Duck Alert! Hearn Low Balls Ortiz - fight is off

I heard last offer was $8mil.

It's hard to know for sure. Only figure I can find for his pay vs Wilder is $1.5mil.

Surprised he wasn't tempted at his age. The cards are stacked against him with this little notice, but that's a tidy little packet.

It's hard to know for sure. Only figure I can find for his pay vs Wilder is $1.5mil.

Surprised he wasn't tempted at his age. The cards are stacked against him with this little notice, but that's a tidy little packet.

Ortiz didn't make $1.5m against Wilder. Wilder made $1.5m against Ortiz.

Ortiz' career earnings probably don't even reach $3m.

If he turned down 7 million Ive got no sympathy for him.

Ortiz likely knows thats his last shot at the top. Hes near 40, on short notice, against a guy he probably cant beat so looking for a retirement check.

Cant say I blame him as hes likely to get put to sleep, but cant fault them turning down 10 million either.

I was told the last offer was 7, up from the original 4 or 5.

Everyone's dropping nuts at the thought of fighting AJ.

Ortiz and Wilder turning down big pay days, drop nuts confirmed lol.

Big baby was so terrified he filled himself with Captain America super serum in order to have a chance.

Last edited:
@george-oli

do you think Miller believed he'd get away with it while being VADA tested for his most high profile fight to date? I'm kinda leaning towards him crumbling under the media pressure and just wanting out, hence why he stayed on his cycle and got caught.
Yeah I was thinking the same. No one is that stupid.

lol i was laughing at him refusing $4M, but if it's actually 7, then he's either braindead stupid or has horrible management.

i'd understand him turning down a 7M fight had he already made tens of millions of dollars during his career. he hasn't, and he's old. you're getting an undeserved shot at the kingpin of the division for a shitload of cash and you price yourself out, just to stick it to them. superb logic, my hat is off to you mr ortiz.

His management sucks, and his so called “advisor” is really his promoter who won’t let him go and lose, because he has cards to fill to Fox and Showtime.

@cocksure

A.J has an opponent, so yet again all the top HW's walked away from a career best payday.

They are trying to shut down Eddie Hearn at all costs and they aren't even subtle about it anymore. Listen to Al Haymon when he's talking about negotiating with Hearn, it becomes clear very quickly that everything he does is about sticking it to Eddie and nothing to do with making A.J vs Wilder actually happen. It's the biggest fight in the division against it's biggest star and Eddie has made it clear he isn't afraid to risk him against the best, but here we are again and all the top HW's are bailing left and right on it :p

then they take fights with inferior opponents for less money and still many fans want to side with them?

I'm lost
I think you mean Haymon’s mouthpieces, because he’s a shadow figure who never speaks in public.

@cocksure

A.J has an opponent, so yet again all the top HW's walked away from a career best payday.

They are trying to shut down Eddie Hearn at all costs and they aren't even subtle about it anymore. Listen to Al Haymon when he's talking about negotiating with Hearn, it becomes clear very quickly that everything he does is about sticking it to Eddie and nothing to do with making A.J vs Wilder actually happen. It's the biggest fight in the division against it's biggest star and Eddie has made it clear he isn't afraid to risk him against the best, but here we are again and all the top HW's are bailing left and right on it :p

then they take fights with inferior opponents for less money and still many fans want to side with them?

I'm lost

Ok, thats a reasonable opinion but I still think whoever the opponent, the fee should match Miller, why not?
And Whyte refused a fee, in-house fighter? Now thats a big fight, so the 'lowball' isnt all imaginary.

Sounds like Ortiz management have admitted they never wanted it, Hearn's going to expose all of it as soon as the fight is signed, emails, contracts etc. Bad news for the haters.

Ortiz and his team are idiots either way, turning down life changing money like that for a shot at the number 1 crown. If he thinks they are paying him to take a loss or whatever then thats on him for not being good enough.

Wilder is the same, pathetic entitlement for a guy who's barely beat a top contender.

@cocksure

They are trying to shut down Eddie Hearn at all costs and they aren't even subtle about it anymore. Listen to Shelly Finkel when he's talking about negotiating with Hearn, it becomes clear very quickly that everything he does is about sticking it to Eddie and nothing to do with making A.J vs Wilder actually happen. It's the biggest fight in the division against its biggest star and Eddie has made it clear he isn't afraid to risk him against the best, but here we are again and all the top HW's are bailing left and right on it :p

I'm lost
It's looking more and more like this is the real truth. No one wants to fight AJ even when they get offered more money.

Whyte is pricing himself out (for now) these other low ball offers are still multiple times their previous highest earnings or career total earnings which they should be as the fights will make more money than their previous ones. The A side in all these fights is AJ which is why none of these guys have earned anything like this previously.

Hearn is offering money which some would say is over paying to try and get AJ the fights. If these fighters, or my likely their promoters, thought they were in with a shot of winning they would take it as imagine the position they are in afterwards.

That's the point , we can tell that AJ and his team offered a fake/phoney/bs contract to wilder. Whyte complained about the same problem, where even if they win, they are the b side in an IMMEDIATE rematch, this flies in the face of what normally happens in boxing, even Leon spinks in his 9th professional fight was the A side against one of the biggest draws in boxing history (muhammed ali), why? Because he won the first fight Leon Spinks vs. Muhammad Ali II, or Hasim Rahman vs. Lennox Lewis II or Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson II, these legends knew they had to be the b side, in an IMMEDIATE if they lost the first fight. For AJ and his team, to try to buck this trend, shows they have been lowballing, fake/wrestlemania/phoney/avengers endgame/bogus contract offers that morally deserve to be rejected.

I only hope Ortiz hasn't faced the similar, one sided, illusionary contract offers, we want to see the big fights, not gutless posturing. Imagine being arguably offered a worse offer than spinks in his 9th pro fight.

Hopefully this can be sorted, AJ and his team should back their guy, rather than ducking for cover, with some of these smokescreen, smoke and mirror offers against potentially dangerous opponents.

That's the point , we can tell that AJ and his team offered a fake/phoney/bs contract to wilder. Whyte complained about the same problem, where even if they win, they are the b side in an IMMEDIATE rematch, this flies in the face of what normally happens in boxing, even Leon spinks in his 9th professional fight was the A side against one of the biggest draws in boxing history (muhammed ali), why? Because he won the first fight Leon Spinks vs. Muhammad Ali II, or Hasim Rahman vs. Lennox Lewis II or Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson II, these legends knew they had to be the b side, in an IMMEDIATE if they lost the first fight. For AJ and his team, to try to buck this trend, shows they have been lowballing, fake/wrestlemania/phoney/avengers endgame/bogus contract offers that morally deserve to be rejected.

I only hope Ortiz hasn't faced the similar, one sided, illusionary contract offers, we want to see the big fights, not gutless posturing. Imagine being arguably offered a worse offer than spinks in his 9th pro fight.

Hopefully this can be sorted, AJ and his team should back their guy, rather than ducking for cover, with some of these smokescreen, smoke and mirror offers against potentially dangerous opponents.
Ortiz' deal has nothing related to an immediate rematch and would be a retirement pay packet and free shot at 3 of the 4 belts.
He (Haymon) turned it down because Haymon will not let any of his heavyweights in the ring with Joshua for any amount of money.

L O L the only reason those fighters are worth paying is because they are facing A.J

there's some real idiots managing the rest of the HW division, turning down 3x their best ever payday and then complaining about being lowballed? :D is this even real? 3 or 4 promoters all trying to hold onto Deontay's WBC belt so Eddie's guy doesn't get it, it's really petty.

Bringing up what he made in the past is pointless when Eddie already set the market price at $6.5M. Ortiz should at the very least get that and more.

Bringing up what he made in the past is pointless when Eddie already set the market price at $6.5M. Ortiz should at the very least get that and more.

And what if the rumour that he turned down 7m is true, will you admit your boy has ducked.

100m dollars is a bs offer now.

Fuck me.

fuck context, make it a threesome

You provided 3 examples from the entire history of boxing and one doesn’t even back up your point.

Lewis’s purse is listed as more in that link, so that gives you 2, De La Hoya lost to Mosley , guess who was still the A side in a rematch.

Tyson Fury was set to be the B side in a Wlad rematch also.

Last edited:
You provided 3 examples from the entire history of boxing and one doesn’t even back up your point.

Lewis’s purse is listed as more in that link, so that gives you 2,

There is a difference sometimes between guaranteed base purse and overall take home pay, some fighters can opt for a higher guarantee, instead of base pay + instead of smaller slice of PPV,.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Kovalev_vs._Andre_Ward
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Ward_vs._Sergey_Kovalev_II

shows elements of this flexibility

De La Hoya lost to Mosley , guess who was still the A side in a rematch.

The rematch wasn't immediate, (which is why I put the word immediate in bold twice, in my previous post)

If it's not immediate, that means a rematch clause likely hasn't been triggered, so it's a new round of negotiation, largely from scratch.

Bottomline

There is little reason for whyte to be a b side in a rematch after having beaten AJ, an even less reason for wilder, seeing as Hearn admits Wilder is a bigger name in the US

Last edited:
Back