"Drifting" PS4 controller

Dream Evil

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I only got my PS4 a few months ago, but already one of my controllers has developed a "drift" in an upwards direction. It renders games mostly unplayable, as I'm now walking off cliffs left and right.

I've seen some youtube solutions like rolling the thumbsticks in circles, using compressed air, and doing a "restart" of the controller. I've tried those to no avail.

Seems like the next step is to take the controller apart and manually clean it. Saw a couple of videos on it, and frankly it looks a little intimidating. Just wondering if anyone here has experience doing this, or knows of some other solution?

Thanks.

I went through this whole ordeal with an Xbox controller. Every single solution failed, barring completely rebuilding the controller with new parts(which some asshole on youtube hilariously titled "easy fix"). I would try the basic fixes out, and if they don't work just eat it and grab a new one. It's likely fucked, the air compressor and rubbing alcohol would get rid of the dust if that's what was actually causing it. Unless you're an electrician, the rabbit hole for a normie to go down and attempt to fix it usually just leads to a lot of work(a little bit of cash if you don't have the tools), frustration and no fix.

I tried to take mine apart to replace the batteries once.

Trust me. Just buy a new one.

Last edited:
I would actually just go ahead and buy a couple of controllers because with the ps5 out now, sony's gonna stop producing ps4 consoles and controllers. Buy them now while you still have the chance.

I would actually just go ahead and buy a couple of controllers because with the ps5 out now, sony's gonna stop producing ps4 consoles and controllers. Buy them now while you still have the chance.
It will be years before this is a problem.

They won’t stop making them for years. Even after they stop there will be third party options forever

And there will always be third party. Shit, I'm pretty sure you can find Atari and Nintendo controllers quite regularly.

This is still a bitch though. A) Because the "drift" issue is becoming more and more common, and B) because the price of controllers has been rising ever since they went wireless and all fancy pants. They're the same price as the games, for god's sake. They're cheaping out on the standard parts, but breaking the bank on the tech. They gotta balance that shit out.

They won’t stop making them for years. Even after they stop there will be third party options forever
If you don't mind using 3rd party or care about what the color of the controller is, sure. But I've noticed that Best Buy has been sold out of the jet black controller for months. Not every Target has a jet black controller anymore either.

If you don't mind using 3rd party or care about what the color of the controller is, sure. But I've noticed that Best Buy has been sold out of the jet black controller for months. Not every Target has a jet black controller anymore either.
Hmm that is strange. I’m not seeing black in the first two pages on Amazon either. I do see dual shocks of other colors. Anyways, they’ll still support ps4 for a few years.

I actually do use a third party controller. It’s a really nice with the asymmetric layout like the Xbox controller. Third party doesn’t alway mean cheap anymore like it used to

That's very strange, but I suspect that has more to do with COVID and the surge in gaming demand. Like Blayt, I doubt Sony stops making PS4 controllers anytime soon. They know they have 115m units out in the wild, and these are still bringing in revenue through PS Plus subscriptions, PS Now subscriptions, and game sales.

Sony and Microsoft make money off the controllers. It's the consoles themselves which they've sometimes sold at a loss, or which they barely net back the money they make on the bill of manufacturing. The controllers, like the games, and most accessories, is a corollary profit stream they win by attracting a consumer to their ecosystem with the console itself.

They have to stop making them eventually, but I doubt they do that for several years.

I've fixed drifting before. I didn't notice it on some games but when I was replaying the Dishonored 2 my guy would move forward to the left side and trying to sneak around with that was almost unplayable. It is actually easier than you think, just taking it apart the first time is the hardest part. Don't need much to fix the issue but some isopropyl alcohol, q-tips, maybe tweezers and a screwdriver.
This is probably the issue ( ) the copper part in the analog stick either has dust or is oily. Wet the q-tips with isopropyl and just rub it on the copper until the q-tips stop looking dirty. An important thing is before you start putting the controller back together to make sure there are no strands of the q-tip on the copper or you'll have to take it apart again.
I tried looking for the video I used but I think he must have deleted it, but look up a video on how to take it apart the controller and reassemble it, there are some cords you might damage if you don't know where they are. It might look intimidating but I've never really taken apart stuff apart before this and I thought it was pretty easy. Wish I'd tried it with my other PS4 controllers, I either gave them away or threw them in the trash.

Hmm that is strange. I’m not seeing black in the first two pages on Amazon either. I do see dual shocks of other colors. Anyways, they’ll still support ps4 for a few years.

I actually do use a third party controller. It’s a really nice with the asymmetric layout like the Xbox controller. Third party doesn’t alway mean cheap anymore like it used to

That's interesting, I didn't know such a thing existed. I love the layout of the Xbox controller; might need to look into this.

I’ve taken apart one of my PS4 controllers. It was such a pain in the ass to put back together and the only difference afterward was that the PS4 could no longer tell me if the controller battery was charged or not. I gave up and searched around town until I could find a couple new ones.

I tried to take mine apart to replace the batteries once.

Trust me. Just buy a new one.

What's so bad about them? I've torn apart a couple of Xbone controllers to swap the buttons/shell to different colors and it was super easy.

What's so bad about them? I've torn apart a couple of Xbone controllers to swap the buttons/shell to different colors and it was super easy.
I got it back together and it worked but the shoulder buttons lost their spring. I took me several times tries and youtube videos to see how they're supposed to go but they were never the same. It was an old controller though so maybe his being only a few months old will be OK I don't know.

Is there a usb stick plugged in 1 of the ports by anychance

The first youtube vid I watched on how to open the PS4 controller was intimidating and I opened a PS3 controller a few times. Too many things to take apart including cables... where some are oriented one way, but there are some models the opposite way. That's doesn't inspire confidence.

My first PS4 controller that drifted was temporarily fixed by holding the stick in various directions while violently swinging it then abruptly stopping hoping that would dislodge whatever dust build up in there. It was ok for a while, then back to drifting.

There isn't enough clearance to blow compressed air without opening the controller. I think when I buy a new one, I'm gonna make little spandex aprons for the sticks to act as umbrellas to block dust from the holes.

They need to design the controllers better to prevent dust inside and enable easier servicing.

They need to design the controllers better to prevent dust inside and enable easier servicing.

It's really not dust 99% of the time though. It's just wear and tear mostly, and these new controllers are WAY more delicate than in generations past. Dust is easily cleared with compressed air, even if the opening isn't that big.

I think the main issue is just how delicate the tech is. You've got these extremely sensitive censors inside, that are being used in tandem with these cheap ass hunks of plastic that were likely made from melted down GI Joe toys. Not to mention that we're all still treating them like old NES controllers and tossing them around like we would any remote that controls a thing. Really, we should be treating them with respect, and putting them in protective cases when we're not using them. They're pretty advanced technological tools, and we're just treating them like shit because we don't know any better.

PS4 controllers seem to be restocked regularly at Best Buy and Target. Walmart is the most expensive, so I'm guessing people don't buy from there.

Anyone have the gold PS4 controller? Wondering if the color comes off on your hands. Not a lot of colors to choose from here.

Back