Dustin Poirier might have the greatest resume in lightweight history

Axl'

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ranking Poirier as the greatest lightweight of all time would obviously be pretty difficult considering he never won ''the big one''. However, looking at the names he defeated and the way he defeated them, I think he might have the argument for the best resume in lightweight history.

Lets look at his best wins

Max Holloway - Dustin and Max went to absolute war for 5 rounds with Dustin winning and ending Holloway's 13 fight win streak.

Conor McGregor - Whatever most of us might think about Conrad and his career post 2016, dude was still a big favorite coming in that second fight a has never been knocked out inside the octagon. Poirier came with a great plan, executed it and became the first man to knock him out.

Eddie Alvarez - IMO Eddie is one of the most underrated guys in lightweight history, another guy with a pretty good argument for the best resume in the division. He was also coming off his best performance in the UFC, following the KO win in a war against then undefeated Gaethje. Dustin again went through adversity and managed to knock him out.

Justin Gaethje - Not much to say here, 2 highly ranked contenders, another absolute war with Dustin pulling out a finish in the 4th.

Michael Chandler - Coming off the Oliveira loss and people starting to doubt his motivation, Dustin shows up again for a classic performance. Gets hurt again, violence ensues, Dustin wins again and gets the finish. Amazing performance.

I would say those are his 5 best wins, all of them pure violence

But lets not forget the insane fight against Dan Hooker, who was 7-1 at lightweight with Dustin pretty much stopping that hypetrain. Then there is the real fun Anthony Pettis which was kinda the first fight that pushed Dustin into that top 10 contention.

Then there are some solid wins over veterans and up and coming fighters at the time - Jim Miller, Joe Duffy and knock out wins over Bobby Green and Carlos Diego Ferreira

13-3-1(NC) at lightweight.

The only blemish on his resume would be the Michael Johnson loss, but he rebounded after that and went on his best run of his career.

Thoughts?

I think RDA probably has it but if he had the Connor fight, he would have the best one

it's a sick resume, definitely. he's a top 10 all time lw, maybe top 5.

How is it not Khabib?

He beat Gaethje, Conor, Rafel Dos Anjos, Barboza, Porier, Johnson and half of them he finished also has a lot of other top wins

I think RDA probably has it but if he had the Connor fight, he would have the best one
RDA is a good one, but don't think it's as good. Pettis, Cerrone 2x, Benson, Nate. Felder and Moicano are also solid wins although they do have a pretty big asterisk on them. I'd argue Eddie has a better resume. Champion in UFC and Bellator. Wins over RDA, Chandler, Gaethje, Pettis, Melendez, Aoki, Kawajiri, Hansen.

The comparison isn't exact by any means, but he's getting a Dan Henderson-esk resume. Lots of great names at multiple weights, rarely completely outclassed, but not unbeatable.

Top 10? Yeah. Top 5? Solid maybe. But never quite the best.

Thoughts?
He's a top ten all-time Lightweight, but there are some champions with not only more top ten ranked wins, but better resumes.

Oliveira's resume:

#5 Kevin Lee
#4 Tony Ferguson
#6 Michael Chandler
#1 Dustin Poirier
#2 Justin Gaethje

Oliveira has 5 top ten wins.
Nurmagomedov's resume:

#6 Rafael dos Anjos
#7 Michael Johnson
#4 Edson Barboza
#1 Dustin Poirier
#2 Justin Gaethje

Nurmagomedov has 5 top ten wins.
Penn's resume:

#2 Caol Uno
#5 Matt Serra
#6 Takanori Gomi
#8 Joe Stevenson
#4 Sean Sherk
#4 Kenny Florian
#2 Diego Sanchez

Penn has 7 top ten wins.
Alvarez' resume:

#9 Tatsuya Kawajiri
#5 Shinya Aoki
#4 Michael Chandler
#6 Gilbert Melendez
#2 Anthony Pettis
#1 Rafael dos Anjos
#9 Justin Gaethje

Alvarez has 7 top ten wins.
Henderson's resume:

#7 Jim Miller
#6 Clay Guida
#1 Frankie Edgar
#2 Frankie Edgar
#4 Nate Diaz
#2 Gilbert Melendez
#8 Josh Thomson

Henderson has 7 top ten wins.
Gomi's resume:

#5 Rumina Sato
#5 Dokonjonosuke Mishima
#7 Ralph Gracie
#2 Jens Pulver
#3 Tatsuya Kawajiri
#2 Hayato Sakurai
#3 Marcus Aurelio
#2 Mitsuhiro Ishida

Gomi has 8 top ten wins.
For reference, here is Poirier's resume:
Poirier's resume:

#7 Anthony Pettis
#10 Justin Gaethje
#1 Eddie Alvarez
#7 Dan Hooker
#4 Michael Chandler

Poirier has 5 top ten wins.
McGregor wasn't ranked at Lightweight in Poirier's second fight and he was ranked #12 in the third fight (I go by FightMatrix rankings, not the UFC, since the UFC's rankings are voted on by "media" who are nothing more than Facebook pages and are told who to vote for by the UFC itself); it's the same reason McGregor wasn't counted in Nurmagomedov's resume in the above.

Definitely one of the top resume's in lightweight history.
Him being the first guy to defeat Joe Duffy in the UFC and derail that short hype train was fun to see.
The Yancy Meidoros win is also a nice feather in his cap, that was a great performance from Dustin.

Even if he never won a undisputed championship fight, he's still a great fighter and will be remembered in the history books for what he's accomplished.

He's a top ten all-time Lightweight, but there are champions with not only more top ten ranked wins, but better resumes.
Holy shit, that some nice information gathering from you.
Good job and thanks for sharing this.

It's worth noting that over the last 6 years (likely his prime), he has gone 9-2-1, with the only losses to fighters who were widely regarded as the best active lightweight in the world at the time of the fight. In the 9 wins, he received 6 fight of the night bonuses and 2 performance of the night bonuses, with the only non bonus win being the Conor leg break fight.

That's entertainment, regardless of where you have him ranked.
Thanks, Doostin!

He's absolutely up there. Along with a great resume, he entertains every single time out there.

I feel like 1/3 of the threads on the main page include the words “best” “greatest” or “of all time”. This is a very tiring obsession.

I wasnt a fan of FW Dustin i’ll admit

But LW Dustin when he turned a corner in his career has been a treat to watch. Joining ATT and bulking up along the way was what he needed. He developed a nasty boxing game and his grit seemed only to get stronger in the trenches.

Always a fan now

Back