eating before bjj

Ok, so far this is what has worked for me the best. Assuming you are training around supper time:
- eat protein (red meat for example) a few hours before training at lunch(your body needs a few hours to assimilate it)
- Have a little snack like 2-3 h before training like a handful of nuts
- 1 hour before training, drink a glass of milk with a little honey in it (I believe milk is the most effective energy boost for sports)
- don't forget to slowly load up on water throughout the day (hydration prevents injuries, and drinking 1 liter right before is wrong)

Whatever floats your boat. So far this floats mine.

EDIT: oh, i forgot, i try to keep away from coffee on the days I train because it dehydrates you.

Avoid Indian Food at all costs the day of training. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING makes u more lethargic, including the heaviest Italian foods.

I noticed this too. Any idea why? I LOVE indian food, but it just puts me right to sleep.

JD

I have my last pre-train meal by 2:30 p.m. at the latest for 6:00 p.m. training. But I hate training with anything in my stomach.

I don't really follow any sort of code but I usually eat a sandwich about an hour before and drink a lot of water for the three hours leading up to it. While my most energetic days are when I so happen to drink coffee right before rolling.

While my most energetic days are when I so happen to drink coffee right before rolling.

i like to have some caffeine too, but coffee makes me have to pee so bad, so i sometimes drink a small can of redbull.

lol i broke everyones rules in here tonight, had a bowl of pasta, an apple and a cup of coffee all within 1 hour of class.

i have dinner right before class everynight along with a coffee.

i never feel sick or anything but thats just me, if i dont eat before hand im usually tired in class

I'll usually try to eat something light a couple hours before so I'm not feeling too hungry, and then a banana on my way to class. If I can't eat a couple hours before I'll usually have a PBJ sandwidge and milk an hour before (I avoid drinking milk less than half an hour before hand).

i won't eat anything less than three hours before i go, minimum of 3 hours. i've had things as small as peanuts and have puked them up. i usually try to have a protein like tuna or eggs and then fruits and vegetables or something light and living. gives you extra energy.

i was under the impression a redbull is syrupy and lots of sugar. wouldnt that make you sick when exercising?

Eat at least an hour before you go, any sooner could (does to me) make you lazy, slow, and lethargic.

I agree and watch what you eat by avoiding foods that may not agree with you.

i was under the impression a redbull is syrupy and lots of sugar. wouldnt that make you sick when exercising?

it's definitely too sugary, but doesn't seem very syrupy to me...and i haven't had a soda in 10 years.

redbull before jiu jitsu has never made me sick...quite the opposite actually. however, it still doesn't seem like a good idea so i try not to do it too often.

Back