Movies DUNE: PART TWO (Passes $600 Million Worldwide; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen DUNE: PART TWO, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Finally got around to seeing it, just left the IMAX theater. I was supposed to go on opening day but got the flu.

The film was absolutely amazing, it's all I had hoped part one was going to be and more. Pretty much everything worked for me here, the score (much better than the first with no bagpipes and the wailing), cinematography, script, acting, direction, emotion, plot. There were more than a few scenes that stood out as well like
The worm riding scene, the geidi prime segment in infrared, Paul drinking the water and holy fuck how badass was it when Paul strolled up to the Fremen war council and took over.
I found myself going "wow" out loud a few times.

Javiar Bardeem, Austin Butler and Rebecca Ferguson were standouts for me, a long with Chalamet. I sometimes think that Denis' direction is too distant and cold, but it all worked for me here. Looking forward to watching it again.

9/10

Second thought I hope they end this franchise here unless they make Messiah and Children 1 movie. Messiah by itself was a decent book but would make a really boring movie .
You might just get your wish

Denis Villeneuve is saying he won't make part 3 unless he can make it better than part 2

Denis Villeneuve: If I Ever Do ‘Dune 3,’ It Will Be ‘Because It’s Going to Be Better’ Than ‘Part Two’ … ‘Otherwise, I Don’t Do It’​

Sounds like he is challenging the studio to get a solid team to pull this off..

Denis should adapt God Emperor of Dune solely for the wtf reaction from most of the general audience for the main character.

I thought occured to me: since they cast a known actress for the role of Paul's adult sister, maybe they will try to combine Messiah and Children of Dune into one movie?

Finally got to take my kids to watch this. These two Dune movies are a bonafide miracle. Love the book, but it is impossible to film, or at least it SHOULD be, but this was just stupendous. Gonna watch it again, because I find that rewatching movies based on books I know well is an even better experience: you don't have the whiny nerd voice in your head going "He said that line in a totally different tone of voice in the boooorksss".

Overall, liked the first one slightly better, because it had more time to focus on character, while the second one absolutely has to get down to business of driving the huge and complex plot to its destination. That may change on subsequent viewings, though.

Any criticism I could offer is nitpicking. Kudos to everyone involved for making something truly grand!

I really enjoyed it, its definitely worth a trip to the theatre. Everything looks and sounds amazing.

Despite 2 long movies to cover a single book the ending sequence felt rushed to.me. Great movie though, go see it.

Could have used some levity or just characters that smiled occasionally, very bleak. And some boobs. Boobs are beloved by everyone but no boobs.

Agreed on the boobs, even though we are nitpicking. The books don't shy away from sexuality, but the movies are almost completely chaste. But I take it as a sign of the times we live in. Big blockbusters will show shirtless dudes, but women are mostly covered up.

@Poirierfan hey man, didn't know where else to drop this, so decided to drop it here. I just finished watching the movie and, overall, I really liked it -- especially the political intrigue. The movie felt like it was really trying to be more than a typical movie and that's actually why the stuff I didn't like stood out: the fight scenes were so generic and uninteresting that they absolutely reminded me that I was watching a team of stuntmen doing a choreographed performance. At one point I laughed out loud when one of the Fremen hit a flying armbar one of Gurney's troops and at that point I was well out of the narrative. It took me a few minutes to get back into it. The other times the illusion broke for me is in scenes where I absolutely did not believe Chalamet and Zendaya were sand people and had the strong feeling that I was watching some theatre kids put on a performance.

I think the movie was at it's best when it was about political intrigue and showing us all the cool ways their world and technology are different than what we've seen before.The parts that drew me in the most I'm pretty sure did so because they were directly from the book (talking to the fetus, harvesting water from corpses, controlling the worms as weapons and vehicles, etc.) and didn't feel like a dozen movies I've seen before. I'm glad you recommended it!

@Poirierfan hey man, didn't know where else to drop this, so decided to drop it here. I just finished watching the movie and, overall, I really liked it -- especially the political intrigue. The movie felt like it was really trying to be more than a typical movie and that's actually why the stuff I didn't like stood out: the fight scenes were so generic and uninteresting that they absolutely reminded me that I was watching a team of stuntmen doing a choreographed performance. At one point I laughed out loud when one of the Fremen hit a flying armbar one of Gurney's troops and at that point I was well out of the narrative. It took me a few minutes to get back into it. The other times the illusion broke for me is in scenes where I absolutely did not believe Chalamet and Zendaya were sand people and had the strong feeling that I was watching some theatre kids put on a performance.

I think the movie was at it's best when it was about political intrigue and showing us all the cool ways their world and technology are different than what we've seen before.The parts that drew me in the most I'm pretty sure did so because they were directly from the book (talking to the fetus, harvesting water from corpses, controlling the worms as weapons and vehicles, etc.) and didn't feel like a dozen movies I've seen before. I'm glad you recommended it!
That's a fair enough assessment, excellent points, I agree for the most part. Glad you enjoyed it man. ✌️

@don't ask, you ever seen The Creator? Not as good but still a fun Sci Fi movie about AI. The CGI is unreal in that movie ( probably the best I've ever seen). It's a new movie and worth the watch imo.

@don't ask, you ever seen The Creator? Not as good but still a fun Sci Fi movie about AI. The CGI is unreal in that movie ( probably the best I've ever seen). It's a new movie and worth the watch imo.
No! i wanted to watch it, but then the reviews came in and I put in on the backburner. However, I fully admit some of my favorite movies have divided critics, so that's not really something I should pay attention to.

i'll watch it one day. I love sci fi, but smart sci fi is rare.

No! i wanted to watch it, but then the reviews came in and I put in on the backburner. However, I fully admit some of my favorite movies have divided critics, so that's not really something I should pay attention to.

i'll watch it one day.
It's more of a fun movie, I watched it twice. Once by myself and once with my son. Take the chance, don't be a pussy! Lol

Last edited:
It's more of a fun movie, I watched it twice. Once by myself and once with my son. Take the chance, don't be a pussy! Lol
lol okay, you got me. I'm going to have 72 hours standby this weekend so I'll be watching a lot of movies and shitposting on sherdog a ton. I'll put the Creator in there.

lol I just realized, I should share a movie recommendation with you. Check out Wolf of Snow Hollow. It's an amazing and complex blend of smart drama, horror, mystery and dark comedy... it is easily my favourite movie of the last several years.

The best way to describe it is a recovering alcoholic cop tries to resist the bottle as his life falls apart... and suddenly he's confronted with evidence there's not a serial killer on the loose, but a werewolf.

I can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:
lol I just realized, I should share a movie recommendation with you. Check out Wolf of Snow Hollow. It's an amazing and complex blend of smart drama, horror, mystery and dark comedy... it is easily my favourite movie of the last several years.

The best way to describe it is a recovering alcoholic cop tries to resist the bottle as his life falls apart... and suddenly he's confronted with evidence there's not a serial killer on the loose, but a werewolf.

I'll watch it in a little bit since I ain't got shit better to do, thanks. 😁✌️

Don't expect an in depth review, I will however report back and give it an honest score, cross my old heart. Lol

The Cursed was a more recent ok werewolf movie btw.

Last edited:

I'll check it out

Back