Media Dustin Poirier Says He Was Extremely Depressed, Suicidal After Justin Gaethje Loss

Sure, but this is Ariel. He's not deep diving into Dustin's mental health issues because he cares so much. He wants the clicks, the headlines and the articles mentioning him as the source. And again, you can leave it at that when he mentioned that he was fighting demons and bad thoughts. No need to ask in front of millions if he wanted to kill himself.

Ok so who really cares? What person could post this story and get the opposite reaction from you? If dustin posted it himself would you say he was just doing it for the clicks too?

Did he say that? Post earlier in the thread says the title is inaccurate.

He said he was worried about his well-being right? I think that means harming yourself, whatever extent it is.

Hespect to him for being honest. Getting put out like that in front of millions of people has to be demoralizing, no matter how mentally strong you are. The ability to alchemize that type of mental struggle and move on from it shows that these guys are as tough mentally as they are physically.

When I knock someone out clearly Jesus had my back and gave me the strength to do it

But when I get KO’d it’s the devils fault for banning trt

Damn. Good to see him comeback and get the w, maybe he should retire with it.
Depression is fucked up.

I think part of the depression would be over never becoming undisputed chanp, so I don't think retiring now would help with that.

Poirier started therapy after the Gaethje loss. There's nothing wrong with finding ways to open up and speak freely about the way you're feeling to possibly find some understanding or catharsis. He mentions Volkanovski being honest after the Makhachev loss about his mental struggles as well letting Dustin know he's not alone. No one knows what another person is going through. We all handle things differently. Glad to see he got some help. Mental health is no joke.
@Black9
100% true. Most certainly it is great that guys are seeking help, and being concussed multiple times, having a lot of pressure in the public eye, and often having a traumatic background make it really tough on these guys (with many being 'too manly' to get help, or following a cultural belief that you don't get mental health treatment).

My concern is that he has reached such an extreme. Dustin has had his losses and taken his lumps in the past and seemed to have the coping skills to work through it. Depression and anxiety would be quite normal. Feeling suicidal is not though and is indicative of a more serious problem. It could be CTE, and it could be something else in his life right now, but if he is getting help, that's encouraging. I just hope he doesn't take too much more head trauma.

Crazy to see one of the most beloved and veteran fighters still be that depressed after a loss.

Its not crazy to see at all.

To achieve greatness in MMA, it requires an extreme dedication that could... probably should... be considered obsessive.

We, as fans, see the overeaction of celebration by fighters after a victory. We don't see the extreme opposite reaction of fighters after a loss that could last weeks or months.

For Dustin, he'a 1-3 in title fights.
One victory for that #1 Contender Belt.
One loss against Khabib for the legit belt.
One loss against Oliveria for the legit belt.
One loss against Gaethje for the BMF belt.

Its a damn tragedy he's probably never going to win the legit 155 belt.

Its not crazy to see at all.

To achieve greatness in MMA, it requires an extreme dedication that could... probably should... be considered obsessive.

We, as fans, see the overeaction of celebration by fighters after a victory. We don't see the extreme opposite reaction of fighters after a loss that could last weeks or months.

For Dustin, he'a 1-3 in title fights.
One victory for that #1 Contender Belt.
One loss against Khabib for the legit belt.
One loss against Oliveria for the legit belt.
One loss against Gaethje for the BMF belt.

Its a damn tragedy he's probably never going to win the legit 155 belt.
We've seen craziest things and Poirier achieving glory by beating Islam in June out of nowhere would be biblical.

Modern fighter are pussies (and I'm stronger than them)

lose a fight – get suicidal
become a champion – get suicidal
don't have a fight coming up – get suicidal
retire – get suicidal

<DCrying>

I dont think this is CTE

Its just very difficult to get knocked out and have millions of people see it. You gotta sit there and eat it, for months, until the next fight You try and train hard,but think "Im not good enough"
Then every fighter who gets kod should be thinking like Dustin, most fighters know what they are getting into. This isn’t even his most humiliating defeat, Conor defeat should have been worse but he came back greater and even was humbled by it and praised someone he despised in Conor publicly. Dustin is in wars every time he fights. If you don’t think there is gona be some type of repercussions, then you might be out your mind. Hopefully he is still intact mentally but I’m starting to see signs, hopefully he is well mentally. A lot of DP fans been calling for him to retire recently. I will watch him till he retires but hopefully he doesn’t go out sad.

Then every fighter who gets kod should be thinking like Dustin, most fighters know what they are getting into.
Alot of them do. You really think the only ones goin through it are the only one's talking?

I've never liked Poirier, but I for some reason, surprisingly to myself, started rooting for him mid fight against that other dude.

Maybe his wife coming into the cage celebrating after Conor broke his leg made me despise him.

Maybe his wife coming into the cage celebrating after Conor broke his leg made me despise him.
Why would that make you despise him? Conor had been an asshole to her and her husband. She had no reason not to celebrate,esp w her husband's health on the line,and him comin out OK.

Why would that make you despise him? Conor had been an asshole to her and her husband. She had no reason not to celebrate,esp w her husband's health on the line,and him comin out OK.

There should be no huge celebration after a man is hit with a possible career ending injury.

Not right over his corpse.

Just no. Save it for your personal gathering.

Conor wasn't an asshole; he was building fight hype and making them ungrateful deviants rich for generations. Don't lose the plot.

There should be no huge celebration after a man is hit with a possible career ending injury.

Not right over his corpse.

Just no. Save it for your personal gathering.
Agony and the Ecstasy bradda.

It aint like Conor was in a fuckin coma. It was just his foot. Aint no one worried about him or should be worried about him to that extent.

Agony and the Ecstasy bradda.

It aint like Conor was in a fuckin coma. It was just his foot. Aint no one worried about him or should be worried about him to that extent.

Just his foot? Stop it. His leg snapped in half.

Show some decency.

That's a career ender.

Alot of them do. You really think the only ones goin through it are the only one's talking?
No I think most would not talk about it. But why is Dustin? Especially when he knows he got a large audience. Talking like this is would cause humiliation to fighters as well.

Back