Media Drysdale doubles down on his incompetent cornering of Rohskopf

Actually a lot of MMA coaches were trained like this and had corners with no experience in coaching. Remember that Drysdale was a fighter around the 2000's when the sport was growing on skill but not in coaching. i think the sport needs to learn how to properly train coaches in analyzing the situation and see what's going on instead of being too desperate to win.
Going to boxing gyms would be a start. There are a lot of knowledgeable coaches really around the world and the concept is similar.

Nothing stopping the fighter from not getting off the stool or verbally taping out to the ref, or physically tapping out of the fight.

He just wanted to not look like a bitch when quitting.

The corner never forced him to do anything. Let's be real here
It is the job of the corner to save the fighter from such embarrassment. Looking like a bitch is worse for a career than your corner looking out for you.

That kid needs to find a different camp, and the standard for cornering in MMA needs to drastically increase before someone dies or suffers life altering injuries in a high-profile UFC fight.

ETA Ariel is reporting that Bob Bennett, head of the NSAC was "disturbed" by Drysdale's cornering and he might have to appear before the commission then next time that they convene.

Roshkopf could have continued and won the fight. Drysdale handled it like most coaches would (and should). This wasn’t an Anthony smith level fight where he was badly hurt and incapable of winning.

Roshkopf quit. If you aren’t in the gym fighting regularly it may seem barbaric, but this is how fighting works.

Going to boxing gyms would be a start. There are a lot of knowledgeable coaches really around the world and the concept is similar.

Agreed. a lot of guys in MMA are still in the just bleed, gonna win no matter what mentality and getting rif of that is the first step to good cornering. The second like you said is learning from guys who has more time and know more about in ring performance and cornering.

Reactions: MCS
Roshkopf could have continued and won the fight. Drysdale handled it like most coaches would (and should). This wasn’t an Anthony smith level fight where he was badly hurt and incapable of winning.

He also could have gone out there and taken irreparable damage.

Roshkopf quit. If you aren’t in the gym fighting regularly it may seem barbaric, but this is how fighting works.

But should it be?

Is this the way fighting works, or the way MMA works? Like Ariel said, boxing doesn't seem to have this problem.

Dana should have called time and given everyone a "do you want to be a fucking fighter" speech.

As his coach, I agree with encouraging him to continue and find the will to win, however when his mind did not change and Drysdale was still fully trying to send him into the 3rd round was when this got unacceptable.

As a coach you must set aside your ego and do what’s best for your fighter. I would rather have my fighter pissed at me than live with their blood on my hands.

He also could have gone out there and taken irreparable damage.

But should it be?

Is this the way fighting works, or the way MMA works? Like Ariel said, boxing doesn't seem to have this problem.
Boxing definitely has a problem.

To be honest, it’s my opinion that Roshkopf could have definitely continued the fight and won. I believe his coach probably felt the same thing and didn’t want some adversity to make this guy quit when he could power through. It’s disappointing. The guy didn’t want to continue and he didn’t, that’s his prerogative.

Rohskopf probably won the first round. The beginning of the second was not bad either. The last 3 minutes of round 2 were brutal tho he got fucked up. He also clearly did not have cardio to go on.

People jumping on the hate bandwagon, the corner did nothing wrong, the fighter clearly gets the final say, and when he told the commision guys he didn't want it, they didn't force him or try to persuade him any further.

If he suddenly said 'Yeah, shit thanks guys, I got this', and won the fight, or even just carried on, no one would be talking about this. Yeah, if he was getting his face disfigured and his fucking teeth were falling out after 4 rounds of one sided beatings, that's different, but if you stop fights the moment anyone shows any sign of losing confidence, that's stupid.
Way I see it, they were doing their job trying to get their guy to work through his fear and make the most of the once in a lifetime opportunity he had. Guy didn't get hurt and quit on his own terms, so what's the outrage about?

I for one would trust the opinion of Sherdoggers much more than
a long time coach.

This guy wasn't getting pummeled or anything. He was just gassed. Idk why people are dragging hos corner. I remember the Pennington/Nunes fight this was a thing and Rocky was at least getting beaten up and down 4-0. I seriously don't see the issue. The ref stopped it.

That kid needs to find a different camp, and the standard for cornering in MMA needs to drastically increase before someone dies or suffers life altering injuries in a high-profile UFC fight.

ETA Ariel is reporting that Bob Bennett, head of the NSAC was "disturbed" by Drysdale's cornering and he might have to appear before the commission then next time that they convene.

You and all the guys like first reply must have never fought or trained hard in your life. The kid was injured or getting beat down, he just wanted to quit. He was throwing away his career and Robert was making sure he didn't do that. Any real coach, if he did that or quit in the gym, he'd be kicked out. The kid was broken mentally, and Drysdale was probably shocked more than anything. I stand behind Robert on this one

Roshkopf took the fight on less than a weeks notice. He spent himself making weight and gassed out in the first round. Dude got 10-8'ed in the second due to his inability to function, and his coach was asking him to go back out and wrestle Hubbard, which he clearly didn't have the strength to do.

He wasn't going to win that fight and was just risking injury.

hubbard-vs-rohskopf-ufc-on-espn-11-scorecard.jpg

I'm quite familiar with training and the fight game. That type of cornering is MMA-specific because of the idiotic pay structure in this sport. In boxing, corners pro-actively protect fighters when they're finished. In MMA, corners send fighters out to the slaughter so that they can chase win and OTN bonuses.

Back