Ear Pro

Woldog

SherGOAT
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
What ear pro do you guys use? I've used Howard Leights Sport Impact Bolts, but found they weren't accurate with directional hearing. I used Walkers Razor Digital ear muffs ever since and really enjoyed them though after a few hours they can become uncomfortable. Last night one of my buddies gifted me a pair of Peltor Comtac XPI's I haven't had a chance to use the pair he gave me yet but I have used them previously and they were the first introduction to electronic ears. I'm going to do a bit of TLC on mine i.e new headband and some gel cups.
Will they be okay for .308's and similar? or should I run ear plugs inside them?

These. Use them for shooting, motorcycling, and hunting. Concerts and noisy places, sometimes at work when I don't feel like listening.
LL_1_D_1__05915.1595945600.jpg

These. Use them for shooting, motorcycling, and hunting. Concerts and noisy places, sometimes at work when I don't feel like listening.
LL_1_D_1__05915.1595945600.jpg
I like to be able to hear everything moving around me in the thick scrub while I'm wading through it though

Indoor I double up now thanks to assholes with their AR and AK pistols. Howard Leight Impact Sports over cheap foam plugs.
We'd use wads of toilet paper in the military. <Lmaoo>

I just use basic cheap shit I found on Amazon. Works fine enough for me and if I’m shooting 5.56 or louder I’ll just double up and put some of those disposable ear plugs in too.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FL582AS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

While we’re on the subject has anyone had any experience with those noise cancelling ear protection? These have got me intrigued but I question their effectiveness.

https://goaxil.com/pages/gsextreme?rfsn=6449559.2871ec
So the Comtac XPI's and the the Razor Walker Digitals are both noise cancelling i.e electronic ears. They enhance your hearing like you're a superhero you can hear everything around and then either instantly cut the sound of the gunshot or drop it to "safe" levels. I.e they've got similar protection to your regular earmuffs but enhance your hearing rather than deafen you completely.
The Comtac XPI's are the standard issue for combat units in Australia's military and the Walkers Digital are similar (but much cheaper)
The Walker Razor Digital set did their job fine. I've fired .308's and 12g Shotguns with them and had them fired next to me and barely heard the shot. But I've heard that regardless they don't have the same level of hearing protection that say the regular ear pro do.
I would question the effectiveness of things like the digital earbuds for full ear protection perhaps someone like @RerouteToRemain knows more about it.
MT20H682FB-02_SV_-_Comtac_XPI_Headset_-_Black__74212.1530023518.1280.1280__44361.1589936202.jpg

Walkers_Game_Ear_Razor_Digital_Xtrm_Muffs_Grey__63738.1582752011.jpg

Indoor I double up now thanks to assholes with their AR and AK pistols. Howard Leight Impact Sports over cheap foam plugs.
We'd use wads of toilet paper in the military. <Lmaoo>
I've used Howard Leight Impact Sports. I wasn't a fan of them for hunting (Their directional hearing was absolute shit) But I imagine at the range they do a pretty good job.

If I'm hunting I don't wear ears but my rifles are suppressed.

I haven't looked much into expensive ear pro. I just wear the cheap impact sports but with the noise barrier gel pads.

Those look like Starbursts and would be appealing if not for their mildly phallic appearance.

As a musician and lover of music, I always double up (even if it's just crumpled up napkins). More often than not I use cotton balls inside of Walker Razors. Comfortable enough for me, but I very rarely shoot for more than 45 minutes and/or I'm outdoors taking very slow deliberate shots.

Those look like Starbursts and would be appealing if not for their mildly phallic appearance.

As a musician and lover of music, I always double up (even if it's just crumpled up napkins). More often than not I use cotton balls inside of Walker Razors. Comfortable enough for me, but I very rarely shoot for more than 45 minutes and/or I'm outdoors taking very slow deliberate shots.

When I shot competitively, I'd use these and muffs. But these work great, are cheap, lower the decibel rate nicely. Good for concerts too.

Did I mention they're cheap!

When I shot competitively, I'd use these and muffs. But these work great, are cheap, lower the decibel rate nicely. Good for concerts too.

Did I mention they're cheap!

I like cheap but what are they? I can't exactly ask for the two-tone starburst penis plugs.

I like cheap but what are they? I can't exactly ask for the two-tone starburst penis plugs.

Ha.

They come in other colors.

The flare at the end ensures they don't go in too far, only balls deep!

I got a Peltor headset that I use for the shooting range. They are expensive, but I put a lot of value in my hearing. If someone has an especially loud gun beside me I'll throw some foam plugs in my ears to double down on the protection. The directional hearing of the Peltors is much better than the Walkers to me, but the Peltors are much more expensive so it's a trade off.

Looks somewhat like these:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102288435?pid=554504

I got a Peltor headset that I use for the shooting range. They are expensive, but I put a lot of value in my hearing. If someone has an especially loud gun beside me I'll throw some foam plugs in my ears to double down on the protection. The directional hearing of the Peltors is much better than the Walkers to me, but the Peltors are much more expensive so it's a trade off.

Looks somewhat like these:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102288435?pid=554504
Those are likely the same as the XPI's that I have. They are named something different in the US. Same brand but for some reason different product names. Mine are Peltor Comtac XPI's but I'm waiting on my gel cups to arrive before taking them out.

Those are likely the same as the XPI's that I have. They are named something different in the US. Same brand but for some reason different product names. Mine are Peltor Comtac XPI's but I'm waiting on my gel cups to arrive before taking them out.
I doubled checked on my headphones, and I don't have the Peltors. The brand that I have are Sordins. In my head the Peltors and the Sordins look the same. I didn't look at the specific model, but they look like these. The only upgrade I did is mine came with foam ear cups, and I changed them out for the gel ear cups. The gel cups made a huge difference in comfort over the foam ear cups. I can wear mine most of the day without any discomfort. Two negatives that I have found are the batteries can be difficult to take out, and the batteries on mine don't seem to last very long when in storage. My headset may have an electrical gremlin since I make sure to turn them off when I'm done and the batteries still die.
61JY9nXTMYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I doubled checked on my headphones, and I don't have the Peltors. The brand that I have are Sordins. In my head the Peltors and the Sordins look the same. I didn't look at the specific model, but they look like these. The only upgrade I did is mine came with foam ear cups, and I changed them out for the gel ear cups. The gel cups made a huge difference in comfort over the foam ear cups. I can wear mine most of the day without any discomfort. Two negatives that I have found are the batteries can be difficult to take out, and the batteries on mine don't seem to last very long when in storage. My headset may have an electrical gremlin since I make sure to turn them off when I'm done and the batteries still die.
61JY9nXTMYL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Do you live somewhere that where you keep them could get extremely cold? Cold kills batteries like nothing else.

Do you live somewhere that where you keep them could get extremely cold? Cold kills batteries like nothing else.
No. They stay in the safe in my house. I make sure I turn them off before they go in the safe which is the puzzling part. I should just get in the habit of taking the batteries out after every range trip and not have to worry about the issue.

Back