drinking, can i have a few without falling into bad habits ?

Drink less beer or drink more liquor. Choose a damn lane.

But seriously, sipping on craft beers is the best for everyone. Slow down and enjoy it. 2-3 should be good for an event/night out.

As someone who had addiction issues up until the age of 23.... I can't have just one of anything and stop. That's why I've been sober for 15 years now.

I can tell you it goes beyond just knowing when to stop. I have friends who aren't addicts that go out on the weekends and get shitfaced or high or whatever and then move on the next day as normal. They may not even drink or get high again for a week or two. Just getting a little too fucked up when you decide to party isn't necessarily a sign of a problem.

The issues lies in why you are getting fucked up constantly. If your life starts to center around when you can drink and get high again, that's a bigger issue. Does it get in the way of being a functioning adult? Do you have mood problems or personal issues that seem to go away when you are fucked up? Does they get worse when you are sober?

Don't worry about the quantity so much... make an assessment of what's going on in your head on a daily basis and then you should be able to decided if you have an issue.

Yarp, 12 Coors lights is literally nothing

Actually it's literally 12 Coors Lights. ;)

To TS, it really depends how YOU feel about it. If you have a few beers now and then and are cool with it then you don't currently have a problem IMO. However if you have a beer and your body and mind immediately want like 20 more of them, then it is a VERY slippery slope and probably not worth the mental torture.

I drank for 20 years and it got progressively worse over the past 4 or so. The last year was bottom, just drinking all the time, ER visits, rehab, etc. It was no longer fun to have 1 drink. I stay away from it now b/c it isn't worth the mental torture for me to drink 2-3 beers. So you CAN have a few without falling into bad habits but just make sure you or some friends or family notice the warning signs of addiction before you go too far down that path.

thats the thing about self control. im not setting a 2 beer limit or any boundries. its more of a can i enjoy a few beers without habits forming.

isnt a 2 beer limit setting yourself up for disaster down the track ?

If you can't stop at two then you shouldn't be drinking. The question is can you? Only you can answer that.

TS sounds like he needs to completely give up alcohol from his life or face the consequences of serious addiction

Mg GF drinks anywhere from 1-2 24oz IPA's after work and it's become a major issue in our relationship. She has built up such a habit when she gets off work I find myself now living with 2 people. When she doesn't drink, she'll get really antsy or will fall asleep early. She also refuses to believe the 20-30 pounds shes gained has nothing to do with the beer, but only the food. I think a 24oz IPA has somewhere around 300-400 calories. Long story short, after 2 years, I'm just about done with it. Living with an alcoholic sucks and not knowing who is coming home is hard for anyone.

This is the worst and most dangerous advice in this thread.

To the TS: the answer is no. You're not one of the people who can have a few. Sorry, you got one of those bad lottery tickets for alcohol consumption, genetically speaking. This will never be anything but a slippery slope to ruin for you.

I can agree with this. Trust me, I live with someone who can't control herself. being able to recognize it now and act is vital to your future. It's a slippery slope and when you're in it, you wont even realize or care.

if u have an alcoholic parent, dont start drinking or drugging at all

I have zero addictive tendencies so it’s funny to see other deal with that. Yea it’s insensitive but I’m always like “why don’t you just control yourself pussy!”

As long as you drink less than 15 a night, you'll be fine.

Mg GF drinks anywhere from 1-2 24oz IPA's after work. She has built up such a habit when she gets off work I find myself now living with 2 people.

Threesome!!

Jk, dude. That sucks.

I generally cut it off at a six pack of 6.5 % abv beer

when I used to try to limit it to two pints I ended up drinking 9 pints of beer for the day.

so I quit using the two pints strategy and just stuck with limiting my drinking to a six pack it satisfies the craving and I get a good buzz.

You're gonna die one day anyways so enjoy whatever you want while you can.

Besides, Trudeau is your AV. I think you may have worse problems.

Just over 3.5 years sober and I would never even test out drinking again. I did quite a few 7-8 month spurts of sobriety during my ~15 years of heavy drinking, but it always only took a single beer to pull me back in. My opinion is as follows : if you think you have a problem with alcohol, then you probably do. If you can avoid it altogether I think that's the way to go.

If you can't stop at two then you shouldn't be drinking. The question is can you? Only you can answer that.

easy. im just saying i wouldnt even bother drinking two id just have something else instead.

too many calories in beer.

easy. im just saying i wouldnt even bother drinking two id just have something else instead.

too many calories in beer.

If you wouldn't bother with two beers then why did you make this thread asking if you can start drinking again?

Back