

Braulio shows a variation of this move on his website, vs. the double under pass, where he capitalizes on the opponent's occupied arms, trapping both as he scissors his legs and hits a beautiful whizzer style turnover.

Back